Any farangs living in Mukdahan ?

Tjena

Any farangs living in Mukdahan ?ermm.gif

..If yes .. then where do the farangs "hang out" or rather where is a good place for a farang to meet other farangs or a good bar to drink in where there may be other farangs ?

smile.png

Tell her that you're moving to Chiang Mai, and she's free to come if she wants.

Mukdahan won't be for you.

biggrin.png

hehe ,, ok,..

but seriously ? No farangs in Mukdahan ? No farang hangouts or bars ?

there are a few farangs here in Mukdahan

as for their hangouts or bars I have no idea

most of them keep too there self,or don't like people knowing were they live

the few that I know of start drinking as soon as they get up,an stop when they pass out

there are a few farangs here in Mukdahan

as for their hangouts or bars I have no idea

most of them keep too there self,or don't like people knowing were they live

the few that I know of start drinking as soon as they get up,an stop when they pass out

hehe ok..

Didnt see any, drove around town didnt find any bars either.

Up here attending a funeral. sad.pngcrying.gif

Will head back overseas in a few days after the rest of the rituals etc

Don't know the name of the bar, but as you drive to the tower it is on the right hand side of the road before you get to the tall hotel with the rotating restaurant. It had a pool table and is done up in western style. Thai owned, but I think on weekends an American guy plays guitar. I haven't been there for a couple of years, but if I was looking for farangs in a bar atmosphere it is the first place I would go.

thanks both of you. cant get the multiquote button to work..

anyway will see if I have time , energy to check it out, only day possible probably today as many days of rituals now..

sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngcrying.gif

Yes, my impression is that most farangs in this area are more interested in 'getting on with life' in Thailand, rather than mixing with other foreigners much.

My favourite restaurant is called Rimkong, on the river, almost directly behind the Inter hospital. I see farangs in there whenever
I go, but they are usually there with their fanilies- not bunches of foreigners.

biggrin.png

hehe ,, ok,..

Why on earth do you want to hang out with a bunch of drunken farangs?

Personally I find them a bloody nuisance. Took my gf out for a meal the other day (feeling guilty that she is always doing the cooking). Just sat down and ordered a beer when this drunken Irishman came over and tried to shake my hand like I was an old lost friend. I refused his hand and said I do not know you whereby he says he is having a drink with friends in another nearby restaurant and wants me to join them. Why he thought that I would be the least bit interested to join him I don't know. I told him to leave us and to go back to his friends. I live in rural Isaan where thankfully there are very few farang barflys so this does not happen often.

Don't misunderstand me I am not anti farang but I am not a tourist here for the beer and women. I do have farang friends and we occasionally get together for a cold one (a stor stark for the benefit of the op) but why some people search out other farang is beyond me.

Without doubt the Best Western Food in Mukdahan is at Mukdahan Manor's, Song Fung Khong Restaurant where you can have Aussie Steak, NZ Lamb Chops, Seafood from the Ocean plus Cold Beer. It's Owned by an Aussie. The Picking Cowboy is OK if you don't smoke as you have to sit outside if you do. Not much in the way of Ladies in the place except maybe late on Weekends I have seen a few in there. The Kareoke Bars at Mukdahan Tower are also OK for a few drinks and sometimes a few westerners get down there. Check Out www.mukdahan-manor.com for a good place to have food and drinks and as the Hot Season is upon us you can sit in A. C. Comfort.

biggrin.png

hehe ,, ok,..

Personally I find them a bloody nuisance. Took my gf out for a meal the other day (feeling guilty that she is always doing the cooking). Just sat down and ordered a beer when this drunken Irishman came over and tried to shake my hand like I was an old lost friend. I refused his hand and said I do not know you whereby he says he is having a drink with friends in another nearby restaurant and wants me to join them. Why he thought that I would be the least bit interested to join him I don't know. I told him to leave us and to go back to his friends. I live in rural Isaan where thankfully there are very few farang barflys so this does not happen often.

Don't misunderstand me I am not anti farang but I am not a tourist here for the beer and women. I do have farang friends and we occasionally get together for a cold one (a stor stark for the benefit of the op) but why some people search out other farang is beyond me.

Ok I understand you for sure but you tell me if you are new to a place how do you get to meet people from the west if you want new friends and help ?.

I have no problem help out people in thailand from the west I don't go around with my nose in the air and think I am Mr Thailand like you .

^^ But mate, you are the owner! Anyway, real nice place- enjoyed it there. I can recommend it.

I thought the OP was referring to pubs/ farang hangouts, and treated it accordingly.

But is it true that there is a more recent farang pub/ hangout in Mukda?

The old one closed down some years back, nice American bloke with eclectic taste in music owned it.

If you are a stuck up expat, hen pecked by your 'special' Thai wife (probably off a dating website), and now see yourself as 'more Thai' than others, Mukdahan seems to be the place for you, judging by some of the above posts.

I am jealous, because when I was younger, my dream was to live in the back of beyond, with no friends, and a wife, whose job it is, to take care of me.

All those years ago, I loved Mukdahan. Had some gorgeous seafood by the river, nice place, went up some tall tower that was the only attraction then to the national park which was a treat but did not see one visitor there and when I asked they said the last farang tourist to the park was 3 months ago - This was 15 years ago but i am sure you will find your place there, people are the same wherever you go as Paul Mc said in that song.

When I get taken out shopping makro, BigC and Robinson I often see them, I have no desire to communicate with them, let alone have a beer with them.

There certainly are some drunks, but I know and have met quite a few decent farangs here, and have special friends I have met through Thaivisa. Still a lot of good people around.

biggrin.png

hehe ,, ok,..

Shame, trying so hard and you can NEVER become a THAI either. So you prefer being neither fish nor fowl. Maybe the way you look at ALL other Farangs is exactly the way other Thais see you, just as another "Farang with an ATM is his pocket" . Fact, like it or not.Do not bother to reply I do not know you.

Thanks for all The responses, not looking to make friends or searching out other farangs as such. Having a hard time dealing with The funeral / death of a Loved one, so just needed to get out Maybe have a drink talk some shit give My mind a small break .

Farang means foreigner in Persian/ Arabic- spread via trade routes. Ferringhi in Malay, barang in Khmer. Would you prefer to be called gringo? You certainly would not appreciate being called foreigner in Cantonese.