Anywhere to buy used Treadmill/Exercise Bike in Pattaya?

giddyup

Need to be getting a bit more exercise and like the idea of a Treadmill, however a bit reluctant to spend 30,000 baht and up. Walking around my area is a health hazard what with Soi dogs etc, so a Treadmill would be a safer option. Is there a shop that deals in used exercise equipment in Pattaya?

Try the Big malls, there are always shops selling tread mills for MUCH lower (22K or so). othwerwise bahtsold or craigslist. I found particularly craigslist helpful, sold most of my things via CL, even though I had placed my ads in TV and BS too

Try the Big malls, there are always shops selling tread mills for MUCH lower (22K or so). othwerwise bahtsold or craigslist. I found particularly craigslist helpful, sold most of my things via CL, even though I had placed my ads in TV and BS too

You get what you pay for, its better to join a gym and jog on a good treadmill then to buy a cheap one yourself. Believe me you will feel the difference.

In Pattaya there are so many gyms and they are not that expensive you can go to the gym for a couple of years before you even rack up the price of a treadmill.

I workout at home (and recently at a gym too), I got a real good home gym, but its expensive. I got a rowing machine (concept 2 model D) and love it its one the best cardio machines for its price. Real good piece of kit but 55k. But for 55K you don't even buy a good treadmill. Those cheap ones wont last long.

Anyway my advice join a gym Giddyup, its well-meant advice and I know what I am talking about.

You get what you pay for, its better to join a gym and jog on a good treadmill then to buy a cheap one yourself. Believe me you will feel the difference.

In Pattaya there are so many gyms and they are not that expensive you can go to the gym for a couple of years before you even rack up the price of a treadmill.

I workout at home (and recently at a gym too), I got a real good home gym, but its expensive. I got a rowing machine (concept 2 model D) and love it its one the best cardio machines for its price. Real good piece of kit but 55k. But for 55K you don't even buy a good treadmill. Those cheap ones wont last long.

Anyway my advice join a gym Giddyup, its well-meant advice and I know what I am talking about.

There's one around the corner, I'll check out their prices. Thanks.

30000 even for second hand can only be a pissofshit...

There wouldn't be one piece of equipment which comes in as many variations of quality as a treadmill. Good quality treadmills are the most expensive of all exercise equipment.

They have to do a lot of work. It is of utmost important to understand the load capacity of a treadmill. The local thailand sports shops will not have machines which can handle the heavy load of most Farang... even for walking. Most domestic quality machines are not strong enough for running, even at light loads.

Also consider that running/walking on a treadmill is very unnatural compared to real running/walking. Once you're planted your forward foot, the machine drives it back rather than your muscles (glutes/hamstrings) as in a real walk/run.

IMO they only make sense in cold climates where people cannot walk/run outdoors in winter due to weather conditions.

Edited by tropo

I got one of those elliptical machines from Lazada. Less than 10k Baht and works great. Have it in my office where I can turn on the TV, the AC and exercise. Delivered it to my house and even set it up. Very nice.

http://www.lazada.co.th/g-sport-2-in-1-gs-b8002-591809.html

I have something very similar that I got from BigC at around the same price on sale. But it makes my knees ache so I dont use it.

IMO they only make sense in cold climates where people cannot walk/run outdoors in winter due to weather conditions.

? I find it far too humid here to do any sort of activity in the air outdoors. Even just sitting makes me sweat. Back in Europe I used to do a lot of outdoor work, even in negative temperatures or in the rain and it was much easier to support.

Swimming is about the only outdoor thing I can do here without sweating.

Edited by KittenKong

I got one of those elliptical machines from Lazada. Less than 10k Baht and works great. Have it in my office where I can turn on the TV, the AC and exercise. Delivered it to my house and even set it up. Very nice.

I have something very similar that I got from BigC at around the same price on sale. But it makes my knees ache so I dont use it.

I have the same problem, so I sit down and ride it like a bike when my knees hurt! LOL Still get OK exercise....

I have the same problem, so I sit down and ride it like a bike when my knees hurt! LOL Still get OK exercise....

Is there a motorised version?smile.png

? I find it far too humid here to do any sort of activity in the air outdoors. Even just sitting makes me sweat. Back in Europe I used to do a lot of outdoor work, even in negative temperatures or in the rain and it was much easier to support.

Swimming is about the only outdoor thing I can do here without sweating.

I agree. I did 90 minutes out at the park yesterday and it was brutal (stair climbing, chin-ups, push-ups, step-ups, dips etc).. but if I was just walking, as most people do on treadmills, the outdoor walking would have been bearable. My clothes were all dripping wet and my face the colour of beetroot. The humidity was quite low too, so I just imagine how it would have gone if that was high too, as it will be once the rain comes.

I was really trying to emphasize that treadmill walking is a poor choice of exercise compared to many others available on home exercise equipment.

I too exercise at home in aircon with fans. I row on a Concept2 rower and have some weights. Unless you want to pay ridiculous prices in Thailand from a retailer, it's cheapest to import it yourself. That cost me 56K back in 2012. Rowing is a fairly unpopular exercise in general because it's tough. (and it's only tough because people don't know how to do it right - there's quite a bit of technique involved). The rowing machines in most gyms collect dust in a corner somewhere, so I would highly recommend any potential candidate first spend some time on one at a gym to see if they like it rather than rush out to buy one and end up with an expensive dust collector at home. Unless one has a back condition, or knees which can't handle it, rowing is one of the best cardio exercises.

Consider that rowing is the only cardio exercise which exercises the whole body - upper and lower - most muscle groups.

On the plus side, if one buys a Concept2 rower, for about 55K or so you own a professional piece of equipment and the best rowing machine on the planet. If you want the best treadmill, you're probably going to pay around USD 20,000.

Edited by tropo

The question is: do your knees hurt because the machine is of poor quality, or you have a knee condition which doesn't like the elliptical movement.

I have osteoarthritis in my knees so a lot of exercises can cause pain. The elliptical movement is not really all that good for knees.

If money was no object, I'd buy a Cybex Arc Trainer. I used one for a year at California Wow and got amazing results. It's the one machine I can work really intensely without hurting my knees. Few gyms have them in Pattaya. Centara Grand (Naklua) and Fitz (Royal Cliff) have them. I think they're about 300K new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3eRbi1Uk5E

The question is: do your knees hurt because the machine is of poor quality, or you have a knee condition which doesn't like the elliptical movement.

Neither. I'm just too old and too fat and everything aches.

Neither. I'm just too old and too fat and everything aches.

Understood. But knees are quite important for most types of exercise, so it's a good idea to know why they are hurting. Is it arthritis or some other type of injury?

Mine hurt doing all types of activities, but I've found the least destructive types of exercises. For example, I find rowing is actually therapeutic to my knees. Biking (something I've done intensely most of my life) is a no-no. Careful (slow) squatting to a box works well. The Cybex Arc trainer was perfect. (sad I can't do this no more). Elliptical isn't good. Careful stair climbing and step-ups are good.

Maintaining muscle strength/mass with osteoarthritis is a challenge, but a challenge well worth the effort. In general I would recommend to anyone that if the knees hurt doing something - stop doing that. Of course if they hurt doing everything, then you have to find the activities that hurt the least. Some activities can reduce knee pain which is something I've discovered with rowing. Other knee problems might not do so well with rowing. You have to find out what works for you.

My knees ache (a little) if I do anything that involves bending them and pushing my own weight back up. So, as you mention, I have long avoided doing such things. I can walk for miles without any trouble so I prefer that but I avoid stairs and steps and such like. I think it's just a combination of age and weight as I mentioned, and I dont worry about it too much.

My knees ache (a little) if I do anything that involves bending them and pushing my own weight back up. So, as you mention, I have long avoided doing such things. I can walk for miles without any trouble so I prefer that but I avoid stairs and steps and such like. I think it's just a combination of age and weight as I mentioned, and I dont worry about it too much.

Probably arthritis. An X-ray would soon tell you.

• 3 months later...

I have arthritis in one knee and find that when I'm carrying too much weight I also get pain in the other knee and my ankles. I do half an hour a day on an exercise bike and a few minutes with dumbbells, plus plenty of brisk walking around whilst carrying a rucksack (in the cooler UK). Jogging or using a treadmill is a no-no for me. It's that old chestnut really: too much weight = more pain versus taking it off also = some pain. The exercise bike gives me no knee pain, if that helps anyone. The older one gets, the greater the need to exercise. Do it while you can and reap the benefit in later, and hopefully longer, life. Keep the mind active, too.