How would motorists like it if we pedestrians began walking down the middle of the road ?

Lumbini

I walk to most places in Bangkok when there is a sidewalk to get exercise and at times it's faster than being in a car but never ride motorcycles because I have had so many friends hurt or killed on them in Thailand . It seems lately that they have invaded the sidewalks even more than before whenever there is traffic and it makes walking more difficult and dangerous in a big way . In all the years I have been in Thailand I have never once seen a policeman stopping anyone doing this . Just like running red lights or going the wrong way it seems like motorcycles are not expected to follow any laws or rules of etiquette and common sense when it comes to driving . Possibly this is why I love walking in the parks so much in Bangkok it's the one place where there are really no motorcycles to endanger you . Does it bother anyone else having to share all sidewalks in the city with rude and dangerous motorcycles riders ion a hurry and have to stay out of their way ?

Interesting quote from article below [emoji652]️

"How would motorists like it if we pedestrians began walking down the middle of the road because the pavement was a bit crowded for our liking."

The above quote is from article I just read about motorcycles on sidewalk in Bangkok but it seems on this forum putting link not allowed ?

Edited by Lumbini

Apparently riding bikes on the pavement is not illegal, not that it would stop the morons if it were. It annoys me when they drive, sometime in two opposing rows, down the middle of a road between car lanes and expect YOU to move out of the way for them.

Elevated skywalk that runs the full length of Sukhmvit that is for pedestrians only would be possibly one of the greatest additions to the city help locals & tourist that ran above the cars , motorcycles and venders . Possibly even have a small toll that was collected from those who would love to have this option to help pay for this and patrol it ?

post-202056-14596759778243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lumbini

asoke, heading north from sukhumvit skytrain stop to the on ground train line walking on the left side of asoke. worst i have encountered, and the motorbikes arent going slow, almost have a disdain/contempt for the pedestrians. was about 3.30-4pm

Edited by shagorillaHotel

asoke, heading north from sukhumvit skytrain stop to the on ground train line walking on the left side of asoke. worst i have encountered, and the motorbikes arent going slow, almost have a disdain/contempt for the pedestrians. was about 3.30-4pm

Why didn't you use the MRT?

Elevated skywalk that runs the full length of Sukhmvit that is for pedestrians only would be possibly one of the greatest additions to the city help locals & tourist that ran above the cars , motorcycles and venders . Possibly even have a small toll that was collected from those who would love to have this option to help pay for this and patrol it ?

ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1459675976.832386.jpg

Plus it would offer the added benefit that we could walk to Pattaya.

Might be a bit expensive, though.

Cambodian border.

Cambodian border.

Yeah, I know.

But who wants to walk there?

Might be a bit expensive, though.

you'd be dead from the car fumes before you even made it out of BKK.

Why didn't you use the MRT?
i like to walk i dont particularly like the privacy deprivations encountered on the MRT. PREFER a BUS. only use mrt as absolute last resort like long journey late at night. or big bag to airport via asoke.

however this is irrelevant . one of the building i wanted to visit was en-route.

Pedestrians should know their place..

Trucks and buses rule and go before cars (trains do take them out)

Cars hate the trucks and buses so they vent their anger on motorcycles

Motorcycles almost the lowest are above pedestrians who cant even afford motor transportation\

So that leaves you guy at the bottom of the food chain..

Maybe start stepping on snails to feel better

This was written in jest.

I was of the understanding that driving on the Pavement / Sidewalk is illegal. However, overlooked by many to such a degree its become the norm.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/899113-thai-police-to-tackle-10-traffic-offences-seriously-to-ease-traffic-congestions-at-tourist-spots/

In the trial program, 10 critical traffic offences in these areas will be put in place, and strictly enforce.

They are:

Driving on pedestrian footpaths, drunk driving, driving without driver’s license, driving without seat-belts, parking at restricted zones, riding motorcycles without safety helmets, unacceptable noise levels from vehicles, Illegally allocating areas along streets for parking purposes, unsafe driving behavior, and pedestrians crossing roads at unspecified areas or vehicles not stopping at pedestrian crossings.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1459675976.832386.jpg

At Chidlom you can't walk over the skywalk because you need a ticket for the station.

I wonder if you get charged if you go in and out the station with a rabbitcard.

I see pedestrians walking down the middle of the road or jaywalking all the time.. Never get finned..

Would be better if they just walked down the middle of the road all the time to free up the side walks for motorbikes.

Sent from my c64

Yes you do, and there's a sign to that effect, I think it's 20 Baht, but it might be more.

So after shopping in Central Chidlom it's wise to take the ground floor exit and go up the skywalk after chidlom to go to Central World.

On the pavements i rarely have problem with motocy's but i won't move for them. Maybe they don't want to test me out.

I walk on the road when the sidewalk is too narrow or too busy, many people do so. I also refuse to walk in water because i have leather slippers and don't want any disease from dirty wastewater, you even might get electrocuted by it.

BKK would be soo much better with clean wide sidewalks....many more tourists would come if it was like that.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1459675976.832386.jpg

At Chidlom you can't walk over the skywalk because you need a ticket for the station.

Yes you do, and there's a sign to that effect, I think it's 20 Baht, but it might be more.

Actually it's 15 baht (the fare for one stop). Your Rabbit card is also charged for one trip or 15 baht.

who said the BMA (Bangkok Metropolitan Administration) dont care! they did this specifically to stop the motobikes

DSC01342.jpg

DSC01343.jpg

Chit Lom BTS Station above, Big C side of Phloen Chit Road just around the corner from the center of the world.

yeah thats electrical cables in the ditch.

errrm could be nana bts did a bit of walking that day,

Edited by shagorillaHotel

There are 2 sides to this issue.

On the one hand the OP is correct to complain about the bikes riding too fast on the sidewalk without any regard for pedestrians. It is inconsiderate and dangerous.

However, on the other hand there are many pedestrians who cross the street wherever they choose without any consideration of the traffic flow and expect the vehicles to stop for them. There are pedestrians who can't be bothered to walk a bit away from a busy intersection and instead flag down a taxi or a bike right there at the intersection thus blocking traffic in all directions. Same for stopping and getting our of a taxi. Not to mention pedestrians choosing to walk on the road to avoid uneven and vendor stall cluttered sidewalks.

It all comes down to the lack of consideration for a fellow human beings (typical here), high population density, and poor traffic planning.

But it always gives me a smile to see a self-righteous tourist getting upset about the bikes on sidewalks and trying to block the bike's path to prove a point. Which is of course idiotic.

There's finite amount of pavement in this city and people will be using all of it to get to where they have to go. When i resort to using a sidewalk on my bike during especially heavy traffic i ride slowly to make sure that nobody is endangered or even scared. Simple consideration. And expect the same in return.

As far as the enforcement i did get a ticket once for riding on the sidewalk next to soi 26, so the rules do exist and are enforced sometimes.

There are 2 sides to this issue.

On the one hand the OP is correct to complain about the bikes riding too fast on the sidewalk without any regard for pedestrians. It is inconsiderate and dangerous.

However, on the other hand there are many pedestrians who cross the street wherever they choose without any consideration of the traffic flow and expect the vehicles to stop for them. There are pedestrians who can't be bothered to walk a bit away from a busy intersection and instead flag down a taxi or a bike right there at the intersection thus blocking traffic in all directions. Same for stopping and getting our of a taxi. Not to mention pedestrians choosing to walk on the road to avoid uneven and vendor stall cluttered sidewalks.

It all comes down to the lack of consideration for a fellow human beings (typical here), high population density, and poor traffic planning.

But it always gives me a smile to see a self-righteous tourist getting upset about the bikes on sidewalks and trying to block the bike's path to prove a point. Which is of course idiotic.

There's finite amount of pavement in this city and people will be using all of it to get to where they have to go. When i resort to using a sidewalk on my bike during especially heavy traffic i ride slowly to make sure that nobody is endangered or even scared. Simple consideration. And expect the same in return.

As far as the enforcement i did get a ticket once for riding on the sidewalk next to soi 26, so the rules do exist and are enforced sometimes.