Took a drive to Ban Chang beach, what an eyesore!

giddyup

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif 100% right. We could talk endlessly about this. I can only make small contributions. No plastic bags or extra packaging used. Turning of bike when on red. Picking up trash and trying to educate the ignorants, which feels like pushing sh.t up a hill :-) etc.

Ref. your remarks about the Gulf....On a recent cruise to the Bangpakong river near BKK, we had to literally detour 5 or 6 miles around a HUGE island of garbage, floating in the sea. Incredible sight, that showed on radar even.

I witnessed the destruction of Samui, Samet and numerous other beautiful places here and often ask myself, <deleted> am I still doing here? Why would people even come to vacation here anymore. But then again, they probably have not known the real beauty of Thailand 25 years ago. Sad..Guess when we get older we start reflecting more on such subjects...Good night. MS>

The beaches on the gulf side are in pretty bad shape with regards to trash. A lot is washed out via the rivers and because it's a bay, it floats around forever. Go a few miles off shore and it's crazy what you see in the water. Terrible.

The sea side is much better as a lot gets swept out to the open ocean.

I'm a beach nut and have been to a majority of them between the Cambodian border and Nakhon Si Thamarat, and between Ranong and Koh Lanta. The closer you are to the Chao Praya river, the worse they are.

• Like 1

The beaches on the gulf side are in pretty bad shape with regards to trash. A lot is washed out via the rivers and because it's a bay, it floats around forever. Go a few miles off shore and it's crazy what you see in the water. Terrible.

I'm a beach nut and have been to a majority of them between the Cambodian border and Nakhon Si Thamarat, and between Ranong and Koh Lanta. The closer you are to the Chao Praya river, the worse they are.

I doubt if it's going to get any better, at least in my lifetime. The world is starting to drown in garbage, I shudder to think what the oceans will be like in 50 years from now.

• Like 1

50 or so years ago most household waste was either recyclable or biodegradable. Thai houses were surrounded by a pile of crap that had just been tossed away. When this was organic material that did not really matter, though unpleasant. However as Thais started using plastic, plastic bags and supermarkets they just went on throwing stuff out of the window; so you ended up with mounds of non biodegradable crap. What passes for garbage collection occasionally collected this and threw it into rivers/sea. Such imaginative people. Don't start on China!

When I lived in the Pattaya area I stopped going to most beaches for a swim due to the volume of rubbish, but went occasionally to enjoy the breeze etc. What always astonished me was the nearly ubiquitous lack of effort by the beach vendors to clear up the mess. Some beaches had upcountry Thais visiting by the bus load, the beaches were literally covered in rubbish after they departed, not deposited by the tide.

I departed Thailand a few years ago, still have a house in Pattaya. I use to go to Koh Samet for beach & swimming, don't know if the island still has clean beaches. If you're interested Sri Lanka and Vietnam have great beaches, thankfully some of the locations did not permit dogs to wander though the beach side restaurants / bars which was a big downside for me in Thailand.

Edited by simple1

When I lived in the Pattaya area I stopped going to most beaches for a swim due to the volume of rubbish, but went occasionally to enjoy the breeze etc. What always astonished me was the nearly ubiquitous lack of effort by the beach vendors to clear up the mess. Some beaches had upcountry Thais visiting by the bus load, the beaches were literally covered in rubbish after they departed, not deposited by the tide.

I departed Thailand a few years ago, still have a house in Pattaya. I use to go to Koh Samet for beach & swimming, don't know if the island still has clean beaches. If you're interested Sri Lanka and Vietnam have great beaches, thankfully some of the locations did not permit dogs to wander though the beach side restaurants / bars which was a big downside for me in Thailand.

That was another downside to Ban Chang beach, the soi dogs, they all hang around looking for food scraps. Quite honestly, I have never been to an uglier beach in my life, it will be my one and only trip there..

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Somewhat illustrative of most Thais' careless attitude about garbage. One day on the Bangkok Saen Saep klong taxi, I watched a woman on her canal-side "veranda" holding a plastic bag and food clamshell and then just tossing it into the water. She caught my long, hard stare. No doubt that floated to a Thai beach.

Now, there are also many Thais who do the right thing and pitch garbage into the containers. But it all falls apart when the garbage collection companies "dispose" of the refuse any way they can right under the noses of authorities. They just don't get it. Oh, and we won't talk about those who openly burn volatile refuse in their backyards and on sidewalks . . .

• Like 1

Somewhat illustrative of most Thais' careless attitude about garbage. One day on the Bangkok Saen Saep klong taxi, I watched a woman on her canal-side "veranda" holding a plastic bag and food clamshell and then just tossing it into the water. She caught my long, hard stare. No doubt that floated to a Thai beach.

Now, there are also many Thais who do the right thing and pitch garbage into the containers. But it all falls apart when the garbage collection companies "dispose" of the refuse any way they can right under the noses of authorities. They just don't get it. Oh, and we won't talk about those who openly burn volatile refuse in their backyards and on sidewalks . . .

I was in Bangkok a few weeks ago and got up early for a walk. Near Suk Soi 38/9. Walked along the canal and it was absolutely disgusting. Smelled and trash everywhere. I walked down the main road and saw a young Thai guy buy some food. The vendor put it in a plastic bag and not more than 10 meters away the young guy threw the plastic bag into a phone booth as he started to eat. Why take the bag in the first place!!!!

• Like 2

..I saw a whale once in amongst all the plastic flotsam..sad.png

Never been to Ban Chang, so took a drive down there yesterday. I have never seen a more disgusting beach in my life, it was covered in all kinds of rubbish, bottles, tins plastic bags, you name it. I asked my partner if people had just left their rubbish behind, but she seemed to think it had all washed ashore. Either way, it's not a place I'd want to go again, downright depressing.

Completely agree,and while most floats in,I've also seen Thais on these beaches just throw their rubbish down without any thought. There is just one clean stretch toward the airport end,where a Thai restaurant cleans up the beach In front of their place every day,consequently he always has plenty of customers,mostly farangs.Question is, why don't other restaurant owners do the same. Again why does't the Orbator pay people to do this simple job, could it be that the funds are diverted elsewhere?

Edited by nontabury

Right now they are spending in excess of 100 million baht in beautification projects on the 3 Ban Chang beaches.

But it is the same every February, March and April with the garbage washing up on the shore, most people believe it is coming down the river from Bangkok and the tides swing it round that way.

• Like 1

If you're interested Sri Lanka and Vietnam have great beaches, thankfully some of the locations did not permit dogs to wander though the beach side restaurants / bars which was a big downside for me in Thailand.

While it's difficult to think about and accept, the dogs aren't wandering around because they are in fact served as food in those countries.

Ban Chang is known for it's bars, friendlier girls, lower prices, etc.. No one goes there for the beach.

• Like 1

If you're interested Sri Lanka and Vietnam have great beaches, thankfully some of the locations did not permit dogs to wander though the beach side restaurants / bars which was a big downside for me in Thailand.

While it's difficult to think about and accept, the dogs aren't wandering around because they are in fact served as food in those countries.

Ban Chang is known for it's bars, friendlier girls, lower prices, etc.. No one goes there for the beach.

Speak for yourself mate. To the OP just come back at little bit towards Pattaya to the Beaches at Banrung (spelling) turn off at the Utapeo turn off and follow the signs. Very clean and cars charged 20 Baht on slip road to provide cleaning services etc. (Dont go Saturday/Sunday as heaving !!) fine during weekdays

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 2

Sri Lanka has an overpopulation of dogs, never heard of or read of the dogs being used as food. In Vietnam I saw a number of dogs kept as pets at places I went to, not freely roaming around everywhere as in Thailand which personally I utterly dislike.

Plenty of beaches in Bang Chang, though not to my liking.

So that's a reason to have a filthy, garbage strewn beach is it, because it has friendly girls (only if they're paid) and low prices?

• Like 2

So that's a reason to have a filthy, garbage strewn beach is it, because it has friendly girls (only if they're paid) and low prices?

Ban Chang beach is OK. As good/better than any others around here. We use to go and eat on the beach quite often. Very nice. Weekends are packed with locals.

I think this garbage comes and goes. We've been many times and never had that problem. But I've read about reports where trash was present...and for sure have seen it on other beaches in the area. Sometimes not so bad, sometimes quite bad!