Australia: Snake bites ex-Gaddafi bodyguard during toilet break

webfact

Snake bites ex-Gaddafi bodyguard during toilet break
By Ashley Donnelly
BBC News

GREGORY: -- A former Gaddafi family bodyguard who became a bartender in the Australian outback has been bitten by a snake while urinating in a bush.

Australian man Gary Peters was bodyguard to Saadi Gaddafi, the son of former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, but now works in a Queensland pub.

The 52-year-old was drinking with friends after a shift on Wednesday when he stepped outside to relieve himself.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35940376

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-04-01

So it was the snakes turn to be a guard-- against against liquid-littering of the bush.

Apparently he didnt get much venom and so the snake didnt get much blood-alcohol in return. rolleyes.gif

Jokes aside, he was very lucky and even though the Mulga (King Brown) is pretty dangerous it is a member of the black snake family, not brown.

So it could have been worse with a brown.

I've seen snakes inside toilets up-country here in Oz so you takes yer chances inside our outside and he was 2 metres outside.

Very lucky it wasn't a Brown Snake. He'd be in serious trouble very quickly.

A tourniquet? Well he isn't going to survive a snake bite. A pressure bandage next time dopey.

Snake venom travels through the lymphatic system to the central nervous system it does not travel through the arteries. A pressure bandage applied to the entire limb effectively slows down the low pressure lymphatic system.

Tourists!

Very lucky it wasn't a Brown Snake. He'd be in serious trouble very quickly.

A tourniquet? Well he isn't going to survive a snake bite. A pressure bandage next time dopey.

Snake venom travels through the lymphatic system to the central nervous system it does not travel through the arteries. A pressure bandage applied to the entire limb effectively slows down the low pressure lymphatic system.

Tourists!

Tourists - nah, just too much Hollywood.

They always use a bowie knife to make a cut, suck the poison out and then spit it out, and then apply a tourniquet - often their belt and a bit of stick for twisting.

Reminds me of an old joke.

Two men are in the outback and one gets bitten on his member by a snake. The other rushes back to town for the only doctor around.

The doctor was in the middle of birthing a baby, so could not go back with him but said, "you will have to cut an "X" over the bite, then suck the blood and poison out of it."

The man asks, "well, what if I don't do that."

"Then he is going to die," was the doctor's response.

So the man rode back to his friend, "Where's the doctor" said the friend. "He cannot come" was the reply.

"Well, what did he say?" asked the bitten man.

"He said you're going to die."

Call me prejudiced if you will but I have a hard time feeling any kind of sympathy for a guy who worked as a bodyguard for the Kadhafi family.

I know the old arguments that 'someone's gotta do the job' and 'he was just a paid servant, not involved in any of the harm done by his employers' ... but it sounds too much like the Swiss banks saying they took in Nazi assets (along with those of mafia dons and demented dictators around the world) only because it was their job to do so. sick.gif

Working for dangerous snakes and ending up bitten by a snake is strangely karmic, no matter what.

Archived