PM envisages 20-30 percent of used water to be recycled

rooster59

PM envisages 20-30 percent of used water to be recycled

post-247607-0-57274200-1459549435_thumb.

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has envisaged that between 20-30 percent of the polluted water released from households and industries can be recycled for reuse.

In his weekly nationwide address on Friday night, he said that several industries have been recycling their discharged water and the other sectors should be able to do so once they have the knowhow to be made available by the Science, Agriculture, Industry and Interior ministries which have been assigned by the government to come up with the knowhow.

He suggested Israel and Singapore as good examples that Thailand should look at and learn their lesson on water recycling.

The prime minister also promised that his government would look into all cases which were mishandled by the police or the public prosecutors to ensure fairness to all parties concerned.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157929

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-02

Seems like a set of numb nuts are running Thailand , this technology has been around for decades, also there is desalination, however it must be remembered that it comes at a price and any fast tracking or government to government ( The Prayut transparency ) idea's for these projects , think again , they need to be done correctly , hardly what has been the norm so far....................................... coffee1.gif

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has envisaged that between 20-30 percent of the polluted water released from households and industries can be recycled for reuse."

The same way he has envisaged democracy and peace throughout Thailand under his leadership. It is one thing to look at the successes of other countries and delude himself into thinking he can do the same, and another thing to actually accomplish it.

Yes, 20-30 percent of polluted water can be recycled, but not if everyone involved is included because of their present status, only cares about their own recognition, and is trying to line their pockets with graft money.

Edited by jaltsc

Science, Agriculture, Industry and Interior ministries which have been assigned by the government to come up with the knowhow.

He suggested Israel and Singapore as good examples that Thailand should look at and learn their lesson on water recycling.

It looks like the Prayut regime will soon DISCOVER water recycling technology. That will happen quicker than ever discovering democracy unfortunately.

In the UK in 1974 - 1976, we had a drought which led to water rationing. The water companies introduced water metering so that each company had to pay for their water according to usage. Prior to that they paid a flat fee based on rateable value. Car, lorry and bus washes were closed down unless they had 95% water recycling. I was managing director of a water and waste treatment company so we installed 1,000s of water recycling systems all over the world. Most of these systems offered a payback of 2 years due to savings on water and sewerage treatment charges. In 1994 my Thai agent suggested I join him and moved here. The problem here is that industrialists do not pay enough for their water so they have no incentive to recycle water.

In contrast, the Singapore Government installed many of my systems to recycle water, as Singapore is an Island with little water resources and was dependent on Malaysia to supply water. My agent was behind the Company NEWater referred to in the article, which uses membranes to reclaim waste water to produce drinking water.

I have installed a number of water recycling systems here but mainly on industrial estates where water charges are higher and there is strict control on discharge water quality. From my experience there is a lot of water wasted by Companies through not controlling their manufacturing processes. Unless the water charges are increased there is little incentive to recycle water.

The opposition to the construction of the Yom River Dam has led first of all to the devasting previous floods and secondly it would have provided more water for irrigation and to control the down stream salinity. Having said that the MWA maximum salinity standard of 0.25gm/l is ok when there is not a drought situation and they could have kept a lot more water in the upstream dams and maintain a standard of a maximum 0.60gml, which is still considered good drinking water.

It annoys the hell out of me to flush urine down the toilet with clean water, always has. I configured my toilet so that I don't get a full flush unless I hold the lever down, which helps. I use a stainless bowl to shave and pour the water in the toilet instead of flushing. These are not ideal solutions but every little bit helps I guess.

Seems like a set of numb nuts are running Thailand , this technology has been around for decades, also there is desalination, however it must be remembered that it comes at a price and any fast tracking or government to government ( The Prayut transparency ) idea's for these projects , think again , they need to be done correctly , hardly what has been the norm so far....................................... coffee1.gif

People upcountry who take many showers a day to cool down should just do that in their garden under a tree. So the water is used by the tree, that wouldn't cost much extra.

In 1983 I worked at a farm in Saudi ( built in 1981 ), all of the water from the processing factory was recycled, producing 300MT per day. This water was then used for the evaporative cooling systems in the livestock houses.

Sewage and other waste water from the accommodation quarters ( close to 400 people on site ) was recycled and used for gardens.

A desalination plant was built 6Kms away ( as the crow flies ) producing 600MT water per day.

Any additional water required, high summer temps 50 - 60C, was purchased from "the" local prince.

The farm had solar energy for some buildings and a gas turbine power station big enough for a small town.

In Jeddah the desal plant worked under French management, when turned over to locals it stopped working.

So much ground water is now being removed that Jeddah is sinking.

In Greek Cyprus way back in the early 90's all new buildings had to have solar panels for domestic heating / water heating.

Singapore now produces 450,000M3 a day from desal, however they don't have much choice. Bangkok alone states it uses 5 million M3 a day.

Would it be possible to use Thai oil for the power plants to run desal plants instead of exporting it ?

My point here is that Thailand has sun and sea, why not use technologies to sit side by side ( if possible ). If they cant sit side by side because they spoil the view then, build a solar plant somewhere else to put enough energy into the grid to cover the desal plants usage.

I suppose at the end of the day ALL governments are only 'short term' - so why bother investing !

In 1983 I worked at a farm in Saudi ( built in 1981 ), all of the water from the processing factory was recycled, producing 300MT per day. This water was then used for the evaporative cooling systems in the livestock houses.

Sewage and other waste water from the accommodation quarters ( close to 400 people on site ) was recycled and used for gardens.

A desalination plant was built 6Kms away ( as the crow flies ) producing 600MT water per day.

Any additional water required, high summer temps 50 - 60C, was purchased from "the" local prince.

The farm had solar energy for some buildings and a gas turbine power station big enough for a small town.

In Jeddah the desal plant worked under French management, when turned over to locals it stopped working.

In Greek Cyprus way back in the early 90's all new buildings had to have solar panels for domestic heating / water heating.

Singapore now produces 450,000M3 a day from desal, however they don't have much choice. Bangkok alone states it uses 5 million M3 a day.

Would it be possible to use Thai oil for the power plants to run desal plants instead of exporting it ?

My point here is that Thailand has sun and sea, why not use technologies to sit side by side ( if possible ). If they cant sit side by side because they spoil the view then, build a solar plant somewhere else to put enough energy into the grid to cover the desal plants usage.

I suppose at the end of the day ALL governments are only 'short term' - so why bother investing !

No. Thailand is a net importer of oil, coal and natural gas.

water here is far, far too cheap

Yes your absolutely correct its far to cheap. This comment by the PM reminds me of Martin Luther Jr.'s speech "I had a dream" yes the PM is only dreaming on this one. You need reality and perseverance not grandiose speeches to carry the day.

You put forth many great ideas but in the end it all costs money. This is where the plan falters and the hot air expelled by the PM takes over. Blundering and blustering along is the order of the day here. Money is only spent when a crisis hits a wall and effects tourism. Then the heralds blow the horns and a "plan" is rolled out to much fanfare and government pats on the back. Its all politics low on substance and reality. I cannot remember the name of the politician but his words always remind me of critical situations here. "Never let a good crisis go to waste"

Edited by elgordo38

Normal tap water is usually black and undrinkable, imagine what the Thai version of recycled water would look and smell like.

Rubbish.

I've been drinking tap water for years. It is neither black nor smelly. But hey, that's where I come from.

What does this have to do with restoring democracy to the nation?

I would like to see someone with some serious knowledge about Thailand's future water issues and how issues may/not be met start a thread on the topic. It's been on my mind a great deal as I once again ponder a future condo purchase.

The politics here is just so broken and poisonous.

I'm very much considering moving in the long term, I think Thailand's problems are insurmountable given the politics and corruption. I can foresee a day in 2022 when Bangkok has run dry. The provs are already struggling.

So it's move to Ranong or ?

Science, Agriculture, Industry and Interior ministries which have been assigned by the government to come up with the knowhow.

It looks like the Prayut regime will soon DISCOVER water recycling technology. That will happen quicker than ever discovering democracy unfortunately.

Or perhaps it means that the best and quickest systems appropriate to industrial and domestic application is what they are expected to "come up with".

On the other hand just because Thais did not invent beer does not mean they are incapable of innovation.

Normal tap water is usually black and undrinkable, imagine what the Thai version of recycled water would look and smell like.

Rubbish.

I've been drinking tap water for years. It is neither black nor smelly. But hey, that's where I come from.

What does this have to do with restoring democracy to the nation?

It seems you have "cabin fever" from the symptoms you display!

This thread is about recycling water to the nation! Cabin fever causes one to be delusional, and its non treatable.

Edited by Hawk

The PM is like a 6th grader giving a book report on water reuse.

Sure, where waste water is actually captured and treated, reuse is possible. Great idea; however copying Singapore and Israel probably is a stretch; I would suggest looking for model efforts in countries similar to Thailand in Southeast Asia or other tropical zones.

However, the PM did not get properly briefed. According to The Nation, as reported in 2012, Thailand only captures and treats 20% of its waste water. The rest is directly discharged (to surface or underground).

So the real challenge for Thailand is to expand the extent of sewers and treatment systems.

Just ask anybody who lives in a coastal community in Thailand - which is needed as a higher priority, reuse or treatment?

People upcountry who take many showers a day to cool down should just do that in their garden under a tree. So the water is used by the tree, that wouldn't cost much extra.

My comment indirectly asks the question , who in the water authority knows anything about recycle water management, hence numb nuts, without going into details this has been in the Western UNI's curriculum for decades , you can't tell me they have never heard or studied some sort of course, the question is what the bloody hell is going on. Your idea to shower under a tree doesn't address the issue and doesn't fix the problem , you still will have a shortage of water .

Edited by chainarong