why do sad humorous frangs live in a los

opalred

have you noticed if you go out to eat

frangs group together and always sit false smile talk about nothing maybe about there wine

and how bad the thais behave

the thais laughter and having a good time even singing and enjoy themselfs no pretend

cm is bad for snobery and thinking they are above locals seen now for 14yrs

if you come to live in land of smiles leave baggage behind in own country

you even see it on tvf put some humor in a topic they bite

not allowad to laugh how boring why live here

Life is what one makes it, pal. Some, as you say, bring their baggage with them: others open themselves up to new experiences and enjoy life. The sad ones would be sad anywhere, so it is best just to let them get on with their own woes and enjoy your own life: there is nothing that you can do to help them.

I have not noticed the trait described by the op. I notice more the smiles, laughter at fellow companions, teasing the help, etc. In other words people carrying on enjoying themselves and the company they are with. A butt- in- ski may be ignored or if bitching, asked to leave. Guess I must associate with a better class of people (happier), or maybe visit better atmosphere eating establishments than the op.

Someone who has net been to our local on a Saturday and Sunday always laughing at our table most locals tell us to be quiet as to much laughter and some of the locals can't keep up with the translation of the humour and get a bit sulky if they can't join in most pubs in Thailand are good for a laugh just chhill out a little

Why do people come on here taking a dig at other expats?

If there's one thing I notice about TV, it's the near-universal negativity towards other farangs.

I could imagine that if I stayed around here for a long time, it could quickly wear thin

SC

Don't worry yourself about how other people live their lives, unless they directly/actively/positively impinge on the way you live your life...............is something I've learned from Thai people.

You've been in Thailand for 14 years and you haven't learned to do that?

Sounds like you've kept a tight hold on your "baggage".

Why do people come on here taking a dig at other expats?

If there's one thing I notice about TV, it's the near-universal negativity towards other farangs.

I could imagine that if I stayed around here for a long time, it could quickly wear thin

SC

See!, now there you go. Why can the OP not bring up this issue. Are you the judge? Yeah, democracy is a word mostly used in the wrong sence. Actually there ain't any democracy where ever you go.

Matter of fact is that many farang replies are repulsive. What is frang? Is the OP not talking/typing the way you do? If I read opalred's text, my tooth curl and I have to reread. No complaints.

Edited to add. My English sucks too.

Edited by hugocnx

I have not noticed the trait described by the op. I notice more the smiles, laughter at fellow companions, teasing the help, etc. In other words people carrying on enjoying themselves and the company they are with. A butt- in- ski may be ignored or if bitching, asked to leave. Guess I must associate with a better class of people (happier), or maybe visit better atmosphere eating establishments than the op.

We have a group of lads meet up on a Friday, and, to be honest, it is as good as any Friday night was back home.

Despite the fact that we are all from different places, various ages and different situations here in Thailand, we have a great night. The one thing in common is we all have a good sense of humour, having said that, it is no coincidence that the majority of us are English.

Lived Thailand for a few years now and I would say the majority of other farang that I meet are very happy here. It when I go back overseas I see how unfriendly western people really are.

We have a group of lads meet up on a Friday, and, to be honest, it is as good as any Friday night was back home.

Despite the fact that we are all from different places, various ages and different situations here in Thailand, we have a great night. The one thing in common is we all have a good sense of humour, having said that, it is no coincidence that the majority of us are English.[/]

Guess you NEED sense of humor to be English huh?

I think different nationalities have different things that can be defined as "humor"....Comrades from the same country are going to have a lot in common & have a good time no matter what the topic because they meld better.....Regardless of how much time/tenure spent here.....

Some nationalities are fairly humorless - others somewhere in between.....So they are not going to match well among others of "mixed personalities" (or - mixed Up personalities?) without time to adjust to one another....

If humor isn't shared the next easiest thing to share & understand is misery - ergo - misery loves company....

Kinda like on here....

The OP seems obsessed about 'frangs' (whatever they may be) and what they get up to.....

Hasn't this topic been worked to death from every angle?? Can one be sad and humorous at the same time? Yes we are all old and fat with young Thai wives that love us? We drink beer enjoy the sunshine and sex and pound the computer keys on TV. We love to debate on here. The odd time we get lucky and get a young naive poster to have some fun with.

Happy, humorous Westerners (I still hate farang as a description), generally come to Thailand because they're sick and tired of working in jobs they don't much care for and, of course, life in their own countries where it costs a lot to have a decent life.

Most of us (I assume) prefer to give up working/increasing our wealth and chose to live comfortably in a country where we could afford to do that.

Funnily enough, I'm obviously not anywhere close to 'the life and soul of the party' - but my husband was, and it took a long time for him to agree that moving here would be a good idea laugh.png .

So perhaps its true that funny, life and soul of the party type people wouldn't normally think of moving to Thailand?

I believe it is customary for Thai ladies to sit together nattering...So what are us chaps supposed to do....?

I just grab a beer and find someone to annoy.

It's funny how everyone thinks all the other farangs came here for the same reason they did.

Be fair - I said 'generally' and 'I assume'.

There are many young Westerners that come here and take jobs as dive guides/instructors etc. - but most (note - not all!) tend to leave after a few years?

Its older Westerners who stay?

Another popular reason would be those whose spouse has deserted them and they come here for a holiday and find, much to their suprise, that they're suddenly 'hansum' and attractive.

It's funny how everyone thinks all the other farangs came here for the same reason they did.

There are many young Westerners that come here and take jobs as dive guides/instructors etc. - but most (note - not all!) tend to leave after a few years?

Another popular reason would be those whose spouse has deserted them and they come here for a holiday and find, much to their suprise, that they're suddenly 'hansum' and attractive.

I was one..........giggle.gif ........Ten years on and l ain't aged a bit........wub.png

biggrin.png How I envy you, I've aged about 30 years - but am still happier here than I would be working in the UK. smile.png

I was one..........giggle.gif ........Ten years on and l ain't aged a bit........wub.png

Glad to hear that the daily treatment with preservative is working well then, Trans!

Barkeeper! Another pint of embalming fluid, if you will! wink.png

Edited by Rob8891

How broad - (sad) and jaded a statement/outlook (pompacity & folly to the extreme - mirrors be damned)....! Me/myself/I versus TVF (because <I have to - to feel good about myself>) all else/everybody be damned...

(I'm important/speaking/trolling)..

And I'M the important one here....Even if embedded & teflon coated to up the thread count.....

....Torpedoes/topics be damned - full troll ahead......

Go SB Go....

Fun to watch.....

Edited by pgrahmm

It's a given that a transitional but otherwise 3rd world country with an arguably cheaper living cost...., will attract a certain amount cashed older people with a specific perspective..., no more that any other country else I'd wager.
I actually am starting to think..., it's curiouser and curiouser why so many sanctimonious, selfish hipsters choose to make a home in LOS......, eh what ?
wink.png

Edited by Sandy Freckle

I think in this context, 'hipster' means 'anyone under 50'.

Nooooo, that's a Hamster..........laugh.png

Hilarious Transam......you are a funny guy,SB must be a great target for you,he appears so pompous as PD Graham lampooned him earlier.