How would motorists like it if we pedestrians began walking down the middle of the road ?

Lumbini

Comment applies to Chiang Mai/ Chiang Rai.

I consider cars to be considerably less dangerous to pedestrians than motorbikes. Cars are usually considerate when you are trying to cross a road, and it's possible to get halfway. Motorbikes are usually moving faster, and weaving in and out of traffic. 150 kg of motorbike is just as effective for breaking the hip or leg of a pedestrian as a car.

I consider cars to be considerably less dangerous to pedestrians than motorbikes. Cars are usually considerate when you are trying to cross a road, and it's possible to get halfway. Motorbikes are usually moving faster, and weaving in and out of traffic. 150 kg of motorbike is just as effective for breaking the hip or leg of a pedestrian as a car.

Motorbikes can avoid you much more easily, though. Ever crossed the road somewhere like Saigon where the traffic is all bikes? You can just walk and let them flow around you like a river.

Get in a car's way and you're in much more trouble.

Motorbikes can avoid you much more easily, though. Ever crossed the road somewhere like Saigon where the traffic is all bikes? You can just walk and let them flow around you like a river.

I noticed in a recent visit to Vietnam that drivers seemed to be far more sensible than Thai drivers, if you exclude the cacophony of klaxons.

What you say is probably true for average motorbike drivers. In Thailand, there's a ratbag fringe ( young ) who drive way too fast for the conditions.

I drive both a scooter and a car. My comment is partly based on observation, and partly on the fact two residents in my condo have been hit by scooters crossing Lamphun Road. In both cases, the scooter drivers failed to stop. No one has been hit by a car thus far. Perhaps not statistically valid; however, straws in the wind.

Perhaps. But it's not the m/c that's the problem - it's the rider. And their abilities are often more questionable.

You think Thai people want to kill you?

And yet you still choose to live here? Weird.

Constant complaint made by people that just need something to complain about mate

And stupid comments made by people who just need to say something. Of course, for all I know, you might be happy avoiding m/cs on the pavement. As for the 'choose to live here' observation, do you somehow think tourists are blessed by a Thai charm, so as not to fall foul of these idiots?

I wonder if you get charged if you go in and out the station with a rabbitcard.

Yes you do, and there's a sign to that effect, I think it's 20 Baht, but it might be more.

So after shopping in Central Chidlom it's wise to take the ground floor exit and go up the skywalk after chidlom to go to Central World.

On the pavements i rarely have problem with motocy's but i won't move for them. Maybe they don't want to test me out.

I walk on the road when the sidewalk is too narrow or too busy, many people do so. I also refuse to walk in water because i have leather slippers and don't want any disease from dirty wastewater, you even might get electrocuted by it.

BKK would be soo much better with clean wide sidewalks....many more tourists would come if it was like that.

I never ever move for a motorbike on the pavement, when I see a half wit riding towards me , I turn my back and try to stand where they

can't get past, then kid on I'm on the phone, he pumps his horn, I keep him back as long as I can then put my face up to his and

shout Khun antarie (dangerous).

There are 2 sides to this issue.

On the one hand the OP is correct to complain about the bikes riding too fast on the sidewalk without any regard for pedestrians. It is inconsiderate and dangerous.

However, on the other hand there are many pedestrians who cross the street wherever they choose without any consideration of the traffic flow and expect the vehicles to stop for them. There are pedestrians who can't be bothered to walk a bit away from a busy intersection and instead flag down a taxi or a bike right there at the intersection thus blocking traffic in all directions. Same for stopping and getting our of a taxi. Not to mention pedestrians choosing to walk on the road to avoid uneven and vendor stall cluttered sidewalks.

It all comes down to the lack of consideration for a fellow human beings (typical here), high population density, and poor traffic planning.

But it always gives me a smile to see a self-righteous tourist getting upset about the bikes on sidewalks and trying to block the bike's path to prove a point. Which is of course idiotic.

There's finite amount of pavement in this city and people will be using all of it to get to where they have to go. When i resort to using a sidewalk on my bike during especially heavy traffic i ride slowly to make sure that nobody is endangered or even scared. Simple consideration. And expect the same in return.

As far as the enforcement i did get a ticket once for riding on the sidewalk next to soi 26, so the rules do exist and are enforced sometimes.

If a Farang rides on the sidewalk near me, he stands a good chance of a right sore face.

On the one hand the OP is correct to complain about the bikes riding too fast on the sidewalk without any regard for pedestrians. It is inconsiderate and dangerous.

However, on the other hand there are many pedestrians who cross the street wherever they choose without any consideration of the traffic flow and expect the vehicles to stop for them. There are pedestrians who can't be bothered to walk a bit away from a busy intersection and instead flag down a taxi or a bike right there at the intersection thus blocking traffic in all directions. Same for stopping and getting our of a taxi. Not to mention pedestrians choosing to walk on the road to avoid uneven and vendor stall cluttered sidewalks.

It all comes down to the lack of consideration for a fellow human beings (typical here), high population density, and poor traffic planning.

But it always gives me a smile to see a self-righteous tourist getting upset about the bikes on sidewalks and trying to block the bike's path to prove a point. Which is of course idiotic.

There's finite amount of pavement in this city and people will be using all of it to get to where they have to go. When i resort to using a sidewalk on my bike during especially heavy traffic i ride slowly to make sure that nobody is endangered or even scared. Simple consideration. And expect the same in return.

As far as the enforcement i did get a ticket once for riding on the sidewalk next to soi 26, so the rules do exist and are enforced sometimes.

If a Farang rides on the sidewalk near me, he stands a good chance of a right sore face.

ok.

Hope you have your estate in order.

I wonder if you get charged if you go in and out the station with a rabbitcard.

Yes you do, and there's a sign to that effect, I think it's 20 Baht, but it might be more.

So after shopping in Central Chidlom it's wise to take the ground floor exit and go up the skywalk after chidlom to go to Central World.

On the pavements i rarely have problem with motocy's but i won't move for them. Maybe they don't want to test me out.

I walk on the road when the sidewalk is too narrow or too busy, many people do so. I also refuse to walk in water because i have leather slippers and don't want any disease from dirty wastewater, you even might get electrocuted by it.

BKK would be soo much better with clean wide sidewalks....many more tourists would come if it was like that.

I never ever move for a motorbike on the pavement, when I see a half wit riding towards me , I turn my back and try to stand where they

can't get past, then kid on I'm on the phone, he pumps his horn, I keep him back as long as I can then put my face up to his and

shout Khun antarie (dangerous).

I just step to the side personally. Far too many good things going on in my life to try and change the actions of millions of people by placing myself in danger/looking like an idiot.

Good luck with your crusade though.

You think Thai people want to kill you?

And yet you still choose to live here? Weird.

Constant complaint made by people that just need something to complain about mate

And stupid comments made by people who just need to say something. Of course, for all I know, you might be happy avoiding m/cs on the pavement. As for the 'choose to live here' observation, do you somehow think tourists are blessed by a Thai charm, so as not to fall foul of these idiots?

I have no problem adapting to what's required in the country I'm visiting/living. What are the options? As I mentioned above, put yourself in danger or look like an idiot trying to change the unchangeable.

As a tourist you would have done some research on the destination you were heading to wouldn't you? Further, surely it's not too hard to adjust for your 14 day vacation. Why doesn't Thailand enact more rules and step into the future of controlling traffic? Well, why don't you stay in your cotton wool, over police nanny state western country where you're number 1 and feel safe.

Soibiker

I guess you are just one of those people who love to say,'why do you live here then" 'youve been here too long' if you dont like it go back home then' Jai yen lighten up,it was written in jest,or dont you have a sense of humour any more? If that is the case,then you should go back home,cos you've been here too long,if you dont like it dont read it!!!!

I suppose there has to be an op like you on every forum.

Stock answers,standard reply's.I think you should read 'The book of snappy retort's' it may make you a more interesting person.

ok.

Self defence, he nearly ran me down. My estate? house and car in wifes name, the bulk of my money in the UK.

Would you not like to see the ignorant Farang scum end up with a sore face?

ok.

Self defence, he nearly ran me down. My estate? house and car in wifes name, the bulk of my money in the UK.

Would you not like to see the ignorant Farang scum end up with a sore face?

Personally I wouldn't like to see it. Why would violence be needed to deal with such a petty thing?

MadMuhammed. A petty thing? Is this a troll? If not your username is well suited to you.

Riding a motorcycle along a sidewalk, weaving in and out of pedestrians, putting them at risk of serious injury, probably young children among them, a petty thing????????????

I don't know where you live mate but I've only ever seen bikes going at not much more than walking speed.

And going by your hero comments of 'I never ever move for a motorbike on the pavement, when I see a half wit riding towards me , I turn my back and try to stand where they

shout Khun antarie (dangerous).' you never have to deal with them going much faster either.

How about put your dick away and start commenting with some intelligence.

Soi biker,Well that would explain it then,you having no sense of humour.I must sympathize with your family,if you have one here,and if you dont then that would explain it too.They have to have you around with no sense of humour,but some celstial,devine quest in life to bore everybody else with your benign,Old hat remarks.Listen pal,all you are to me is words on a screen,no more no less.

cheesy.gifOh Soibiker,you just wont let it go will you.The topic is nearly all worn out now.But you have to try and get the last little bit in dont you? you must be a very sad man.But you still live here.Weird. Its been a pleasure reading your absurd posts.i hope that you live a long,if boring life.I love a verbal sword fence but unfortunately you havent impressed me Just let it go now,its time for me to post more interesting posts to more interesting people on more interesting topics.If you post me again you will get the following reply.

You have reached the posting page of Khon kean Dave.We are sorry but KKD is at this moment talking to more interesting people,if you wish to leave your name and telephone number,we will be sure to get back to you at our earliest convenience.You are advised not to hold your breath.wub.pnggigglem.gif

Love and kisses KKD

cheesy.gifOh Soibiker,you just wont let it go will you.The topic is nearly all worn out now.But you have to try and get the last little bit in dont you? you must be a very sad man.But you still live here.Weird. Its been a pleasure reading your absurd posts.i hope that you live a long,if boring life.I love a verbal sword fence but unfortunately you havent impressed me Just let it go now,its time for me to post more interesting posts to more interesting people on more interesting topics.If you post me again you will get the following reply.

You have reached the posting page of Khon kean Dave.We are sorry but KKD is at this moment talking to more interesting people,if you wish to leave your name and telephone number,we will be sure to get back to you at our earliest convenience.You are advised not to hold your breath.wub.pnggigglem.gif

Love and kisses KKD

Don´t feed the troll, he loves that.

Archived