Free Entry to National Parks for Thais on ‘Family Day’

rooster59

The "principle" is to subsidize poor Thai nationals by charging people who CAN afford to pay a little more, it is not a bad principle when you consider what it actually is. What principle did you think it was?

The "principle" is to subsidise poor Thai nationals by charging demanding a higher entrance fee from some people who the National Parks Dept. deems able to afford to pay a little quite a lot more, so long as they aren't rich Thai nationals. it is not a bad principle when you consider what it actually is.

Edited by MartinL

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of the national parks are quite boring anyway, my garden is much more fascinating and its free 365 days of the year.

Utterly subjective and facile comment that says more about the poster than the issues involved

The issue is overcharging. So? The answer is simple, don't go! Nature is everywhere, you don't have to go to a national park to enjoy it!

Wow! This guy really takes the biscuit.....I just can't figure how someone who understands so little feels he can in all honesty post on this thread.

Well, you are posting as well.

Love threads like this when they bring out the apologists defending discriminatory pricing.

Do you also fight for the rights of the Swiss and the Japanese not to pay MORE than their tourists or is it only when it is not in your favor?

I think all discrimination is wrong.

As is defending it.

Why would I need to be an executive of a Thai company ?

Maybe you should educate yourself on the requirements to obtain citizenship.

Have a read here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/19731-thai-citizenship-requirements/

Would a forum on TV really be the place to "educate" yourself on this matter? I was going by the Thai Embassy, who state that as a requirement for PR status which eventually leads to citizenship. You can educate yourself about that here: http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php

That's the best garbage you can come up with?

That's pathetic, even for you.

Interesting. So a bit less demonising and belittling and back to subject.

Do you defend it?

You seem to think the topic is about dual pricing....it isn't....it's about family day.

There are plenty of other issues surrounding this idea as outlined above......why not get up to speed and first read the OP?

Love threads like this when they bring out the apologists defending discriminatory pricing.

Do you also fight for the rights of the Swiss and the Japanese not to pay MORE than their tourists or is it only when it is not in your favor?

As is defending it.

I do not see it as discrimination myself but a way of subsidizing the poor.

As is defending it.

I agree. When I pay full fare for a airline ticket when my kids pay half fare I consider that discrimination as well.

Or will you defend adults paying a different price than children for the same seat?

Do you defend it?

You do know what discrimination is don't you?

It's not the same as a price structure based upon considerations of age.

It's not the same as something that is applied to all regardless of gender, faith and nationality.

Discrimination is based upon prejudice and all the bigotry that accompanies it. Can you really not see that?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Have a read here.

Would a forum on TV really be the place to "educate" yourself on this matter? I was going by the Thai Embassy, who state that as a requirement for PR status which eventually leads to citizenship. You can educate yourself about that here: http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php

I dont need to do the PR.

TV offers a wealth of information in regards to citizenship, you should have a search and educate yourself as you don't seem to very knowledgeable on the subject at all.

Edited by Don Mega

Do you defend it?

You seem to think the topic is about dual pricing....it isn't....it's about family day.

There are plenty of other issues surrounding this idea as outlined above......why not get up to speed and first read the OP?

No the thread is about discrimination in all it's forms.

The "principle" is to subsidize poor Thai nationals by charging people who CAN afford to pay a little more, it is not a bad principle when you consider what it actually is. What principle did you think it was?

The "principle" is to subsidise poor Thai nationals by charging demanding a higher entrance fee from some people who the National Parks Dept. deems able to afford to pay a little quite a lot more, so long as they aren't rich Thai nationals. it is not a bad principle when you consider what it actually is.

There is no demand, it is a charge, demands are compulsory, entry is not. The last park I went to was 100 baht for foreigners, 20 baht for Thais, if 80 baht is "quite a lot" for you then you should go home and get a job.

As is defending it.

And I see the very opposite.

Have a read here.

TV offers a wealth of information in regards to citizenship, you should have a search and educate yourself as you don't seem to very knowledgeable on the subject at all.

Quite unusual to get enough points without it, I prefer the Thai Embassy as they are accurate whereas forums are full of misunderstandings and misquotes like you posted above, which is actually an edited version of a page from the Thai embassy missing out the line about points from PR, but each to their own.

Do you defend it?

And I stated why this is not a black and white subject with my example that some will defend as being duel pricing or different in nature or all the other excuses we may hear.

I appreciate all responses though and respect all view points. It is great we can discuss this amicable on this forum.

Have a great evening Bluespunkand and I enjoy your posts.

As is defending it.

The opposite would be penalizing the poor, they are not, so how do you see that?

Do you defend it?

No it's not, get of your high horse.

All countries have the right to offer its citizens discounts and special offers, and all countries do. Just because you are living here as a visitor it annoys you, how arrogant.

As is defending it.

I agree. When I pay full fare for a airline ticket when my kids pay half fare I consider that discrimination as well.

Or will you defend adults paying a different price than children for the same seat?

Do you defend it?

It's not the same as something that is applied to all regardless of gender, faith and nationality.

Discrimination is based upon prejudice and all the bigotry that accompanies it. Can you really not see that?

You never answered my question, do you think it wrong that Japanese and Swiss nationals subsidize their tourists? Or are you going to erroneously claim that subsidies are discriminatory? Anyway, who really cares what you think, I am happy to subsidize the poor and I am happy if their are less moaning foreigners to share the park with, have fun on the net, I am off to see some wildlife, laters.

And foreigners with Thai families?

Why am I even bother to ask.

If foreigners with Thai families cant be arsed to get citizenship then of course they should have to pay. Most can't even be bothered to attempt to integrate judging on the Thai language level of many I've met. If you want to live as an outcast take the consequences.

Amen to that Johhny.

I'll pop on down to the citizenship kiosk and grab me one, Do you want me to grab one for you whilst Iam there ?

If you met the criteria you could but I bet you don't but don't assume that nobody does. You have to invest 10 million, be an executive officer and owner of the business, have a degree, married to a Thai, earn at least 50,000 and then the fee is 200,000, and then there is also a quota of 100 people per nationality per year, there are never enough applicants from any Western countries who meet the criteria and who want it so that is not an issue for most of us. And anyway, do you want to give up your current citizenship? There are no duel citizenship's for Thailand. You might note that no countries hand out citizenship to any old person who wants it, they have to want them.

Rubbish. When I applied last year I needed 40,000 a month, which is fair enough.

The fee was 5000 baht. I have little in the bank and have invested nothing.

There is dual citizenship for Thailand.

God, what an ignorant post!

Have a read here.

Quite unusual to get enough points without it, I prefer the Thai Embassy as they are accurate whereas forums are full of misunderstandings and misquotes like you posted above, which is actually an edited version of a page from the Thai embassy missing out the line about points from PR, but each to their own.

Minimum 50 points needed, I score more than that and am not registered in a house book or tabien baan so collect no points from the domicile section.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/516756-points-system-for-citizenship/

Edited by Don Mega

You never answered my question, do you think it wrong that Japanese and Swiss nationals subsidize their tourists? Or are you going to erroneously claim that subsidies are discriminatory? Anyway, who really cares what you think, I am happy to subsidize the poor and I am happy if their are less moaning foreigners to share the park with, have fun on the net, I am off to see some wildlife, laters.

Agreed. I might go out to the national parks as well.

Apparently my wife and kids get to go for free so a bonus for me.

Thanks Thailand. Gotta love living here.

As is defending it.

the poor dept of National Parks?

As is defending it.

The opposite would be penalizing the poor, they are not, so how do you see that?

No the opposite to your view is this is a discriminatory policy based on nationality. If they wanted to benifut the poor through pricing such pricing would be based upon income not nationality.

@Shawn0001

You

Me

I did answer your question.

As to who cares? I do. And so should everyone who recognises discrimination as being wrong.

Edited by Bluespunk

See now publically they are admitting to racism, even a foreigner married to a Thai cannot get free entry with his Thai family, if that is not racism what is.

Thais try not to say the word but it is there nonetheless. In many walks of life and dealing with Thai government agencies over the years. racism with a large 'R'

And foreigners with Thai families?

Why am I even bother to ask.

If foreigners with Thai families cant be arsed to get citizenship then of course they should have to pay. Most can't even be bothered to attempt to integrate judging on the Thai language level of many I've met. If you want to live as an outcast take the consequences.

Amen to that Johhny.

I'll pop on down to the citizenship kiosk and grab me one, Do you want me to grab one for you whilst Iam there ?

If you met the criteria you could but I bet you don't but don't assume that nobody does. You have to invest 10 million, be an executive officer and owner of the business, have a degree, married to a Thai, earn at least 50,000 and then the fee is 200,000, and then there is also a quota of 100 people per nationality per year, there are never enough applicants from any Western countries who meet the criteria and who want it so that is not an issue for most of us. And anyway, do you want to give up your current citizenship? There are no duel citizenship's for Thailand. You might note that no countries hand out citizenship to any old person who wants it, they have to want them.

This site says different with no mention of investment, owner of a business or a degree mentioned.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Thailand/Thailand-Guide/Visas-Permits/Thai-Citizenship

Thank you generalissimo Surasak for expressing your deep appreciation of foreigners who feed you for a large part,

and exclude them from a once a year freebee.

THEY ARE THE SMALL THINGS THAT COUNT.

This small thing doesn't count for much for many I can assure you. I was in a park yesterday, by far the majority of the visitors were of European decent, the dual pricing is not putting off tourists, perhaps a few cheap charlies who would happily drink a beer priced more than the foreigner entrance ticket, but not the intelligent clientele that frequent the parks on a regular basis, they are happy to help subsidize the upkeep. And foreigners contribute a SMALL part to the economy not a large part, about 8.5%, farming and manufacture feed Thailand's economy not a load of moaning ex-pats, thanks.

Your line regarding intelligent clientele is wrong and insulting.

I do wonder how many of them understand they are being charged 10 x the Thai price? I wonder if you would pay if it was suddenly put up to 4,000 baht?

People living here, working with families still get the 10 x added price. Do you really find that an acceptable method to run a business, which parks are if you are being charged?