Millions in the bank, not allowed a credit card...any chance?

My bank will give me one if I have another account to cover it ,this was after I made such a fuss when they said you could not have a card if you were over 65,but my Thai mother in law who is 79 has one amazing Thailand

Lemme guess, your MiL was younger than 65 when they issued hers.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bank will give me one if I have another account to cover it ,this was after I made such a fuss when they said you could not have a card if you were over 65,but my Thai mother in law who is 79 has one amazing Thailand

Lemme guess, your MiL was younger than 65 when they issued hers.

nope she got it about 4 years ago,don't know why as she doesn't need credit,but there you go

Mind you if she is like the wife she used it and pays the bill at the end of the month,I just want it for the internet

Edited by i claudius

... Yes ...I also have a BB Credit Card ...I'll decide which to use when I find out what/if there is any advantage in using the CIMB one.

Is that an unsecured BB credit card? I saw an advert at my local BB branch that simply said "Credit card for foreigners. Apply now" but I never made an inquiry as I assumed it required a new account with a deposit to secure the plastic.

NanLaew, on 04 Apr 2016 - 12:58, said:
JAS21, on 03 Apr 2016 - 17:58, said:

... Yes ...I also have a BB Credit Card ...I'll decide which to use when I find out what/if there is any advantage in using the CIMB one.

Is that an unsecured BB credit card? I saw an advert at my local BB branch that simply said "Credit card for foreigners. Apply now" but I never made an inquiry as I assumed it required a new account with a deposit to secure the plastic.

Secured ... 100,000thb in a time deposit account

Good to know and not too financially burdensome. May I ask of the 16 credit cards that BB currently offer, which one you get with this time deposit? I would assume it's a bog-standard VISA card, no?

Which branch allowed you to do it?

Some do it No problem , some say it's impossible from what I gather, I think it's up to the managers policy on non nationals...

Amazing how a grown man in this day and age, with millions, is waiting for a work permit to work in Thailand?

Plus has zero credit in Thailand or in their home country?

With a verifiable income and good credit history you can get a pile of credit cards from every bank.

Of course if you are one of those "educators" earning 20k a month, maybe you do not have enough income to qualify and need a secured card.

I never paid much attention to Thai credit cards, I use US no fee/cash back card. This thread sent me to BB card site. Wow, they do have some pretty good promotions running, although didn't go through the details. I might have a look at this myself.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/Pages/CreditCardPromotion.aspx

Does BB point out that, unlike with US credit cards, you have no statutory protection from credit card fraud with any Thai CC? So, that means you are on the hook for all charges on the card including fraudulent ones. While it's possible that a bank may decide to make you whole in the event of fraud such a step is entirely at their discretion.

No promotion could persuade me to assume such a risk.

Amazing how a grown man in this day and age, with millions, is waiting for a work permit to work in Thailand?

With a verifiable income and good credit history you can get a pile of credit cards from every bank.

Of course if you are one of those "educators" earning 20k a month, maybe you do not have enough income to qualify and need a secured card.

How do you get a good credit history in Thailand ?

I guess by using the credit card and always paying the bills on time.... But actually I am not even sure if Thailand have a credit history.....

CaptHaddock, on 04 Apr 2016 - 19:14, said:
55Jay, on 03 Apr 2016 - 20:56, said:

I never paid much attention to Thai credit cards, I use US no fee/cash back card. This thread sent me to BB card site. Wow, they do have some pretty good promotions running, although didn't go through the details. I might have a look at this myself.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/Pages/CreditCardPromotion.aspx

Does BB point out that, unlike with US credit cards, you have no statutory protection from credit card fraud with any Thai CC? So, that means you are on the hook for all charges on the card including fraudulent ones. While it's possible that a bank may decide to make you whole in the event of fraud such a step is entirely at their discretion.

Yes ... I had that view when I first came here. Succumbed when I knew that I had to book some flights. Also generally need one to book hotels ... well using booking.com I do. I realize if I drop it, it could be very bad news.

I have made my ATM Card ... ATM machine use only ... and a low daily limit.

Once, whilst I was in a shop with my wife, I gave it to her to give to the cashier whilst I browsed... cashier passed her the slip to sign!! My wife actually looks Thai, because she is, and she definitely doesn't look male. I get an SMS for any payment over 1000thb and I have limited the card to 100,000thb. A credit card is just so useful.

TescoLotus or just about anywhere they never look at the card name, compare signature, if it goes through they are happy.

With debit cards being issued by MasterCard and Visa which allows internet and other payment options, what is the benefit of having a credit card. Credit cards are just that, giving you credit but as you have Millions in the bank what is the advantage

Debit card not accept some hotel .Not accept some rent car company.

And in Credit card some times have some bonus..

Credit cards are just that, giving you credit

Have debit card with credit limit.

"Debit" and "Credit" its only TYPE card as sistem look.

And have or not credit limit on account card it only Bank rules..

In some country , Bank can give for saving account Credit card with out any credit , but even same bank can give debit card with open credit..

Edited by ardokano

Now that you mention it, recall reading that here in the past, maybe that's what put me off previously. Thanks.

CaptHaddock, on 04 Apr 2016 - 19:14, said:
55Jay, on 03 Apr 2016 - 20:56, said:

Yes ... I had that view when I first came here. Succumbed when I knew that I had to book some flights. Also generally need one to book hotels ... well using booking.com I do. I realize if I drop it, it could be very bad news.

I have made my ATM Card ... ATM machine use only ... and a low daily limit.

Once, whilst I was in a shop with my wife, I gave it to her to give to the cashier whilst I browsed... cashier passed her the slip to sign!! My wife actually looks Thai, because she is, and she definitely doesn't look male. I get an SMS for any payment over 1000thb and I have limited the card to 100,000thb. A credit card is just so useful.

TescoLotus or just about anywhere they never look at the card name, compare signature, if it goes through they are happy.

Indeed. Best I've seen here in Thailand is the clerk won't accept the card if the back isn't signed. So you sign it and they carry on with the transaction. We each have our own credit card with different numbers but same account, and yes, the clerks don't seem to care who signs the slip.

The card we use, Capital One Bank, has a pretty useful program called "Second Look", which picks up on what appear to be double or unusual charges. Instead of blocking the card straight away now, they send an email asking if everything is alright. You can respond directly from the email via two buttons on the screen - All OK or No, This is Not My Charge, which prompts the charge dispute process. They also provide a monthly credit score monitoring email, from which I learned 2 months ago, I've been the victim of "True Name" credit fraud. wacko.png

I guess by using the credit card and always paying the bills on time.... But actually I am not even sure if Thailand have a credit history.....

There is a credit history in Thailand.

My comment to bwpage3 was in reply to where he said with a good credit history you can get a pile of cards.... Before they will give you them you obviously need a credit history.

Now that you mention it, recall reading that here in the past, maybe that's what put me off previously. Thanks.

I'm not going to argue that Thai Consumer Protection Laws equal such laws as in many western countries...nope, not going to do that. However Thai banks do have processes/policies for lost/stolen cards, disputes against charges you didn't make, etc.

For example review the Bangkok weblinks on their credit cards especially the FAQ link, Forms Download/Credit Card Dispute links, etc. A few are listed below.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/creditcards/Pages/CreditCardPromotion.aspx

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/FAQs/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/creditcards/formsdownload/Pages/Default.aspx

... I am happy with my debit cards smile.png

... until you try and use one to pay for a hotel room in Singapore, or pay for a rental car in Houston.

I would pay with cash as usual :-) and try to pay with a CC in here, you will have to pay 5% more

The hotel may take your folding stuff but good luck with the car rental. Even Avis at Suvarnabhumi don't take cash any more.

And last year in the US (Connecticut) I had to use a credit card for a car rental. It was booked by my sister, but they refused her debit card. They also refused cash from her.

Edited by spode

With debit cards being issued by MasterCard and Visa which allows internet and other payment options, what is the benefit of having a credit card. Credit cards are just that, giving you credit but as you have Millions in the bank what is the advantage

BIG nono using a debit card. If it gets hacked, you lose everything with no chance of getting it back. If fraud goes against a credit card, the bleeding can be stopped quickly and the liability falls on the credit card issuer to pay. You lose nothing.

I wouldn't travel with a debit card anywhere. Not to mention debit cards are NOT accepted readily. Credit is the only way to go.

Foreigners are treated 3rd class when it come to Credit Cards.

8 years with the same bank and same employer, when asking for a regular CC, not secured:

Ohh cannot, farang high credit risk. bah.gif

I have a Thai Amex Card (not Thai Airways) which doesn't require a fixed amount in an account. A surprising number of shops accept it such as Big C, Tescos, Central and Powerbuy to name a few. And they've just waived my annual fee when I asked.

Neither BB or CIMB charge me for their credit cards. BB charge me annually for my ATM Card ...CIMB don't

BIG nono using a debit card. If it gets hacked, you lose everything with no chance of getting it back. If fraud goes against a credit card, the bleeding can be stopped quickly and the liability falls on the credit card issuer to pay. You lose nothing.

I wouldn't travel with a debit card anywhere. Not to mention debit cards are NOT accepted readily. Credit is the only way to go.

Debit cards are widely accepted in Thailand, even the Indian cloth seller in Worowat Market accepted mine yesterday.

been years since I got my credit cards but along with the work permit don't they also want 6 months worth of payslips as well ?

It used to be 2 years of pay slips when I tried a few years ago on a Non B and W.P. For a regular "unsecured" credit card.

I use a thai debit card which works in most places, some thai banks have a separate online account that isnt connected to your card so you can transfer money via the internet to your debit card. This way if you get ripped off they can only withdraw whats in your debit card account.

I would go for citibank for a visa, Its in Thailand and recognized worldwide.

The hotel may take your folding stuff but good luck with the car rental. Even Avis at Suvarnabhumi don't take cash any more.

The reason car rental companies only take credit cards is that when you rent out a car they make an additional pending charge against any possible damage. When you return it, all being well, they cancel the charge as a charge back transaction. You can't do that with debit cards which is why they don't accept them or cash.

My experience is car companies are quite happy here to take a security deposit of 10,000 baht along with the daily hire fee.

Have never had a problem booking airfares on line with a debit card.

Think I may have had one occasion when I was told the business did not accept debit cards. My response was you'd rather accept the card of some deadbeat maxed out to his credit limit, than someone with solid cash in the bank. In that case, I prefer not to do business with you.

As stated...most any Thai bank...definitely Bangkok Bank.

Are you kidding? BB are the hardest bank in the country to get a credit card at.

Not a "secured" card (i.e., requires you opening a locked savings account as collateral). You are then zero risk to the bank plus they use your locked account to make money like all banks do.

Now "unsecured" cards are hard to get an any Thai bank unless you have a work permit and 6 months of adequate salary.