Russia leads diplomatic efforts in brokering agreement over Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

webfact

Russia leads diplomatic efforts in brokering agreement over Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

606x341_329382.jpg

MOSCOW: -- Russia is leading diplomatic efforts to broker a truce between Azerbaijan and Armenia.

Prime Minister Dimitri Medvedev was in the Armenian capital to urge the countries to end the fighting which erupted this week over the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region.

“This situation without any doubt is raising great concerns. We hope the ceasefire will hold, and we hope that the political process that required a lot of contribution will resume. It’s diplomats and not the military who should deal with the settlement,” explained Medvedev.

Russia, along with the US and France, has been mediating the peace talks since 1994, though little progress has been made.

“The status quo is not only unsustainable, it’s unacceptable. And soon there will be naive ideas that somebody has that they can keep it as it is forever or for a long period of time, than it will be more outbreakings of clashes and so on,“Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mamedyarov said at the meeting with his Russian counterpart.

Iran has joined efforts to find a peaceful resolution to the conflict which threatens to destabilise the strategic Caucasus region.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-08

I understand there is an important oil pipeline, or a system, that originates from oil-rich Baku, Azerbaijan on the Caspian Sea and terminates at or near Ceyhan, Turkey on the Mediterranean Sea. I am not sure if any part of it goes through the disputed territory or just nearby. Russia profits from another pipeline from Baku.

Maybe not the best source, but it's a good start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku%E2%80%93Tbilisi%E2%80%93Ceyhan_pipeline

I don't understand why more articles at least mention this fact. It would help the reader better understand the international perspective of an area that otherwise would appear remote and obscure, unless I am mistaken and this is more well-known than I had thought.

By the way, as historical background, Baku and its oil fields were an important part of Hitler's plans when invading Russia. It helps to explain why the article repeatedly refers to the "strategic Caucasus region."

Edited by helpisgood

These things have been discussed, but as you say, not as much as they should have:

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/is-the-fight-over-a-gas-pipeline-fuelling-the-worlds-bloodiest-conflict/news-story/74efcba9554c10bd35e280b63a9afb74

In fact 80 per cent of the gas that Russian state-controlled company Gazprom produces is sold to Europe, so maintaining this crucial market is very important.

But Europe doesn’t like being so reliant on Russia for fuel and has been trying to reduce its dependence. It’s a move that is supported by the United States as it would weaken Russian influence over Europe.

This has not gone down well with Russia, which uses its power over gas as political leverage and has a history of cutting off supply to countries during conflicts. It has even gone to war in Georgia and Ukraine to disrupt plans to export gas from other parts of the Middle East.

These things have been discussed, but as you say, not as much as they should have:

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/is-the-fight-over-a-gas-pipeline-fuelling-the-worlds-bloodiest-conflict/news-story/74efcba9554c10bd35e280b63a9afb74

In fact 80 per cent of the gas that Russian state-controlled company Gazprom produces is sold to Europe, so maintaining this crucial market is very important.

But Europe doesn’t like being so reliant on Russia for fuel and has been trying to reduce its dependence. It’s a move that is supported by the United States as it would weaken Russian influence over Europe.

This has not gone down well with Russia, which uses its power over gas as political leverage and has a history of cutting off supply to countries during conflicts. It has even gone to war in Georgia and Ukraine to disrupt plans to export gas from other parts of the Middle East.

Thanks, again!

I think some of those articles could at least make a quick reference to the oil situation. It all starts to make much more sense afterwards.

You really do stay on top of these issues affecting Russia. I appreciate the help!

I am going to read the article you have just linked. I love the subheading: "It's the gas, Stupid."

Thanks, again!

I think some of those articles could at least make a quick reference to the oil situation. It all starts to make much more sense afterwards.

You really do stay on top of these issues affecting Russia. I appreciate the help!

I am going to read the article you have just linked. I love the subheading: "It's the gas, Stupid."

Just want to say that your linked article was very interesting, and I now better understand the maneuvering in the Middle East.

I also checked out some of its links that were also interesting.

It's amazing how much light can be shown by the right maps.

Thanks again!

Edited by helpisgood

I understand there is an important oil pipeline, or a system, that originates from oil-rich Baku, Azerbaijan on the Caspian Sea and terminates at or near Ceyhan, Turkey on the Mediterranean Sea. I am not sure if any part of it goes through the disputed territory or just nearby. Russia profits from another pipeline from Baku.

Maybe not the best source, but it's a good start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku%E2%80%93Tbilisi%E2%80%93Ceyhan_pipeline

I don't understand why more articles at least mention this fact. It would help the reader better understand the international perspective of an area that otherwise would appear remote and obscure, unless I am mistaken and this is more well-known than I had thought.

By the way, as historical background, Baku and its oil fields were an important part of Hitler's plans when invading Russia. It helps to explain why the article repeatedly refers to the "strategic Caucasus region."

yep. this is one of the reasons for current Armenian aggression.

a new pipeline called TANAP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Anatolian_gas_pipeline) are being built by Turks and Azeris and Armenia of course by passed from this project and pipeline is going through - Azerbaican - Georgia - Turkey - Europe.

Second, Russia and Armenia scares from a possible Turkish Corridor starting from Turkic countries Tajikistan, Turkmenistan Kazakhstan etc and passing under Caspian Sea. Because such corridor is aimed to carry all natural gas and petrol resources from those Turkic nations directly to Europe. This means less Russian gas to Europe therefore less profit for Russians and less reliance to Russian gas by European nations which hampers Russian negotiating powers. With such corridor, Russia cannot use its natural resources as a trump card upon Europe and other countries.

Russia is number 1 supporter of Armenia.

Hope Armenian aggression stops ASAP or they will be wiped out it looks like.