Thailand's 'F' word: Offensive or harmless?

webfact

I was waiting to be served in a coffee shop. The barista told the waitress. This one is for the farang. I thought to myself "how ignorant".

Imagine I was a black person in UK and they said this one is for the X (I won't say it because it's out of line).

I guess it just boils down to ignorance and poor education.

Indeed!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we have here is a clash of cultures. Those of us in the West have been educated through time to understand that referring to a person by race, creed,color etc is considered not only rude but possibly racist or certainly not politically correct. Many of my black friends call each other - 'niggah' an offshoot of the hard ending. They do it to take the sting of years of racism away. They would not get mad if I did it but as a white person I cannot bring myself to refer to a friend with a term that is actually offensive.

Thai people have not had the history of anyone protesting against certain terminology or making it evident that certain terms are offensive. Thai people ask each other personal questions that we would never ask in the West. Thais have a long history of categorizing people by race; color; sexual preference and many other things. Thais are not offended and they cannot understand why we would be. It is just a different perspective. As long as there is no outward animosity or a qualified added to the term Farang- I just let it go. Thailand will evolve eventually and reach a point where the culture will adjust just as Western civilization will. The only term I really resent is being called 'it' or Mun in Thai. this indicates I am not even a person and is extremely derogatory as well as racist. This term is normally used by the so called hi so people that are allegedly educated and fully understand what it means. That is what makes it even worse. I can ignore an uneducated rural Thai calling me a Farang or backsida but calling me an 'it' will not be tolerated.

Good post. thumbsup.gif

I was waiting to be served in a coffee shop. The barista told the waitress. This one is for the farang. I thought to myself "how ignorant".

Imagine I was a black person in UK and they said this one is for the X (I won't say it because it's out of line).

Might wanna change your coffeeshop!!rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Contrary to what the article says, "Farang Kiee Nok" isn't derived from "Bird S*** Caucasian", as actually it comes from a pun using the other meaning of Farang (Guava).

As there is a type of guava called Farang Kiee Nok, which looks like it'd be really nice to eat, but is full of tiny little seeds (And thus not actually as good as anticipated).

Thus the term Farang Kiee Nok more refers to the expectation that the Farang will be rich etc like most Farang, but in truth he's just like a normal Thai person.

Kiee does mean s*** but it's also used to transform a noun or similar into a negative characteristic. It's use is "kinda" like using "Jai" in front of a word but is a negative characteristic rather than the mostly positive ones that Jai implies.

Where did you get this information? Every Thai I know uses Kiee to describe excrement. Kiee Ma for example.

Kee the same spelling Thai (ขี้) followed by kiiat means "lazy" If you add mao to kee you get drunken.

According to thai language.com .......[idiomatic prefix implying] a bad or negative character trait

What we have here is a clash of cultures. Those of us in the West have been educated through time to understand that referring to a person by race, creed,color etc is considered not only rude but possibly racist or certainly not politically correct. Many of my black friends call each other - 'niggah' an offshoot of the hard ending. They do it to take the sting of years of racism away. They would not get mad if I did it but as a white person I cannot bring myself to refer to a friend with a term that is actually offensive.

Thai people have not had the history of anyone protesting against certain terminology or making it evident that certain terms are offensive. Thai people ask each other personal questions that we would never ask in the West. Thais have a long history of categorizing people by race; color; sexual preference and many other things. Thais are not offended and they cannot understand why we would be. It is just a different perspective. As long as there is no outward animosity or a qualified added to the term Farang- I just let it go. Thailand will evolve eventually and reach a point where the culture will adjust just as Western civilization will. The only term I really resent is being called 'it' or Mun in Thai. this indicates I am not even a person and is extremely derogatory as well as racist. This term is normally used by the so called hi so people that are allegedly educated and fully understand what it means. That is what makes it even worse. I can ignore an uneducated rural Thai calling me a Farang or backsida but calling me an 'it' will not be tolerated.

"Many of my black friends call each other - 'niggah' an offshoot of the hard ending. They do it to take the sting of years of racism away. They would not get mad if I did it but as a white person I cannot bring myself to refer to a friend with a term that is actually offensive."

FYI ~ sir, there is a huge constituency of black people who take serious exception to being "labeled" in that manner, and especially by another black person. So, your so-called "black friends" are obviously products of the "Affirmative Action (EEOC) Campaign" debacle era of U.S. politics, spearheaded by the Judas goat, Rev. Jesse Jackson, vis-a-vis, the Rainbow Coalition. Duh!coffee1.gif

i wouldn't mind if there was consensus but it seems to me that there is deep division among us on whether the word is offensive or not

I don't think blacks are divided on whether or not the word "n***er" is offensive

Nor do I think Chinese are divided on whether or not the word "ch**k or "s**nt" is offensive

If you don't like being called farang, tell the offending individuals to stop; if they don't cease and desist, start punching people out, see how far that gets you laugh.png

Wrong, blacks are definitely divided on that issue. Here's my take on it: FYI ~ "Niggers" exist in all skin colors. As a Black American, I have absolutely no problem with calling a white, latino or Asian the "N" word, should they behave in an "oncouth" manner. Thus, anyone, black, white or otherwise, calling me a "nigger", on the basis of my skin-color, gets a "no contestcheesy.gif" response from me, always.

My parents raised me, to be just that way in life. I honour, and thank them both (together with my In-Law parents), on a daily basis.wai.gif

Hence, Thais calling me a "farang", is (apparently) more of a human ignorance problem for them, instead. Cheerscoffee1.gif

No, not wrong.

There's a weird and complex dynamic governing the use of the word by other black people but there is no ambiguity over its use by non-blacks, especially whites.

I've seen white people come to serious grief - the kind that required EMT attendance - after saying it to the wrong black

I bet most of us had never even heard the word "farang" before we came to Thailand and most of us don't take any offence at its use.

In contrast, All of us heard the word "ni**er" before coming here and know just how offensive it is to black people yet some of us still try to make out "farang" is on a par with a word that has its roots in generations of oppression, cruelty and human suffering.

"Did you hear that? He called me farang while leading me to the best table in the restaurant"

LOL get real

"Many of my black friends call each other - 'niggah' an offshoot of the hard ending. They do it to take the sting of years of racism away. They would not get mad if I did it but as a white person I cannot bring myself to refer to a friend with a term that is actually offensive."

FYI ~ sir, there is a huge constituency of black people who take serious exception to being "labeled" in that manner, and especially by another black person. So, your so-called "black friends" are obviously products of the "Affirmative Action (EEOC) Campaign" debacle era of U.S. politics, spearheaded by the Judas goat, Rev. Jesse Jackson, vis-a-vis, the Rainbow Coalition. Duh!coffee1.gif

Ni**AH versus Ni**ER

Sounds the same to me

Can I say ni**AH without risking a blade in my eye?

What about ni**UH or ni**AW?

All a bit silly, isn't it?

Contrary to what the article says, "Farang Kiee Nok" isn't derived from "Bird S*** Caucasian", as actually it comes from a pun using the other meaning of Farang (Guava).

As there is a type of guava called Farang Kiee Nok, which looks like it'd be really nice to eat, but is full of tiny little seeds (And thus not actually as good as anticipated).

Thus the term Farang Kiee Nok more refers to the expectation that the Farang will be rich etc like most Farang, but in truth he's just like a normal Thai person.

Kiee does mean s*** but it's also used to transform a noun or similar into a negative characteristic. It's use is "kinda" like using "Jai" in front of a word but is a negative characteristic rather than the mostly positive ones that Jai implies.

Where did you get this information? Every Thai I know uses Kiee to describe excrement. Kiee Ma for example.

Kiee has multiple uses in Thai, it can be a noun:

e.g. kiee maa = dog s****

It can be a verb:

e.g. maa kiee = the dog is s****ing

It can also be part of a word:

e.g. Kiee ja muk means snot, or Kiee who is ear wax.

It can also describe personality traits:

e.g. Kiee neeow = someone who is tightfisted/cheap/stingy or Kiee gong = someone who is a cheat.

But coming back to Farang Kiee Nok, that actually translates to Bird S*** Guava when you change it into an English syntax.

From what I've been told, that's the name of a type of guava (My wife's grandmother used to have a tree of it). However, as the word for guava and the word for Caucasian is the same in Thai, people then used it as a bit of a joke for describing Caucasians who had a likeness to the tree (Look delicious from the outside, but full of seeds on the inside, and thus didn't meet their expectations). Kinda like if we called Chinese people Mandarins, but then saw a reallyyyyy big Chinese guy and then thought it'd be funny to call them an orange or tangelo instead, because those are like mandarins but bigger.

Does that make sense?

IT IS RACISM ...pure and simple ...Cracker or dare i even type Nigg**. Pak*, chin* whats the difference (as these are actually shortened country names)

thailand is a very racist country ask them what they think of Cambodians or Burmese to start with blink.png

Not only how they feel about Cambodians, they pronounce it like "Ka Men" (they stink) but about their own countrymen that are Muslim. I had a lady that worked next cubicle to a man for 25 years, he retired and I said "He's a lucky Thai, he has a pension to live on the rest of his life" she said Oh, He's not Thai, He's a Muslim" I thought that was pretty crass but the lady, his supervisor (very educated) went on to explain, anyone considered not 'Thai' is considered lower life. Like the Thai Indians, 3rd or 4th generation Thai's - are not considered Thai, but Indian - could you have guessed that about 30% of the taxi drivers are either Lao or Vietnamese?? They keep it quiet, even adopted Thai names, but the Thai's know who and what they are - always say "He is not Thai, They are foreigners," even though they have lived here 25-40 years. Farang?? for me depends on the Tone they use, if it is soft and drawn out, I take no offense, if sharp & loud "Fah Lung!!" I stick up my middle finger, they don't like that, I pull out my knife and start cleaning my fingernails ..............they get the idea.

Kiee has multiple uses in Thai, it can be a noun:

e.g. kiee maa = dog s****

It can be a verb:

e.g. maa kiee = the dog is s****ing

It can also be part of a word:

e.g. Kiee ja muk means snot, or Kiee who is ear wax.

It can also describe personality traits:

e.g. Kiee neeow = someone who is tightfisted/cheap/stingy or Kiee gong = someone who is a cheat.

But coming back to Farang Kiee Nok, that actually translates to Bird S*** Guava when you change it into an English syntax.

From what I've been told, that's the name of a type of guava (My wife's grandmother used to have a tree of it). However, as the word for guava and the word for Caucasian is the same in Thai, people then used it as a bit of a joke for describing Caucasians who had a likeness to the tree (Look delicious from the outside, but full of seeds on the inside, and thus didn't meet their expectations). Kinda like if we called Chinese people Mandarins, but then saw a reallyyyyy big Chinese guy and then thought it'd be funny to call them an orange or tangelo instead, because those are like mandarins but bigger.

Does that make sense?

What is mostly heard is "farang kee ngok" which means stingy. Thais even call one another this! This didn't mean bird shit.

"Farang kee nok" is never used to someone's face. It is used for people like dirty backpackers.

I lived in London for years. I didn't have a problem with referring to people by race if need be. "The black guy over there", "That asian lady", whatever. It's not racist to merely refer to someone's race, and it's ridiculous to say "The guy with the brown shoes and green shirt at the third table on the left" when they're the only black person in the room.

Wow. So many posts over a word that simply says the person is not Thai.

Thais who don't know me here refer to me as the farang. Thais who know me call me Khun ...... I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over it.

I don't object to being called an alien by most immigration authorities, although on my frequent visits to the USA I had to resist the temptation to ask if they considered Australians came from another planet. To most Americans, we probably do.

It's an easy identifier. Strikes me as another way for people to be offended for no good reason. That's the problem with the world. Everyone is overly offended by things that have no bearing on their life whatsoever.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. When Thais use the word "farang", today, it is not merely being used as an "identifier". Back in the day, to a large extent yes. But nowadays, in the grip of a state-encouraged xenophobic hysteria, it's almost entirely derogatory. Some things DO change over time. This is something that didn't change for the better.

If you don't take offense at it, 'water off a duck's back, 'words will never hurt you, 'why worry about what you can't change, blah-blah-blah, that's fine & bully for you. But you are in most cases being insulted, whether you want to acknowledge any awareness of the fact or not.

It's an easy identifier. Strikes me as another way for people to be offended for no good reason. That's the problem with the world. Everyone is overly offended by things that have no bearing on their life whatsoever.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. When Thais use the word "farang", today, it is not merely being used as an "identifier". Back in the day, to a large extent yes. But nowadays, in the grip of a state-encouraged xenophobic hysteria, it's almost entirely derogatory. Some things DO change over time. This is something that didn't change for the better.

If you don't take offense at it, 'water off a duck's back, 'words will never hurt you, 'why worry about what you can't change, blah-blah-blah, that's fine & bully for you. But you are in most cases being insulted, whether you want to acknowledge any awareness of the fact or not.

If someone refers to me using a word that doesn't bother me, how could it possibly be offensive? Who decides what is offensive and insulting? I'd say it is the person on the receiving end, which is me. Can't be insulted or offended by something that doesn't insult or offend you.

Again, there's bigger issues to worry about that actually affect my life. This aint one of them. And to reiterate, I think everyone being offended by something just because their told they should be offended by something, is part of what's wrong with the world. People need to get over themselves.

If someone refers to me using a word that doesn't bother me, how could it possibly be offensive? Who decides what is offensive and insulting? I'd say it is the person on the receiving end, which is me. Can't be insulted or offended by something that doesn't insult or offend you.

Again, there's bigger issues to worry about that actually affect my life. This aint one of them. And to reiterate, I think everyone being offended by something just because their told they should be offended by something, is part of what's wrong with the world. People need to get over themselves.

LOL!!!! So the offensive intent of the person insulting you is irrelevant?? You're being pedantic.

LOL!!!! So the offensive intent of the person insulting you is irrelevant?? You're being pedantic.

Not pedantic at all. Tell me who decides whether something is offensive. Where is this list? Again, even if someone says something to me that is intended to be offensive, but I don't find it offensive, is it really offensive? I'd say no it isn't. It can only be offensive if you're offended by it. Like I said, there's bigger things to worry about in daily life. This is a pimple on a gnat's azz in the scope of things.

People refer to me as a farang all the time. I refer to myself as a farang. No big deal here as far as I'm concerned.

Not pedantic at all. Tell me who decides whether something is offensive. Where is this list? Again, even if someone says something to me that is intended to be offensive, but I don't find it offensive, is it really offensive? I'd say no it isn't. It can only be offensive if you're offended by it. Like I said, there's bigger things to worry about in daily life. This is a pimple on a gnat's azz in the scope of things.

People refer to me as a farang all the time. I refer to myself as a farang. No big deal here as far as I'm concerned.

"I refer to myself as a farang."

Then you're being laughed at as well. Congratulations.

So if someone stands on a street corner yelling racial slurs at minority passers-by, and there's a riot, it's THEIR fault for being offended?? There's not a judge, in the U.S. anyway, and I expect most places, who'd agree with you. And if you do it on a street corner in Bangkok insulting the locals, I doubt any Thai judge will agree with you either. You'll get the slammer, a rubber room, or (if you're lucky) an "escorted" ride to the airport.

Yes, pedantic. No practical significance "at all" to what you're saying. It's all in your mind, which is in your head, which is buried in the sand.

So if someone stands on a street corner yelling racial slurs at minority passers-by, and there's a riot, it's THEIR fault for being offended?? There's not a judge, in the U.S. anyway, and I expect most places, who'd agree with you. And if you do it on a street corner in Bangkok insulting the locals, I doubt any Thai judge will agree with you either. You'll get the slammer, a rubber room, or (if you're lucky) an "escorted" ride to the airport.

Yes, pedantic. No practical significance "at all" to what you're saying. It's all in your mind, which is in your head, which is buried in the sand.

You seem like an angry person. It makes sense that simple words upset you.

I have lived in this village for 9 years. Most of the children I have known from birth and get smiles from them. Most of them know my name. Many refer to me as Dta Kit. (They can't say Keith)

Then, almost inevitably, there comes a day when the children see you and with a mischievous expression on their faces say the single word "Farang", sometimes following me and repeating "Farang" over and over. They obviously know that they are being naughty. There must be a reason for them to suddenly start doing this. Any ideas why?

A good reply is to say "sapprot" back (pineapple) As they are calling you a fruit, reply in the same way, you will get a laugh from them :)

Are you serious?

They must think you are a total idiot.

You seem like an angry person. It makes sense that simple words upset you.

Typical head-in-the-sand/I-know-all-about-you non-response. But I'm really not at all. I merely understand it for what it is, and while it doesn't upset me in the least, neither do I return any courtesies to, or do any further business with, rude people I know are insulting me. That's all. Except I might smile at them as I walk away. Sort of the same way I handle dimly presumptuous responses like yours actually.

I have lived in this village for 9 years. Most of the children I have known from birth and get smiles from them. Most of them know my name. Many refer to me as Dta Kit. (They can't say Keith)

Then, almost inevitably, there comes a day when the children see you and with a mischievous expression on their faces say the single word "Farang", sometimes following me and repeating "Farang" over and over. They obviously know that they are being naughty. There must be a reason for them to suddenly start doing this. Any ideas why?

A good reply is to say "sapprot" back (pineapple) As they are calling you a fruit, reply in the same way, you will get a laugh from them smile.png

Are you serious?

I am referring to children, and when i have said it the children have laughed. In fact any adult with them has laughed too.

If your understanding of the Thai language is so limited to not know they can and do find it amusing, then all fool you.

i wouldn't mind if there was consensus but it seems to me that there is deep division among us on whether the word is offensive or not

I don't think blacks are divided on whether or not the word "n***er" is offensive

Nor do I think Chinese are divided on whether or not the word "ch**k or "s**nt" is offensive

If you don't like being called farang, tell the offending individuals to stop; if they don't cease and desist, start punching people out, see how far that gets you laugh.png

Wrong, blacks are definitely divided on that issue. Here's my take on it: FYI ~ "Niggers" exist in all skin colors. As a Black American, I have absolutely no problem with calling a white, latino or Asian the "N" word, should they behave in an "oncouth" manner. Thus, anyone, black, white or otherwise, calling me a "nigger", on the basis of my skin-color, gets a "no contestcheesy.gif" response from me, always.

My parents raised me, to be just that way in life. I honour, and thank them both (together with my In-Law parents), on a daily basis.wai.gif

Hence, Thais calling me a "farang", is (apparently) more of a human ignorance problem for them, instead. Cheerscoffee1.gif

No, not wrong.

There's a weird and complex dynamic governing the use of the word by other black people but there is no ambiguity over its use by non-blacks, especially whites.

I've seen white people come to serious grief - the kind that required EMT attendance - after saying it to the wrong black

I bet most of us had never even heard the word "farang" before we came to Thailand and most of us don't take any offence at its use.

In contrast, All of us heard the word "ni**er" before coming here and know just how offensive it is to black people yet some of us still try to make out "farang" is on a par with a word that has its roots in generations of oppression, cruelty and human suffering.

"Did you hear that? He called me farang while leading me to the best table in the restaurant"

LOL get real

The debate topic platform has evolved into mixing apples with oranges.

Apparently your black American racial experience, is far more extensive than mine, my black parents, grandparents and great-grandparents, whistling.gifK!

The complex dynamic among blacks and the the use of the "N" word has absolutely nothing to do with white folks. That particular dynamic is deeply (African) rooted in the manner which blacks (self-destructively) regard each other.

Indeed, it was that particular "We Shall Overcome"(Civil Rights Movement) theme song, that MLK was mostly focus upon (Blacks overcoming themselves, instead). FYI~ (little known fact) MLK was personally opposed to social integration with white people, and w/ southern (genome-based) whites in particular. MLK was also a Rebublican (Libertarian), not a Democrat.

Now, back to the main topic thread. I don't dwell on the "farang" (alien) word issue, simply because, when one is dealing with a confoundingly ignorant (conglomeration of) people, openly opposing such a mentality is akin to spitting into the same wind, blowing against one's own face. An effort in total futility.

This "Farang Family" is here (in the LOS) to enjoy our retirement years, and not to re-educate a people, who obviously function on a totally different "cognitive" consciousness level.

Thus, the OP topic thread is really just another insignificant, revolving-door topic issue, providing an entertainment platform for us (bored, twig-wittling) "aliens" to The Kingdom, and of whom obviously come from some distant planet, other than the planet Earth (according to Thai wai2.gif people ).

Meanwhile, we're outta the LOS, until October. Adios everyone, and cheerscoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

It doesn't really matter as those who find being referred to as 'farang' inoffensive are quite happy, and those who believe it is used in a way that infers 'unimportant foreigner' are not going to be able to change anything.

Thailand will grow up in its own time and meanwhile we can only continue to mind or not mind when we are referred to that way.

Having said that, perhaps the people here with luk khreung children can at least tell their children that some Westerners find it offensive? Although they probably have their own problems being referred to as luk khreung!

If some farangs find the way the word is sometimes used offensive, then fair enough - and they're free to voice their objection to that. But to try and define the very word itself as an offensive one is simply nonsense.

To call someone a black bastard is offensive. To say all white people are stupid is offensive. To say all Asians are dishonest is offensive. But still, the mere words 'black', 'white' and 'Asian' remain neutral.

A good reply is to say "sapprot" back (pineapple) As they are calling you a fruit, reply in the same way, you will get a laugh from them smile.png

Are you serious?

I am referring to children, and when i have said it the children have laughed. In fact any adult with them has laughed too.

If your understanding of the Thai language is so limited to not know they can and do find it amusing, then all fool you.

Having lived here most of my life,I speak fluent Thai.

Do you just give this one word reply?

There are idioms with pine Apple that might be a clever response but you won't know them.

Dirty but they are laughing AT you.

Ever noticed how they never say khon fArang? They day khon jeen or khon yeepoon etc but always say farang mun when talking about a group of foreigners.

Ask a Thai who you can trust. ALL Thais say this, for example farang mun chawp ap daet. Foreigners IT likes Sun bathing.

If you don't believe this up to you. I have lived here 30 years btw.Thais racism is heard through their language. Many times I've heard things when they thought I couldn't hear or understand.

If some farangs find the way the word is sometimes used offensive, then fair enough - and they're free to voice their objection to that. But to try and define the very word itself as an offensive one is simply nonsense.

To call someone a black bastard is offensive. To say all white people are stupid is offensive. To say all Asians are dishonest is offensive. But still, the mere words 'black', 'white' and 'Asian' remain neutral.

And I'm happy that you're happy that 'farang' is a word that should be bandied about happily by all Thais, without any thought that this might indicate an 'us and them' mentality etc.

Its one of those things, some of us try to be careful not to cause offense - others think that's overly PC and we shouldn't be worried about causing offence.

In reality, we are called 'farangs' because its easy and slightly derogatory - hence the poster who thinks he has respect in the village, and wonders why the children follow him around shouting 'farang, farang'....

I have often heard people say "Kwai!" which means Buffalo.

Because they think buffalo are stupid, they use "Kwai!" when calling somebody stupid.

How do they call someone "Really Stupid!" ?

"Kwai Farang!"

Says it all really.

Of course there's an 'us and them' mentality. Are you really naive enough to believe it could be any other way?

Some farangs waste time tying themselves in knots over whether the locals like or respect them. Life's too short.

Sawan Chan 7

In reply to: Having lived here most of my life,I speak fluent Thai.

Do you just give this one word reply?
There are idioms with pine Apple that might be a clever response but you won't know them.
Dirty but they are laughing AT you.

Ever noticed how they never say khon fArang? They day khon jeen or khon yeepoon etc but always say farang mun when talking about a group of foreigners.
Ask a Thai who you can trust. ALL Thais say this, for example farang mun chawp ap daet. Foreigners IT likes Sun bathing.

If you don't believe this up to you. I have lived here 30 years btw.Thais racism is heard through their language. Many times I've heard things when they thought I couldn't hear or understand.

You speak fluent Thai and have never heard that expression?

Does that make me wrong to try and joke with the Thai children rather than be angry, upset or any other emotion you can think of?

Actually i can't remember off hand when i last needed to use it.

All the children i have contact with, although i admit not a large amount, call me, Khun Chris คุณคริส or lung Chris ลุงคริส

What they call a group of foreigners was never my point, i was talking about a joking reply to children.

I won't understand idioms about pine apple, well no, not if i am never taught them.

I can tell you have lived a long time, the use of "up to you" in your last sentence was the give away.

But also i know the length of time living here, or anywhere, does not always make a person more knowledgeable.