single entry tourist after visa exempt

Hello, I want to make sure I have this right. I am a U.S. citizen and stayed 30 days on a visa exempt entry. Then I extended for 30 more days at the immigration office. Now I plan to go to Phnom Penh and obtain a single entry tourist visa. Which is good for 60 days and then will I be able to get that extension for 30 more days ? Just want to make sure before i sign a 3 month apartment.

Plan on just going through agency. Lucky lucky motorcycle shop. Will they need proof of travel out of thailand. And will they want proof of exiting after 60 days or 90 days?

And if i dont want to buy the flight yet, can I just print out the last confirmation page on airasia but not buy it?

Edited by at15

You should be able to get a SETV.

It may take 3-4 days to be issued in PP unless an agent is used.

Yes plan to use agent....this onward travel thing is ridiculous though I dont want to buy a plane ticket 3 months in advance. What i did when I came to thailand was buy a flight on airasia without paying just select pay later at 7 eleven. Then i just show the confirmation and never buy it. But not sure how strict phnom penh is..

Edited by at15

Yes plan to use agent....this onward travel thing is ridiculous though I dont want to buy a plane ticket 3 months in advance. What i did when I came to thailand was buy a flight on airasia without paying just select pay later at 7 eleven. Then i just show the confirmation and never buy it. But not sure how strict phnom penh is..

I have no idea about how 'strict' PP is but if you want a hassle free experience then apply for the tourist visa in Penang or Vientiane ------------------no onward ticket will be asked for.

• Like 2

I have no idea about how 'strict' PP is but if you want a hassle free experience then apply for the tourist visa in Penang or Vientiane ------------------no onward ticket will be asked for.

thanks. penang flights are not too expensive. Im gonna go there, booking a flight....

Penang is good for at least 2 single entry tourist visas with no onward travel booked (might possibly need confirmed onward travel for a third one). Vientiane would be good for three. Absolutely no problem for the short to medium term.

would it be better to keep doing visa exempt entries then start doing SETV. or does it not matter?

Or say i exhaust SETV going 2-3 times to all cities. Then after that can I start using my visa exempt entries up to 6 times supposedly?

Edited by at15

The limits on visa exempts are quite unclear. As best as I can tell, six visa exempt entries totaling 180 days in Thailand will cause the immigration official to receive an alert hat the entry should be scrutinized more closely than normal. (This alert does not depend on whether entries are back-to-back, and the aging of the visa exempt entries until no longer considered relevant is also unclear.)

When the alert is received, at an airport, you will probably be referred to a superior official who will question you with a special emphasis on whether you can support yourself in Thailand without working illegally. If satisfied, you will be allowed entry. There is no hard limit on the number of visa exempt entries possible. However, the official will probably lecture you that you are not using visa exempt entries as intended and should get a suitable visa.

At some land borders, once an alert is shown, the immigration official may (illegally) just refuse to allow you to enter saying "the computer told him to do it". In theory, there is an appeals process against this, but in practice there is little you can do.

In other words, clear as mud. You are safe doing a few; after that who knows?

• Like 1

I think I would get a single entry tourist visa and the 30 day extension of it. Then do an out and back for a visa exempt entry and extend it. Then another SETV, extension, visa exempt and extension.

Doing it that way you would never have back to back visa exempt entries which would look much better to immigration.

• Like 1