UK visa for girlfriend

Hi. My girlfriend and I have been together for over 4 years and I'm considering a visit the uk for 3 months, (3 May 16) My question is. Is it possible to obtain a visa within 3 weeks?. any recommendations on visa company's, and estimated prices. Any info would be appreciated.

Much will depend on your GF's overall status. Has she traveled previously? Does she own property in Thailand. Does she have substantial funds in the bank? Bottom line: is there a high probability she will return to Thailand after three months?

A friend of mine recently obtained a visa for his GF. They have been together 5 years. He applied on line and you book an appointment at the same time. I think he had to pay the fee then. He went to BKK the following week with documents required and she was granted the visa within 5 days, so pretty quick. I believe the main concern UK have is she going to return to Thailand. Showing property, job or any other ties to here will help. It didn't seem too stressfull for him so good luck and will be a nice time in UK around May.

It depends if they have any appointments at Trendy. You might be lucky.

Application is about 80 uk pounds. But no guarantee of success. The initial application is done online. Then a visit to Trendy. Her interview will be conducted in Thai.

I would supply photos of the two of you together. Copies of your passport to prove you have been or are in Thailand. Also 6 months of UK bank statements to prove you can fund the trip. And a letter from the person you are planning on staying with. I fell foul a few years back and learnt.

Proof of her job / property in Thailand . All documents have to be in English.

We applied on the 29th March and I have just had an email saying my recent application has been assessed , they cant tell you a yes or no. So now just waiting for the passport of my G/f to be returned.

Good luck.

The turnround is currently quite quick. My GF's visa was issued within 3 working days. You will have to allow for the Songkran and May Day holidays though.

Edit: the process can speeded up significantly if you pay for the extra service.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

As has been pointed out applications are being turned round pretty quickly at the moment so in normal circumstance's your girlfriend might be lucky, however whilst she could submit her application over the weekend she would be very lucky if she were able to get an appointment to submit the hard copy of her application and supporting evidence before the Songkran holidays, she might want to consider the previous posters advice and went for a premium appointment.

I will repost the link that gives details of the application process vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/

Your girlfriend needs to submit her application, and pay the fee, online.

She will need to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that her proposed trip is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, she will return home at the conclusion of her visit.

The reason for her visit is quite straightforward, why is she visiting the UK, what are her plans, why is she intending going for three months, and where will you be living.

If she is funding the trip herself then she should provide evidence of affordability, bank books and the source of her funds. If you are sponsoring her then again evidence of the funds, adding why you are paying.

Reasons to return can be a stumbling block, if she's in employment then providing that her employers can provide evidence of her employment and that they are allowing her a three month holiday, then all well and good. If she has her own business then she needs to provide details of who would manage the business during her break. If you are using your relationship, you seem to be based in Thailand, then provide details of that relationship together with your joint ties here and your status in Thailand. You might want to add why you need to go to the UK for three months.

I note the previous advice about submitting photographs, whilst many people do this, I've done it myself, the UKVI now specifically advise against doing so. I've attached the list of documents advised by the UKVI.

As to your question about an agent, straightforward applications don't require the services of an agent, a reputable agent would tell you that, but if you did decide to use an agent the only one that, seems, to be in your area is Thai Visa Express, not because they're sponsors of this forum but because they're good.

Visitor Supporting Documents Guide.pdf

It was about 3 years ago that i applied for a G/F to visit the UK.

One of the reasons they declined was they didnt know we was in a relationship or knew each other. So that was the reason for the suggestion about the photos.

This application March 2016. They did ring G/f employer asking lots of questions. So they do check

UKVI changed the rules on photographs.

One reason that my other half had her first visa refused was that there were insufficient photos to convince the ECO that it was a genuine relationship. Over the next few years the standing joke was one photo for us, one for UKBA!

I suspect that ECO's were being bogged down with pages and pages of photos, covering every aspect of the relationship, right down to Aunty V finding the heat too much in 2007 and being cooled off by the applicant!

Now they specifically ask, not to see photos! Much more my attitude to them compared to my wife who has to photograph everything!!

Still don't think it does any harm to provide a few pictures covering the whole relationship. Just put them in a file at the back and reference them in the covering letter. They can be considered or ignored by the ECO at will!

Thorough preparation is the key to a good application. ECO's do not grant visas based on the weight of the documentation!

Reason for visa is easy. Affordability is important. If you are paying, you should show bank statements to show where the money is coming from. If the applicant is paying, bank details, payslips and written permission to take the time off but confirming when the applicant is expected back at work. If the employer letter is in English then the ECO may expect the employer to converse in English should they check the details. Evidence that the employer actually exists may be useful for smaller businesses!

Employment plus property owned, rental agreements and other evidence of commitments that require the applicant to return, all help build up the picture.

None of this should be that difficult for genuine applicants so don't get too paranoid!

• Like 1

From the feed back I'm reading it pays to go well armed with lots of data even if your not asked to provide the info.

Put yourself in the shoes of the ECO, you have an application sitting on your desk and you have a few minutes to make a decision, the supporting documents contain a wedge of unnecessary information.

The ECO is expected to plough through all this supporting evidence to find the relevant information, don't you think they could possibly miss something important?

I seem to recall this is a trick used by lawyers in the disclosure process, they overwhelm the opposing lawyers with so much information in the expectation that it will be missed, thus affecting the progress of the case.

• Like 1

If the employer letter is in English then the ECO may expect the employer to converse in English should they check the details.

With respect, Bob, I think it's more accurate to say that if any supporting letter is written in English the ECO will expect to speak to the letter's signatory in English; and will doubt the letter's authenticity if that person is unable to do so.

Of course, if the letter is in Thai, with an English translation, then a Thai speaking member of staff will phone the signatory if required.

• Like 1