Phuket: Migrant workers jump ship, tangle fishing vessels in red tape

webfact

Migrant workers jump ship, tangle fishing vessels in red tape
Phuket Gazette

pkt2.jpeg
Phuket Employment Office Chief Pitool Dumsakorn suggested that a streamlined process for registering non-Thai fishermen with new employers needed to be put in place. Photo: Kongleahy Keam

PHUKET: -- Migrant labors jumping ship for better paying jobs on other fishing vessels is causing a logistical tangle at the Port in – Port out Control Center (PIPO), which is stopping many boats from departing.

“Many boats have not been allowed to leave because the number of crew members on the boat does not match with the PIPO database,” explained Kanong Duangkaew of the Phuket Marine Office. “All the names of the crew members are registered to the boat. If there are more or less crew, we cannot issue them a permit to leave the port.”

The source of the issue is a high demand for non-Thai fishermen on the boats, who are in short supply, said Phuket Employment Office Chief Pitool Dumsakorn.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Migrant-workers-jump-ship-tangle-fishing-vessels/63612?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-06

I think the absence of the foreign labor may be due to past treatment of those who were in many cases trafficed

for the benifet of the Thai owned fishing boats. Did you expect them to come back begging to be put back on the payroll? After all they were caged, thrown overboard, starved, not paid, plus many other acts that were wose than the soi dogs are treated

Self inflicted problem, that the owners of the boats need to confess up to. and then put their own people out to recruit labor needed legally , pay them , treat them the way you treat Thai help and you might solve this '' Big chiefs huge problem'' Some people can not figure how to pour warter out of a boot with instructions printed on the heel. But they can seem to find their way to getting a good civil servent position and then complain that they need things changed that are not the problem nor its cause, but a result of action by others.

I think the absence of the foreign labor may be due to past treatment of those who were in many cases trafficed

for the benifet of the Thai owned fishing boats.

I really hope this is the case as it would mean that they are finally making some progress in stopping slavery and trafficking people.

for the benifet of the Thai owned fishing boats.

I really hope this is the case as it would mean that they are finally making some progress in stopping slavery and trafficking people.

I am truely sorry to say .... dream on ... not going to stop

for the benifet of the Thai owned fishing boats. Did you expect them to come back begging to be put back on the payroll? After all they were caged, thrown overboard, starved, not paid, plus many other acts that were wose than the soi dogs are treated

Self inflicted problem, that the owners of the boats need to confess up to. and then put their own people out to recruit labor needed legally , pay them , treat them the way you treat Thai help and you might solve this '' Big chiefs huge problem'' Some people can not figure how to pour warter out of a boot with instructions printed on the heel. But they can seem to find their way to getting a good civil servent position and then complain that they need things changed that are not the problem nor its cause, but a result of action by others.

With foreign investment now pouring into Burma and Cambodia, and as you say, the poor treatment of foreign workers in Thailand, I think there will be a labor shortage here in the future, particularly in the construction industry.