Bangkok City Hall insists Pratunam vendors must go

webfact

City Hall insists Pratunam vendors must go

12957374_10154056714976119_1002662948_n-

BANGKOK: -- The City Administration told representatives of Pratunam vendors of the need the clear the sidewalks of all vendors in order to reclaim the sidewalks for pedestrians.

The city administrators led by Deputy Bangkok Governor Pol Gen Asawin Kwanmuang held a meeting with representatives of Pratunam vendors at the City Hall on Thursday. Also present at the meeting were police and military representatives.

Dr Wallop Suwandee, chief advisor of the Bangkok governor, told the press after the meeting that the vendors’ representatives were told of the need to reclaim the following sidewalks for pedestrians: both sides of Rajprarob road from Rajprarob intersection to Chalermloke bridge and both sides of footpaths of Petchburi road from Rajthevi intersection to Petchburi Soi 32.

There are altogether 12 points where trading by the vendors are permissible. Also there are 617 vendors in the 12 trading points and 174 outside the points. But, in the end, all of them will have to be evicted.

Dr Wallop however said that the city administration had arranged for five areas where the evicted vendors can start doing business. These include Sirinda night bazaar, Soi Petchburi 23, Soi Hasdin, Makaza market and Krung Thong Plaza 2 on Petchburi road.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158691

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-08

Lets see when, but of course it should happen. Fact is most of the vendors have shops INSIDE the buildings alongside the Baiyoke tower side.but crept onto the sidewalk to grab the punters walking by.

Maybe city hall should allocate some space for them so they can make a living, no wait their paid by taxpayers they dont care.

Why don't you read the story instead of just the headline. You might learn something. Like they have been offered alternative sites.

Maybe city hall should allocate some space for them so they can make a living, no wait their paid by taxpayers they dont care.

Why don't you read the story instead of just the headline. You might learn something. Like they have been offered alternative sites.

Splitting the market over at least five different sites is hardly a reasonable alternative for the people who source goods for their shops. Would you find it acceptable if say, for instance, you were shopping for clothes in Robinsons and after buying shirts at the Sukhumvit branch they told you to go to the Silom branch if you want socks? Underwear? Sorry, you'll have to go to the Ramintra branch for that.

By all means make the pavements walkable but leave the rest of the market alone.

Make them go including big lowhanging advertising signs, pressure wash the pavements, repair all holes and keep it clean and tidy! Let the quality tourists come.

Ohh and also get rid of all the dripping aircons and soidogs.

Edited by Thian

it is astonishing what little regard the government has for the livelihood of these vendors.

What's astonishing is that the government has allowed these vendors to operate in illegal locations ... i.e., the sidewalks ... for so many years.

it is astonishing what little regard the government has for the livelihood of these vendors.

What's astonishing is that the government has allowed these vendors to operate in illegal locations ... i.e., the sidewalks ... for so many years.

It's even more astonishing that there are westerners (who even don't live in BKK) defending those pesky streetvendors who block the walkways for pedestrians.

They just grab every opportunity to bash the current government. Let those vendors have a shop somewhere upcountry where they can have much space for their superbusiness. Bangkokians shop in malls with airconditioning, yes also for sunglasses, hairclips, fruit, deepfried food and combs.

Edited by Thian

Edited version: The attached news article says they have been offered alternative sites.

I prefer to attack the topic, not the messenger.

For many of us that live here, the street vendors are a pain, taking up far too much space and forcing us onto the road. However, these very same vendors are popular with tourists. There needs to be some middle ground.

Splitting the market over at least five different sites is hardly a reasonable alternative for the people who source goods for their shops. Would you find it acceptable if say, for instance, you were shopping for clothes in Robinsons and after buying shirts at the Sukhumvit branch they told you to go to the Silom branch if you want socks? Underwear? Sorry, you'll have to go to the Ramintra branch for that.

By all means make the pavements walkable but leave the rest of the market alone.

??????????? The pavement is for pedestrians. Many time in that area I have seen the "marketeers" intimidate pedestrians and consider some greater rights. Why? Because they pay some local sleaze offidicionado who pays somebody who pays somebody? As in most places in Thailand there are designated places for markets. Creating an institution of an illigitimate area and justifying it as some iconic right is less than debatable. That whole intersection has become a dangerous nightmare for pedestrians and I can well understand the call to end it! No more being kneecapped by pushy prats with steel wheeled barrows! It is bizzare, not a Bazzare!

Street vendors are one of the many reasons I like Thailand. If I wanted to visit a Singapore like city I would actually go to Singapore. Bangkok is great partly because of its chaotic side, please stop changing it.

Yep - the sights, smells and sounds of an indian buyer working up a sweat haggling for over 1 hour over an 80 baht t-shirt is what makes Bangkok great..... seriously.

??????????? The pavement is for pedestrians. Many time in that area I have seen the "marketeers" intimidate pedestrians and consider some greater rights. Why? Because they pay some local sleaze offidicionado who pays somebody who pays somebody? As in most places in Thailand there are designated places for markets. Creating an institution of an illigitimate area and justifying it as some iconic right is less than debatable. That whole intersection has become a dangerous nightmare for pedestrians and I can well understand the call to end it! No more being kneecapped by pushy prats with steel wheeled barrows! It is bizzare, not a Bazzare!

"There are altogether 12 points where trading by the vendors are permissible. Also there are 617 vendors in the 12 trading points and 174 outside the points. But, in the end, all of them will have to be evicted."

Why do the people trading at the 12 permissible points have to go?

What are the Thais going to do now. Have to walk more than one minute to get ping pong, moo ping and cra@ppy soft drinks with balls of flavoured flour paste sunk at the bottom.

That said, tourists do seem to like having crowded pavements/sidewalks to push slowly through. They always seem to promise something exotic, but deliver the same old tosh you get everywhere

• 2 weeks later...

In mid to high density areas, I'd be happy to see them go. I get really pissed not only navigating the carts and overhangs, but the hawkers really drive me nuts. They pretty much take over the sudewalk. In addition to selling, they eat, sleep and bring their kids down during breaks.

But the thing that sends me to the moon is I need to perpetually navigate around these people as they move about on the sidewalk. They never move a cm out of my way as they push past me.

It's a sidewalk for pedestrians.

I have great empathy for the poor but they simply must show deference while working on the footpath. You'd think they own it.

Also tired of seeing grease and whatnot on the footpath when they are gone.

Of course, any vendor selling tourist crap should just be shot and dragged off, but I don't live in those areas.

Clearing the streets free of illegal hawkers who are plying their wares on the footpaths that are meant for pedestrians is a task that is considered long overdue; however, clearing the footpath of illegal hawkers will only result in making it convenient for motor cycle riders taking illegal short-cuts on opposite sides of the same footpath and also create more spaces for illegal parking lots for Tuk-Tuk and cars.

I suspected that the Land Transport Dept’s hidden agenda is to force thousands of these streets vendors to return to gainful employments, considering that many businesses in Bangkok are very short of Thai staffs as legal or illegal hawking are lucrative enough to tempt millions of young people away from working in fixed income jobs. Additionally, it indirectly makes the job easier for the government / city council to monitor and collect more taxes from these people (illegal street vendors) who would otherwise pay no taxes (income).

Edited by DONHUAN