Graphic Designer In BKK

I have been living here in LOS and in and around SE Asia for 6 years now. I have a vast experience with graphic design and a great portfolio to boot. By question is how easy would it be to find a job in NKK as foreigner, and any advice on doing so?

NKK? You mean BKK?

If so, then I can say BKK is filled with graphic design studios. I know that because my wife is a graphic designer.

But I don't know if it's easy to apply for a job at these studios as a foreigner or not. I've never seen any foreigner working as a graphic designer in Thailand, but I can imagine some wealthier corporations working with TV, big commertial companies, magazines, tourist hotels, international companies and other large companies may be looking for foreign help in marketing and graphic design if you're skilled enough.

If they want you, then they will help you with your work permit. I don't think it's any restriction in the multimedia sector, as I know foreigners work as actors, news paper editors, journalists and television cameramen in Thailand.

NKK? You mean BKK?

If so, then I can say BKK is filled with graphic design studios. I know that because my wife is a graphic designer.

But I don't know if it's easy to apply for a job at these studios as a foreigner or not. I've never seen any foreigner working as a graphic designer in Thailand, but I can imagine some wealthier corporations working with TV, big commertial companies, magazines, tourist hotels, international companies and other large companies may be looking for foreign help in marketing and graphic design if you're skilled enough.

If they want you, then they will help you with your work permit. I don't think it's any restriction in the multimedia sector, as I know foreigners work as actors, news paper editors, journalists and television cameramen in Thailand.

Thanks for the response. In my town here in HH there is a Western based design studio so they do exist, and yes I did mean BKK lol. The only issue for me is that I cannot stand Bangkok, it irritates me, makes me ill every time I go there for some reason, and I am just not the huge city type. BUT, work is work right?

Work is work, I agree. I also hate Bangkok, but Bangkok usually is where the money is if you're very qualified.

I think I first would have tried in areas in BKK close to hotels and tourist streets so the daily travelling would not become so tiring. Got myself a nice suit (as Thais especially takes notice of how well you represent yourself), taken with me my portfolio and proof of work I've done for respectable companies, corporations or studios (if you have) and visit some of the top places I mentioned in my first post and just asked if they're hiring. I really have 0 clue on how this stuff works here in Thailand, but the worst case scenario is just losing some time. If it doesn't work, try send emails around. I've seen on websites of many Thai companies there are "work ads".

Good luck mate.

Probably not easy. But possible. There are graphic design companies that employ foreigners. The majority of their staff though are obviously Thai. So you'd need your value proposition as to what you have they don't. e.g. managerial level running a departments, particular perspective/expertise on international clients in a sector etc.

You'll also have more chance if they are at least part foreign owned with foreigners working there already, eg Quo, Asia Media Studio, Creative Media/Partnership (can't remember exact name)

Cheers

Fletch :)

Work is work, I agree. I also hate Bangkok, but Bangkok usually is where the money is if you're very qualified.

I think I first would have tried in areas in BKK close to hotels and tourist streets so the daily travelling would not become so tiring. Got myself a nice suit (as Thais especially takes notice of how well you represent yourself), taken with me my portfolio and proof of work I've done for respectable companies, corporations or studios (if you have) and visit some of the top places I mentioned in my first post and just asked if they're hiring. I really have 0 clue on how this stuff works here in Thailand, but the worst case scenario is just losing some time. If it doesn't work, try send emails around. I've seen on websites of many Thai companies there are "work ads".

Good luck mate.

Probably not easy. But possible. There are graphic design companies that employ foreigners. The majority of their staff though are obviously Thai. So you'd need your value proposition as to what you have they don't. e.g. managerial level running a departments, particular perspective/expertise on international clients in a sector etc.

You'll also have more chance if they are at least part foreign owned with foreigners working there already, eg Quo, Asia Media Studio, Creative Media/Partnership (can't remember exact name)

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Thanks for the response. After just returning from a trip to BKK, then to Vientiane, back to BKK and then back to Hua Hin, I am reminded how much I despise Bangkok. So on that note I really do not think for me personally the pros outweigh the cons for living there and finding a design studio that will hire.

On a side note, the first class sleeper trains from BKK to Nong Khai are a fantastic service and make the journey so much more bearable.