Thai Health Min to improve public safety at railway intersections

webfact

Min of Public Health to improve public safety at railway intersections

BANGKOK, 05 April 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has instructed all provinces to improve public safety at railway intersections, in a bid to reduce related accidents.

Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn revealed that the ministry is collaborating with several related agencies to prevent road accidents, following a recent incident where a train collided with a tour bus in Nakhon Pathom province.

All provinces are to compile a list of risk areas and improve safety for at least five areas per quarter year. Special attention will be given to railway intersections.

The ministry has also moved to improve data collection on injuries and deaths from road accidents, as well as emergency medical services. It has targeted a 21% reduction in traffic-related deaths.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-05 footer_n.gif

Good effort, although weren't there big safety campaigns following previous train/vehicle collisions?

Sooner or later, some of it might actually get done.

Some of it is the fault of motorists, and you just can't fix stupid no matter how many signs and flashing light barriers you install.

"The Ministry of Public Health has instructed all provinces to improve public safety at railway intersections, in a bid to reduce related accidents."

I feel like I'm in the middle of the movie "Groundhog Day".

The leaders are almost totally blind........none have any idea what to do...none are brave enough to support radical, life saving initiatives.......the reality is that much of Thailand has an administration of lemmings....all of whom are socially and educationally inept to address any type of serious problem...!

One would think that if the matter is on railway per way land, that is the white line on the roadway at stop signs , controlled lights or boom gates , it would be the domain of the state railways dept and signage leading up to the crossing would be the domain of the dept of roads , the only reason the health department should be involved is when there is an accident , this is as silly as the Railway department building a hospital..............................................coffee1.gif .

BANGKOK, 05 April 2020 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has instructed all provinces to improve public safety at railway intersections, in a bid to reduce related accidents.

Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn revealed that the ministry is collaborating with several related agencies to prevent road accidents, following a recent incident where a train carrying propane gas collided with a truck carrying radio active waste material in Nakhon Pathom province.

There are so many questions, I have...

Like:

1- why is the HEALTH ministry responsible for security at railway intersections?

2- Where does this 21% number come from?

3- Will this ever be achieved?

And then I have a second to think and come up with the answers:

1- because they threw darts and the health ministry it was!

2- from the anus of some minister!

3- hell no, are you kidding me?!

Whatever happened to the 310(?) million to make the railway crossings safe last year? lol

Priorities Thailand, you got none.

Yes ....you're correct...... it was that value.....even some of us Farangs forget about the projects that are announced so regularly......

I guess this money has been frittered away as it usually is, and of course, no audits ever done...!

Using your eyes might help.

A new subject to be taught at school.........................basic common sense.........................it seems to be totally lacking here , I could go on but why bother, I will just look after me as best I can.

Using your eyes might help.

In the last topic about this, a number of people were essentially saying along the lines of "You know, I not as much of a dumbass as that, but there are some crossing that are virtually invisible until you are right on top of them", which I actually am not that disbelieving toward to take a fair share of said comments at face value.

Can't really speak about it much myself as I don't travel/get around such areas all that often and considering what I do know about this country so far but I have no problems whatsoever to assume there being essential problems like the proper warning signals missing, no automated barriers coming down, the trains not having a headlight or as I know it from the US, a mandatory megahorn in the middle of the goddamn night getting close to a crossing (yet the daytime trains you barely couldn't hear being right next to them, <deleted>). And last but not least....piss poor lightning overall, this is one that is new to me since coming to thailand, driving at night here is a nightmare for me because of that.

I drive daily along a 15km stretch of railway track. Along the track, there are around 12 crossings, half of which have a barrier/lights. In three years, I know of two fatal accidents along the stretch.

One involved a drunk man on a motorcycle who decided to chance it across the track at an intersection where the barrier was down, lights flashing. His own fault.

The other was torrential rain, a group of labourers in the back of a truck heading home at dusk, no lights at the intersection, no barrier. With the noise of the rain, it would be hard to hear the horn of the train. With the heavy downpour, it would have been hard to differentiate the lights of the train from the cars on the road adjacent. The truck drove onto the tracks infront of the train, 7 dead. Next day, women and children grouped at the site of the accident, family of the dead, putting up warning signs to say there was a crossing there. For some reason the news reports stated there were lights and signs, there were no, and there still are no, lights. Over a year later, those signs are still the only change. Any money from the government has not made it to where it is needed.

They plan to install signs which say, "Your Chances of Getting Hit by a Train are High So Beware."

"Your Chances of Getting Hit by a Train are High So Drive on Regardless, Because if You Die it was Meant to be, and You'll Probably Come Back in Three Days as Something Better Anyhow"

--

Over the past few weeks, we've had:

• The Ministry or Culture unveiling a road safety campaign, training 600 public transport drivers
  • The Ministry of Interior directing the education strategy among Thailand's schools
  • The Ministry of Science and Technology announcing a major tax initiative

And now, the Ministry of Public Health giving instructions on how to reduce accidents at level crossings...

No wonder this country keeps lurching from one calamity to the next - not one person has any clue as to what their portfolio consists of!

They plan to install signs which say, "Your Chances of Getting Hit by a Train are High So Beware."

"Your Chances of Getting Hit by a Train are High So Drive on Regardless, Because if You Die it was Meant to be, and You'll Probably Come Back in Three Days as Something Better Anyhow"

--

Over the past few weeks, we've had:

• The Ministry or Culture unveiling a road safety campaign, training 600 public transport drivers
  • The Ministry of Interior directing the education strategy among Thailand's schools
  • The Ministry of Science and Technology announcing a major tax initiative

And now, the Ministry of Public Health giving instructions on how to reduce accidents at level crossings...

No wonder this country keeps lurching from one calamity to the next - not one person has any clue as to what their portfolio consists of!

91OdlblbBnL._SL1500_.jpg

I used to live in a polder, where "polder blindness" is a well known phenomena.

You have to look 4 to 5 times left and right before xing. A sign means little.

Would be nice for the TRANSPORT minister to check this out and educate the people.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in a polder, where "polder blindness" is a well known phenomena.

You have to look 4 to 5 times left and right before xing. A sign means little.

Would be nice for the TRANSPORT minister to check this out and educate the people.

So you used to live in a place surrounded by dykes. Hmmm. Interesting, are you Dutch?

Sorry, but what am I missing? Health Ministry? What the (I'll self censor) are the Transport Department doing?

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

hey its not "healthy" for a train to hit you

Sorry, but what am I missing? Health Ministry? What the (I'll self censor) are the Transport Department doing?

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

... Transport goofs were ineffective so PM gave the job to Health ministry. Double goofs now.