Harbor Mall. Now that it's open...

NanLaew

Went there last night for the first time at 8pm. Very quiet. Most of the food places were empty. Tried the Korean restaurant and was not impressed. I do like that they have different food options than you see at central or other place, but so far not impressed. I hope it is successful, but didn't get that impression last night.

Also noticed that there is a huge action hero statue near the entrance to Starbucks that kids can climb up on to to take photos. Its like 4 meters off the ground and the steps (really just big blocks) up to it have no railing at all. Even worse, the ceiling is low there so an adult or tall kid would hit their head on the way up or down. They put up several signs saying that adults are responsible for their children. Amazing the things that you see here.

I agree that Transformer guy is a disaster waiting to happen...however, at least there is usually a guard there and they only allow one kid to climb up at a time. (Many people complain about too many lawyers and people being to quick to sue for injuries in some Western countries, but this is what you get when negligence laws are non-existent or underdeveloped.)

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this hasn't already been discussed....I'd like to hear how this place compares with Tukcom in terms of stuff for computers and other gadgets. Seems from some of the pics quite a few IT type shops are there???

Computers, phones, and other IT gear is pretty well represented by the variety of shops at Harbor. Of course, it your looking for more obscure accessories and IT/phone repairs, Tuk Com wins on that score. Tuk Com would also come out on top for gaming accessories (joysticks, steering wheels, etc.).

Went there last night for the first time at 8pm. Very quiet. Most of the food places were empty. Tried the Korean restaurant and was not impressed. I do like that they have different food options than you see at central or other place, but so far not impressed. I hope it is successful, but didn't get that impression last night.

Also noticed that there is a huge action hero statue near the entrance to Starbucks that kids can climb up on to to take photos. Its like 4 meters off the ground and the steps (really just big blocks) up to it have no railing at all. Even worse, the ceiling is low there so an adult or tall kid would hit their head on the way up or down. They put up several signs saying that adults are responsible for their children. Amazing the things that you see here.

I can't walk anywhere without risk of hitting my head:

- Inside the malls signs hit my head

- On the escalators the beams hit my head

- On the sky bridges the beams hit my head

- At night markets the ropes/cables are nice and black and placed at neck height to help decapitate me

Granted I'm 6'3", but still, never had this problem in Europe :P Maybe it's a trick to ensure that if a basketball team visits, Thailand will win :P

I hope this hasn't already been discussed....I'd like to hear how this place compares with Tukcom in terms of stuff for computers and other gadgets. Seems from some of the pics quite a few IT type shops are there???

Computers, phones, and other IT gear is pretty well represented by the variety of shops at Harbor. Of course, it your looking for more obscure accessories and IT/phone repairs, Tuk Com wins on that score. Tuk Com would also come out on top for gaming accessories (joysticks, steering wheels, etc.).

Is Tuk Com and Harbor likely to co-exist? Is there still a need for Tuk Com (building) if the shops have moved over? Or will there just be duplication? (Which I'm cool with)

Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai is a much better location I would have thought. Normally you don't open a new shop to cannibalize the sales from your existing one. I think they are aiming for shoppers who go to the tech shops at Central.

- At night markets the ropes/cables are nice and black and placed at neck height to help decapitate me

Granted I'm 6'3", but still, never had this problem in Europe tongue.png Maybe it's a trick to ensure that if a basketball team visits, Thailand will win tongue.png

What a difference 3 inches makes. At 6' I never bash my head on anything, but maybe it's just because I'm more careful.

Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai is a much better location I would have thought. Normally you don't open a new shop to cannibalize the sales from your existing one. I think they are aiming for shoppers who go to the tech shops at Central.

Harbor and Tuk Com are completely different animals...and I'm sure for many, including me, Harbor is a far superior location than the congested lower end of South Pattaya Road. TC is primarily an IT center, with a few restos and a mish-mash of shops on the ground floor and a small supermarket in the basement. It's also geared more towards adults, with all the ladyboys loitering around and the older farang gentlemen with their boy-toys in tow.

Harbor is very much a family oriented mall, with many learning and fun centers for kids. IT is present but it's not the mall's raison d'être. There are also a myriad of food and dessert outlets, along with a food sized supermarket. There are also some car models on display on the basement level. I don't think it's been mentioned yet but there is a branch of Siam Commercial Bank and soon one for Krung Thai Bank.

Granted I'm 6'3", but still, never had this problem in Europe tongue.png Maybe it's a trick to ensure that if a basketball team visits, Thailand will win tongue.png

What a difference 3 inches makes. At 6' I never bash my head on anything, but maybe it's just because I'm more careful.

Yup, at 6' you'd be short enough to not hit your head on most of the things that I risk mine on. I've never hit, but do have to duck :)

Depends on where you live. If outside Pattaya, Harbor Mall is a much better location. Well...after they finish that underpass anyway! LOL

Is Tuk Com and Harbor likely to co-exist?

Yup. That's what they're doing. Why not?

Is there still a need for Tuk Com (building) if the shops have moved over? Or will there just be duplication? (Which I'm cool with)

Some TukCom shops have opened new branches at Harbor. It's really no different than KFC having an outlet at Royal Garden and another at Lotus on Pattaya Nua. But Harbor has some shops new to Pattaya as well. And we can just never have enough mobile phone shops. smile.png

Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai is a much better location I would have thought. Normally you don't open a new shop to cannibalize the sales from your existing one.

As craigt3365 points out, convenience depends on where you live--or where you happen to be. Did KFC at Lotus North cannibalize sales from the branch at Royal Garden?

It's best to get over the notion that Pattaya has and will always have only the small number of local buyers it had in 1990. That quaint notion, or wish, led to predictions of bankruptcy for Central and Big C Extra. The construction of 3rd Rd. was similarly decried as "not needed." After all, we already had 2nd Rd. smile.png

I think they are aiming for shoppers who go to the tech shops at Central.

No. They're (cough) aiming for shoppers who go to the tech shops at Harbor.

Based on extensive testing ? I would say the Starbucks, Coffee Club, and ABP branches at Harbor are the nicest in Pattaya. The ABP isnespecially spacious and comfortable and they both provide The Nation and Bangkok Post for reading. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the ABP at Index closes as it's very close and not particularly comfortable (small and often hot, especially in the morning).

Normally you don't open a new shop to cannibalize the sales from your existing one.

They do it everyday in Pattaya. 7Elevens/Family Marts/Tesco Express etc on every corner and everywhere in between. It's one of the wonders of Pattaya.

Just left Tukcom. I'm amazed at how many shops are gone. Many!!! Especially on the upper floors.

Place has been going down the tubes for years...computers and software and DVDs and CDs are not a big part of most peoples' lives anymore with the advent of mobile phones\tablets and downloads\streaming. The Coffee Club on the ground floor is a nice recent addition.

My impression was that they would close Tukcom S-Pattaya , at least the upper floors and relocate to Harbor mall .

I have seen familiar faces now at Harbor mall , working for the same companies.

My impression was that they would close Tukcom S-Pattaya , at least the upper floors and relocate to Harbor mall .

I really hope you're wrong about that. They're nearly 5 km apart at the opposite ends of town. They can both survive. The shops closing at Tukcom is more to do with changing trends of the computer industry rather than lack of customers.

Edited by tropo

I really hope you're wrong about that. They're nearly 5 km apart at the opposite ends of town. They can both survive. The shops closing at Tukcom is more to do with changing trends of the computer industry rather than lack of customers.

I noticed the upper floors on TukCom (old) emptying a year+ ago. Less demand for DVDs I presume (especially with streaming available and at a lower cost than what they were charging for DVDs). Same I suppose for video games / PCs (everyone can find alternatives online to get those). So I was not surprised to see them go.

That being said, not sure in Pattaya is a need for too many floors of concentrated mobile phone kiosks. Combined with my standard question: Why buy from those little Kiosks? They charge as much (or more) than buying from one of the major IT Stores.

I noticed the upper floors on TukCom (old) emptying a year+ ago. Less demand for DVDs I presume (especially with streaming available and at a lower cost than what they were charging for DVDs). Same I suppose for video games / PCs (everyone can find alternatives online to get those). So I was not surprised to see them go.

That being said, not sure in Pattaya is a need for too many floors of concentrated mobile phone kiosks. Combined with my standard question: Why buy from those little Kiosks? They charge as much (or more) than buying from one of the major IT Stores.

That, plus many are fakes. Hard to tell if you are getting the real phone, with ALL original parts. I'll get mine direct from Lazada any day...plus, I hate Tukcom. It's a mess.

That, plus many are fakes. Hard to tell if you are getting the real phone, with ALL original parts. I'll get mine direct from Lazada any day...plus, I hate Tukcom. It's a mess.

I've bought my last two phones direct from the manufacturer's stores...really only two to choose from these days and times sure to get original and followup support and warranty.

Those mobile phone kiosks are popular with those looking for "bargains" on used phones or a 3000 baht "iPhone." ?

Is Tuk Com and Harbor likely to co-exist?

Yup. That's what they're doing. Why not?

Is there still a need for Tuk Com (building) if the shops have moved over? Or will there just be duplication? (Which I'm cool with)

Some TukCom shops have opened new branches at Harbor. It's really no different than KFC having an outlet at Royal Garden and another at Lotus on Pattaya Nua. But Harbor has some shops new to Pattaya as well. And we can just never have enough mobile phone shops. smile.png

Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai is a much better location I would have thought. Normally you don't open a new shop to cannibalize the sales from your existing one.

As craigt3365 points out, convenience depends on where you live--or where you happen to be. Did KFC at Lotus North cannibalize sales from the branch at Royal Garden?

It's best to get over the notion that Pattaya has and will always have only the small number of local buyers it had in 1990. That quaint notion, or wish, led to predictions of bankruptcy for Central and Big C Extra. The construction of 3rd Rd. was similarly decried as "not needed." After all, we already had 2nd Rd. smile.png

I think they are aiming for shoppers who go to the tech shops at Central.

No. They're (cough) aiming for shoppers who go to the tech shops at Harbor.

Yes you are correct, all those Bangkok Thais coming down at weekends just to shop in Tukom at Harbour Mall. (cough)

Yes you are correct, all those Bangkok Thais coming down at weekends just to shop in Tukom at Harbour Mall. (cough)

Well, it's really, really complicated. Thais and farangs from wherever--from the greater Pattaya area and surrounding towns, Bangkok etc., foreign countries--will be in Harbor for one reason or another. (But not all at once--lemme be clear for you on that.) That reason, or reasons, may or may not be primarily to buy IT-related products. While they're there, however, Harbor Tukcom offers them the opportunity to buy such. I predict that enough consumers will buy so that the Harbor Mall Tukcom stays in business. That doesn't mean that particular shops can't come and go without implying the entire mall is bankrupt.

Another difficult concept is that all Bangkok Thais don't have to go to only one place in Pattaya or buy from only one place. Just as OMGImInPattaya taught you that "Harbor and Tuk Com are completely different animals," you'll need somehow to discover that Central and Harbor Tukcom are completely different animals as well. The only IT shops directly comparable among the two belong to Banana IT, and Bangkok Thais (your obsession) aren't going to Central for the sake of Banana IT anyway. Nothing much to cannibalize there, pal--if such were even going on. biggrin.png BTW, you haven't yet discussed that worrisome "cannibalization" of Royal Garden KFC by the Lotus North KFC under the "only one" principle.

Well, it's really, really complicated. Thais and farangs from wherever--from the greater Pattaya area and surrounding towns, Bangkok etc., foreign countries--will be in Harbor for one reason or another. (But not all at once--lemme be clear for you on that.) That reason, or reasons, may or may not be primarily to buy IT-related products. While they're there, however, Harbor Tukcom offers them the opportunity to buy such. I predict that enough consumers will buy so that the Harbor Mall Tukcom stays in business. That doesn't mean that particular shops can't come and go without implying the entire mall is bankrupt.

Another difficult concept is that all Bangkok Thais don't have to go to only one place in Pattaya or buy from only one place. Just as OMGImInPattaya taught you that "Harbor and Tuk Com are completely different animals," you'll need somehow to discover that Central and Harbor Tukcom are completely different animals as well. The only IT shops directly comparable among the two belong to Banana IT, and Bangkok Thais (your obsession) aren't going to Central for the sake of Banana IT anyway. Nothing much to cannibalize there, pal--if such were even going on. biggrin.png BTW, you haven't yet discussed that worrisome "cannibalization" of Royal Garden KFC by the Lotus North KFC under the "only one" principle.

Well it's obvious to most people, pal, that Central has basically ruined Royal Garden Plaza, although maybe not you, as you seem to believe that by having more shops automatically creates more demand.

The MAIN reason for the empty shops at Tukcom is the

landlord got greedy and jacked the rents way up a few

years ago...

If rents were lower Tukcom would be full same as before..

Well it's obvious to most people, pal, that Central has basically ruined Royal Garden Plaza, although maybe not you, as you seem to believe that by having more shops automatically creates more demand.

No way. Royal Garden Plaza improved muchly as they were forced to renovate after Central opened. biggrin.png

years ago...

I disagree. It's the changing face of the computer industry. People are far less likely to purchase PC's, laptops, CD/DVDs and all the associated hardware these days. It's a bit sad as I'm still a dedicated PC/Laptop guy.

Edited by tropo

years ago...

I disagree. It's the changing face of the computer industry. People are far less likely to purchase PC's, laptops, CD/DVDs and all the associated hardware these days. It's a bit sad as I'm still a dedicated PC/Laptop guy.

I still find the hardware, laptop, PC stores fully stocked. Just the ones that sold CD/DVDs less so. Perhaps because of the shift to digital/subscription services rather than physical media.

But no shortage of stores to sell you the gaming laptop or PC :)