Biofertiliser and Innoculant Trials

OK I'm looking for some help. I want to establish some initial trials in Isaan for a range of biological innoculants I am working with. I am only here briefly this trip but would like to get the ball rolling.

Among the range is an antagonist microbe based fertiliser which is designed to combat soil pathogens that cause damping off and leaf curl. So if you are interested please get in touch. I'll supply a batch by post/bus if you are prepared to give it a try and report results.

It has only been a day since my post. 110 views but no responses, likes, or PM's. Has anyone who has tried seed raising or growing seedlings and suddenly had them all keel over at the ground, read this topic? Well I sure have and I would be interested in your experiences. There some farang vegetables and flowers I am determined to grow.

Yes just had 12 Papaya seedlings up and die over night. Were all looking healthy then over night a big die off. Not all seedings just some. Its not the first time too. A while back had a mass die off of Pepper plants too. 7.5-10cm tall all looking good and strong next morning got up and just about all had keeled over. Like what to hell is going on?

Would like to help you out but leaving Thailand here in 2 weeks and might be a while till get back. Maybe after I get back and start growing stuff again we can get in contact.

Yes just had 12 Papaya seedlings up and die over night. Were all looking healthy then over night a big die off. Not all seedings just some. Its not the first time too. A while back had a mass die off of Pepper plants too. 7.5-10cm tall all looking good and strong next morning got up and just about all had keeled over. Like what to hell is going on?

Would like to help you out but leaving Thailand here in 2 weeks and might be a while till get back. Maybe after I get back and start growing stuff again we can get in contact.

Plant pathogens. Exactly what I am trying to deal with. Many exist as spores until conditions are right, so it will take some time to clear the "seedbank". This stuff is antagonistic microorganisms which can control and inhibit soil born plant pathogens especially, root rot disease of economic crops such as durian, orange, cassava, sugar cane, maize, rice and vegetable. Main constituents are 2 strains of indigenous trichodermia. Stay in touch.

Here in Malaysia, I'm hearing anecdotal reports on biochar from waste coconut (shell/husk) charcoal production being used by farmers in their banana crops to help with fungal disease (I assume Fusariam). I've not got access to these farmers yet but MARDI are interested. Biochar should be a great carrier for your biology.

Cheers, Trevor

http://sea-biochar.blogspot.com/

Here in Malaysia, I'm hearing anecdotal reports on biochar from waste coconut (shell/husk) charcoal production being used by farmers in their banana crops to help with fungal disease (I assume Fusariam). I've not got access to these farmers yet but MARDI are interested. Biochar should be a great carrier for your biology.

Cheers, Trevor

http://sea-biochar.blogspot.com/

Absolutely. I have used biochar (carbonised rice husk) for years. There is a long term benefit of using carbonised materials, they do not degrade as fast as other carbon source habitats like straw. Straw provides microbe habitats because it is hollow but it decomposes quickly in a microbe rich environment. If the biology present forms spores or can become dormant, then by populating the biochar with the organisms they can be incorporated into pelleted fertilisers etc.. for storage and transport and then released on incorporation with the soil and crops.

I am a believer....

Over the last couple of years I have been looking more closely at the types of beneficial organisms that will provide the desired effects. Part of that study has lead me to believe that the naturally occurring biology is deficient and could be supplemented with specific fungi and bacteria to increase the effects. Not only do the right microbes have to be present, theyhave to be present in large numbers.

And that is the reason I started this thread. I need to learn more and have input from like minded people. Doors are open...

• 5 months later...

Hi IA, I have not visited for a while. Looks like you are continuing the good work.

I am trying to grow veggies for my wife's restaurant. Mainly using AP and bioponics. Would be interested to take part in the trials.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ II using Tapatalk

Hey IA, Good on you, I didn't notice this discussion before. I can't participate in trials there in Thailand but I have been using biological inoculants here in California..  There is a lot of Research and Development and new products coming out every year.  It's the hottest market in the huge organic growing movement and newly legal cannabis production.  The same thing must be going on in Australia.  I've been very interested and trying to search for  more information.

The shops catering to cannabis growers can't keep Actinovate on the shelves, it's good for soil borne disease and some foliar also.  I use Double Nickel Biofungicide for foliar issues.  I use products from Growth Products company which has done a lot of R & D and come up with some unique products incorporating soil biology.

But I never lose sight of the fact that the most important plant health care program is to do soil testing and prescription amendments. The success of the bio inoculants will depend on the soil medium in which they reside and colonize the roots and seeds.  Basic soil and water management is required for the biology to thrive. 

I'm attaching some product labels.  You may be interested to see the ingredients ,specific strains of bacteria and fungi that are used in each, and for which plant disease conditions they address.

Actinovate Label.pdf

actinovate-ag-usa-5-13098.pdf

DoubleNickel_LC_label.pdf

Zen-O-Spore-Brochure.pdf

Zen-O-Spore-Label.pdf

Regalia-Specimen-Label-REGSPE022.00.pdf

Turf_Companion_Biological_Fungicide.pdf