Gay hairdressers can legally be called “faggots” in France

rooster59

Funny stuff. The English definition for faggot is a piece of firewood.

No idea how the word became used for referring to gay men.....

In Texas the word is used as a slur in describing a gay man.

but France is not in Texas, which is the location of this topic

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the UK it is a VERY offensive word to call a gay person.

Its just the same and using the 'N' word for black people.

People who are not in minority groups can not really understand how hurtful and upsetting these words are if people say them to you.

Some people have said people can call them what they like... but that is because they are not in a minority group and have not been attacked, beaten up, discriminated against and bullied for what they are.

Have a bit of empathy for other people! Just because a word is not offensive in your country does not mean it isn't in another place. Learn a few very offensive Thai words and use them on Thais... then when you get into trouble.. tell them its not offensive in your country.. see how that goes.

Well to keep the thread on topic...in France a court has judged its not....

Any word these days can be a 'slur'...

So much so that I am sometimes afraid to use the English language. How are people who learnt English as a foreign language and are using it rarely to keep up with changes of words that one day are a perfectly normal and innocent words and the next day a criminally offensive insult? If it weren't for my reading of Thaivisa I would not be aware that faggot nowadays means anything but the musical instrument called fagotto in Italian.

One of the factors I've noticed biggots share is they're not very bright.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you do know "bigot" only has one "g" don't you ?....whistling.gif

unlike "faggot" which has two..rolleyes.gif

now don't get me started on the professionally offended

Edited by Bobotie

Some people have said people can call them what they like... but that is because they are not in a minority group and have not been attacked, beaten up, discriminated against and bullied for what they are.

Been a biker all my life. I know what discrimination is. You do not have to be non White, or non anything. Or be anything. And I do not go around and call people names which may insult them. At least not anymore. Do a couple of bits and you will learn tolerance. Or learn tolerance of pain.

So much so that I am sometimes afraid to use the English language. How are people who learnt English as a foreign language and are using it rarely to keep up with changes of words that one day are a perfectly normal and innocent words and the next day a criminally offensive insult? If it weren't for my reading of Thaivisa I would not be aware that faggot nowadays means anything but the musical instrument called fagotto in Italian.

I know ,when i was in the UK last time i used the word coloured , and was told that you cant use that anymore its offensive ,so i said to my mate who is black really? and he reckoned people are offended by it , so i said are you? i wont repeat on here what he said about the "offended" people as i may get banned but it started with a w and ended with an s .,

I would imagine it would have shocked you somewhat at first to hear that Britons eat them for dinner.

biggrin.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

Everytime theres an issue regarding race or something concerning a minority, its the same posters objecting to said minorities issues claiming they arnt biggots arnt racists but,,, the real problem is those people sticking up for other peoples rights that are really the issue,, really !!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So let me get this right, nearly the whole thread has been generated as a result of a mistake in the lead article,"pede" (pederast - a man who has sex with boys) being read as "faggot", which probably isn't even a good translation. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Funny stuff. The English definition for faggot is a piece of firewood.

No idea how the word became used for referring to gay men.....

Origin information:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=faggot

I'm to going to assume that faggots not being a French word is possibly less inflammatory than it is in some English speaking nations.

Example From your source:

"He [the prefect] used to fag me to blow the chapel organ for him. ["Boy's Own Paper," 1889]"

Dontcha just luv the English penchant for euphemism?

PC terms which offend make me laugh. eg Blackboard causes offence, the PC term is chalkboard. So I'm watching an educational programme from England. They have a white board in the class room. It was referred to as the whiteboard. Not racist though eh? Can I call homosexuals homo, cos I think the English language should reclaim gay as happy.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

do the french pronounce the "ot" the same as "escargot". Would "faggot" rhyme with "escargot"?

a

Depends how "you" pronounce "escargot"

Both are pronounced the same way: the "t" is mute ( ending like "to go" )

Fargo / escargo

I will post here again to apologize for my mistake in taking the OP "news" article literally about the f word.

I had INCORRECTLY assumed that the English anti-gay slur f word in question had somehow migrated into French usage, in a similar way to LE WEEKEND.

But indeed, as some French posters have said and I was too dim to get, they were talking about a very rough TRANSLATION of the French anti-gay slur pédé to the English f word slur.

So sorry, but again, the news story in the OP should have pointed that out.

All this pointless chatter about the f word slur (and meatballs, ciggies, and whatever else) when that was never even the word in question.whistling.gif

https://sacratomatovillepost.com/2016/04/08/paris-court-rules-its-ok-to-call-a-gay-hairdresser-a-faggot/

The words used in French were “sale PD“, with PD being short for “pédé”, a derogatory term that normally translates as “faggot”.

To those whining about things being "too PC" get a grip, the decision in this case was a win for your cause, which apparently is about the "freedom" to use hateful slur words against minority groups to perhaps make you feel more superior or something.

Edited by Jingthing

To be politically correct in France you can use the word homosexuel(le) or the word gay. Using the word homo is starting to become politically incorrect. I guess the word "gay" will be also in the future so may-be "heterosexually challenged" will have to be used.biggrin.png

Well, the article suggests that it IS an anti-gay slur in France, but I'm suggesting that possibly it's less a severe one there. Yes, in the U.S. it's very severe.

There are LEVELS of slurs and it's natural that the levels would sometimes be different in different countries for the same word, especially foreign words.

For example, in the U.S. saying "f you" isn't usually that big a deal but say it to a Thai and you're often risking your life.

Just recently I learned the ORIGIN of the British slur p--f. I had considered it rather whimsical (it's not common in the U.S.) but knowing the origin, not so much.

As far as French law, I don't think this ruling suggests that it is officially recommended to use the slur faggots, but rather that it is not CRIMINALIZING it. That sounds entirely reasonable.

and in Australia if you called someone a Bastard it is a term of endearment. Hey you old bastard, how they hanging cobber Edited by Thechook

However, it decided it could not be considered discriminatory.

The employee, who wants to remain anonymous, was awarded 5,000 euros.

He plans to appeal the decision.

wacko.png

It was not discriminatory, but still awarded 5,000 Euros,

...and wants to appeal??? facepalm.gif