Springsteen cancels show because of North Carolina law

rooster59

I happen to agree with you that employment and housing discrimination protection is more important than transgender bathroom access issues, even for transgender people.

That is good to know. I think those things should be protected for EVERYONE. HUMAN lives matter.

As far as the NC law goes, doesn't it directly mention the silly bathroom thing? If that is the main point of the bill, I find that ridiculous.

"bars students attending public institutions from using the bathroom that does not conform to their gender at birth."

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kind of annoying when especially rock stars or movie stars try get into any political debate...pretend they actually give a crap about the little people.

But in that industry, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

I dont see him cancelling shows over more important issues that arent going to get any attention

For the most part, long career celebrities should be banned from making any any political statements whatsoever. Based on the fact they live in la la land with teams of yes men/ladies/other telling them they are geniuses and agreeing with ever word they say.

Do love how many of those who are against gay rights cover their prejudice by attacking Springsteen's musical abilities.... boycott of SA back when also had effects on those against apartheid (the majority of population, I dare say). In spite of ban on international sports, etc, they were smart enough to understand it was important part of larger struggle. Springsteen's fans also smart enough to figure this out, I reckon.

WOW the professionally offended strike again...one attacks Springsteens musical ability because he is a talentless hack... so you must be anti-gay, that's about as delusion as as equating a dislike for sushi as being anti Japanese.

Springsteen is ranked #14 in a list of Rock & Roll singers net worth.

His earnings are estimated $80 million per year.

He falls just below other talentless hacks like McCartney, Jagger & Elton John.

Earnings are no measure of talent...the Kardashian clan has a net worth around USD 300 million and don't think there would be any disagreement they are talentless ?

out the 3 you mention only one has any real talent..and that's McCartney...Jagger is singer in the band and someone else writes Elton John's material

Do love how many of those who are against gay rights cover their prejudice by attacking Springsteen's musical abilities....

Agree. That's the thing about bigots, they're naturally dishonest. This thread has nothing to do with the man's music, but rather, that he's taking a political stand. I'm pretty sure the Boss could care less that he's pissing off the bigots. In fact, I believe that was his intention.

Earnings are no measure of talent...the Kardashian clan has a net worth around USD 300 million and don't think there would be any disagreement they are talentless ?

out the 3 you mention only one has any real talent..and that's McCartney...Jagger is singer in the band and someone else writes Elton John's material

Agreed, Net worth means squat.

Kardashians, Trump, Paris Hilton..you're right... there are allot of talentless buffoons out there that inherited megabucks or are freaky enough to get their faces plastered all over the TV.

Now, record sales DO equate to talent, Agreed?

Edited by CousinEddie

Without even knowing any of the details of the law or having any strong views on Springsteen's music can nobody see what a minefield this is?

What about world tours, oh no cant go to China because of Tibet, nor India because of the caste system. In PNG they still eat each other and have the Ecuadorian Indians stopped shrinking heads yet? And as it goes for Countries so it does for states and cities. By all means put your hand in your pocket to support what you find important privately, but this move just strikes me as virtue signaling, which is all too prevalent these days.

Edited by Steely Dan

Without even knowing any of the details of the law or having any strong views on Springsteen's music can nobody see what a minefield this is?

What about world tours, oh no cant go to China because of Tibet, nor India because of the caste system. In PNG they still eat each other and have the Ecuadorian Indians stopped shrinking heads yet? And as it goes for Countries so it does for states and cities. By all means put your hand in your pocket to support what you find important privately, but this move just strikes me as virtue signaling, which is all too prevalent these days.

I am not sure, but I don't think that Bruce Springsteen is a citizen of Papua New Guinea. I might be wrong. So why expect him to have views on what happens there? Besides, I have worked there many times over the years and never been offered 'long pig' to eat.

People voting with their dollars. Is that not the right wing capitalist ideology? As an American, he even has a constitutional right to speak his mind and spend his money where he wants.

'Virtue Signaling'? From which memo from the Right Wing Think Tank Meme-Maker did this emerge? Another attack on freedom of expression by the defenders of the Constitution?

Religious bigotry laws are just the latest battleground in the Culture Wars that the bigots lost last year. They just don't know it yet. They are Zombie Bigots. Bruce Springsteen is being just one voice of those who are not Un-Dead. Good on him.

I think part of this fight against the growing wave of state anti-GLBT laws is to SCARE other states from going to same way. This has already worked in Georgia, a major large state. At the very least states are going to think twice about sabotaging their own business climate by passing obviously hateful discriminatory laws.

Kardashians, Trump, Paris Hilton..you're right... there are allot of talentless buffoons out there that inherited megabucks or are freaky enough to get their faces plastered all over the TV.

And they sell or sold in the millions cos the writers connect with everyday people and often reflect their needs and dreams So perhaps if more people like springsteen, that historically voice politic issues through simple verse, make stands the ensuing media rampage maybe would make much needed social reforms come quicker.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No loss ..not much of a musician anyway, and the success he had was years ago...a "has been" in the same vein as the Stones, just with less talent

You just reminded me of a very apropos saying:

Those who “can’t” criticize those who “can”.

The review of the Kansas City show was glowing in it's praise. Heard reports from people that were there it was fantastic.

The point of the boycott is to get the people to stop allowing these politicians who cater to the right wing to be elected.

TH

The review of the Kansas City show was glowing in it's praise. Heard reports from people that were there it was fantastic.

The point of the boycott is to get the people to stop allowing these politicians who cater to the right wing to be elected.

TH

No right wing and you have one party government, another liberal reveals his true colors in the name of tolerance.

Not nowadays, no.

I am not sure, but I don't think that Bruce Springsteen is a citizen of Papua New Guinea. I might be wrong. So why expect him to have views on what happens there? Besides, I have worked there many times over the years and never been offered 'long pig' to eat.

People voting with their dollars. Is that not the right wing capitalist ideology? As an American, he even has a constitutional right to speak his mind and spend his money where he wants.

'Virtue Signaling'? From which memo from the Right Wing Think Tank Meme-Maker did this emerge? Another attack on freedom of expression by the defenders of the Constitution?

Religious bigotry laws are just the latest battleground in the Culture Wars that the bigots lost last year. They just don't know it yet. They are Zombie Bigots. Bruce Springsteen is being just one voice of those who are not Un-Dead. Good on him.

Bruce Springsteen was born in New Jersey was he not, so why bother about North Carolina by your logic? Though I've no doubt you have approved of artists not playing Sun City during the apartheid era. There is no constitutional issue here so why bring it up? If you are in favour of the principle of boycotts then you are in danger of being held open to accusations of double standards unless you subscribe to a bewildering list of causes. What about states that sanction the death penalty or allow fracking?

P.s so tiring debating with liberals who try to do an end run with what they imagine your views to be and hence project away. As I stated in my previous post I don't know details of the law but my point is based on a wider principle.

Not nowadays, no.

Don't waste our time.

TH

No right wing and you have one party government, another liberal reveals his true colors in the name of tolerance.

Big fan of the Turner Diaries I bet...

TH

For the most part, long career celebrities should be banned from making any any political statements whatsoever. Based on the fact they live in la la land with teams of yes men/ladies/other telling them they are geniuses and agreeing with ever word they say.

And deprive us of Donald Trump. No way man, no way.

Don't waste our time.

Perhaps you haven't looked at the Billboard top 100 for a while.

It's mostly vacuous bubble gum pop or "rap" (with a silent "C") allied with Autotune.

They are mostly there because of record company marketing.

Most modern popular music is what constitutes a waste of time.

Pop quizzes are going to be infinitely more difficult in years to come because the rubbish mostly sounds the same.

Bruce Springsteen was born in New Jersey was he not, so why bother about North Carolina by your logic? Though I've no doubt you have approved of artists not playing Sun City during the apartheid era. There is no constitutional issue here so why bring it up? If you are in favour of the principle of boycotts then you are in danger of being held open to accusations of double standards unless you subscribe to a bewildering list of causes. What about states that sanction the death penalty or allow fracking?

P.s so tiring debating with liberals who try to do an end run with what they imagine your views to be and hence project away. As I stated in my previous post I don't know details of the law but my point is based on a wider principle.

Yeah 'wider principle ' as in a minority hating right wing biggot.

Don't waste our time.

It's mostly vacuous bubble gum pop or "rap" (with a silent "C") allied with Autotune.

Pop quizzes are going to be infinitely more difficult in years to come because the rubbish mostly sounds the same.

Jeez double dull Chicog, you sound just like my old man in the 70's and i was playing csny steely Dan eagles ect ect. And probably like every old man in every generation since.

Again the bill is basically about two things.

Making it impossible for any jurisdiction in N.C. to pass general anti-discrimation laws about GLBT people.

AND

The transgender bathroom RED HERRING.

Quite possibly the majority even in southern states are against the former but the latter BOOGEYMAN bathroom issue riles up people's emotions.

So the right wing is USING this trick in a number of states now to pass some really HORRIBLE anti-GLBT CIVIL RIGHTS legislation.

HOWEVER, any state that does pass such legislation is definitely going to experience an economic hit from it.

Some states might not care, but others such as GEORGIA do.

Georgia has a HUGE film and t.v. production industry. If they had passed similar legislation they would have LOST IT.

Hateful legislation has a PRICE.

Sadly the GLBT civil rights movement in the USA is a long, long road.

Marriage equality was major but some states are pushing back on even that.

And the BIGGER victory, not anywhere near accomplished is NATIONAL legislation protecting GLBT people against discrimination in housing and employment, etc.

Yes, in large parts of the USA you can be legally fired just for being GLBT.

National polls say a strong majority of Americans are in favor of that kind of basic legal protection, but all, the votes for it aren't even close to winning that in congress.

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder at your wider principle. Are you on some journey of discovery about what type of moral relativist you are? Your posts make it clear that you do not believe in Universal Truths so maybe you are progressing to Meta-Ethical Moral Relativism.

I happen to hold that there are Universal Truths applicable to this situation. The truth that all people are created equal and are entitled to dignity and equal protection under law. This is clearly also a Constitutional issue as it was this basis that formed the SCOTUS decision in Obergefell v Hodges in 2015 (the so-called marriage equality decision).

Circling back to your moral relativism and expectation of Springsteen to be equally vocal on all issues that he considers right and wrong and your continued reference to not knowing the core issues of the North Carolina religious bigotry law, I am reminded of something that Desmond Tutu is reputed to have said:

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse, and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality." http://www.tutufoundation-usa.org/exhibitions.html

Edited by lostboy

Don't waste our time.

Jeez double dull Chicog, you sound just like my old man in the 70's and i was playing csny steely Dan eagles ect ect. And probably like every old man in every generation since.

Except back then they didn't have machines that manufactured the music and autotune that made hideously talentless airheads sounding like they could sing.

The rubbish used to get filtered out.

I find it nothing short of false advertising that most modern acts can even dare to call themselves musicians.

Edited by Chicog

Yeah 'wider principle ' as in a minority hating right wing biggot.

QED my last point. The name calling begins and you haven't even bothered to ask my opinion on gay rights or any of your other sacred cows (you may be surprised if you did). As it happens I see little problem with TG people being allowed to choose the toilet they identify with. The worst that could happen is 'Mummy, <deleted> is that Alice cooper in a frock?'. But with the illiberal totalitarian brain waiting for auto cue attitudes like yours I'm sorely tempted to think good for you North Carolina if this is who you upset.

Don't waste our time.

Except back then they didn't have machines that manufactured the music and autotune that made hideously talentless airheads sounding like they could sing.

The rubbish used to get filtered out.

I find it nothing short of false advertising that most modern acts can even dare to call themselves musicians.

Chicog. ' back then' there were plenty of absolutely shit bands with singers that couldn't sing , that with the help of technology of the day and a bloody good producer and/or a record label bank rolling the lot believing they could sell a band on its image alone that turned less than average gripe into chart topping million dollar cash cows. Nothing WHAT SO EVER has changed not even the arguments.

Edited by rijit