Democrat party rejects Thai referendum question

webfact

Democrat party rejects referendum question

1004003-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat party has announced the rejection of the draft constitution and the question for voters to answer during the referendum whether they want senators to select a prime minister or not.

The party made known its political stance toward the Constitution Drafting Committee’s draft charter at a press conference held at the party’s head office on Sunday. The event was chaired by party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and two deputy leaders, Jurin Laksanavisit and Ong-art Klampaibul.

Mr Abhisit said although the party is unable to hold a meeting of its members, the party executives had collected the opinions of its members most of whom felt that there are more demerits in the draft charter than its merits.

He said that the party did not oppose the draft in its entirety but would not accept it either because of several political factors. First of all, he said he would like to know if the draft is rejected in the referendum is there any guarantee that the new charter to replace the rejected one will be better.

He pointed out that the draft charter has weakened the public’s right of participation in decision-making process which tends to lead to more conflicts over development projects.

Party members, said Mr Abhisit, are concerned that some political elements would make use of the referendum for political purpose by demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha in case the draft charter fails in the referendum.

The party rejects the question for voters in the referendum whether they want senators to select a prime minister or not on the ground that this is undemocratic and will go against the will of the voters in the election, said Mr Abhisit.

The Democrat party has demanded the Election Commission to show its courage by taking a stand on whether all the restrictions imposed by the military junta in the run-up to the referendum are undemocratic or not.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158968

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-11

The Democrat party has announced the rejection of the draft constitution and the question for voters to answer during the referendum whether they want senators to select a prime minister or not.

So if not, what is the alternative?

"The country doesn't need to choose between dictatorship and corruption" Abhisit

This is the very first time I have had any respect for Abhisit but, on this occasion, credit where credit is due he has actually spoken up and long may it continue. Now let him condemn the detention camps, lack of press freedom and encourage free debate.

"The country doesn't need to choose between dictatorship and corruption" Abhisit

This is the very first time I have had any respect for Abhisit but, on this occasion, credit where credit is due he has actually spoken up and long may it continue. Now let him condemn the detention camps, lack of press freedom and encourage free debate.

Agree 100 %. I have always regarded him as a somewhat spinless tool who is pretty clueless about what's going on in Thailand outside of Bangkok. He is, of course, absolutely correct in his statements and I wonder if the cantankerous one will ship him off to the south for some much needed attitude adjustment.

The old elite is starting to turn on each other and it's beautiful to watch!

The Democrat party has demanded the Election Commission to show its courage

So says the man who directed the Army fire on unarned protesters, bystanders and journalists in the 2010 protests against his government.

So says the man who applauded the PDRC blockade of voting polls.

So says the man who couldn't work as a responsible MP within the framework of the 2007 Constitution.

If Abhisit had courage he wouldn't be constrained by the NCPO restrictions on freedom of expression.

But he knows better not to "bite the hand that feeds him."

And so does the EC. wai2.gif

For aspects of safety this Army gov has been no better or worse than an elected gov. Bombs and killings in the south continue and other safety aspects continue to cause problems. So on those issues I would agree it is negative. However, the right to cause street conflicts has been suppressed and they may be a positive. Corruption? It's one of oldest games handed down from antiquity and I don't think any country can totally eliminate it. With Thailand's history changing constitutions, imho, is not the answer but education and the teaching that life is precious, is a good step forward. As it stands at present whether it's a 'yes' or 'no' it will cause problems but Thais have to decide what type of problems they want.

First of all, he said he would like to know if the draft is rejected in the referendum is there any guarantee that the new charter to replace the rejected one will be better.

Of course, the better charters are kept in reserve, while the moronic ones are tried out fist.

Agree 100 %. I have always regarded him as a somewhat spinless tool who is pretty clueless about what's going on in Thailand outside of Bangkok. He is, of course, absolutely correct in his statements and I wonder if the cantankerous one will ship him off to the south for some much needed attitude adjustment.

The smart money suggests that Abhisit will, having made his objections, cobble up some compromise with the Junta's stooges.He knows he is unelectable in a fair election but believes he could conceivably return to power when the odds are rigged.

actually if the dems, thaksin, reds and ptp dont like it maybe there is something good in there that will stop all of them from doing all their crap as per usual, interesting.

Yes, because the current bunch at the trough are not doing any crap at all, are they?

They're just concerned about the future of Thailand and the well being of Thais! Case in point is how they graciously removed the population's bothersome right to vote, free speach and assembly.

Heroes the lot of them!!

actually if the dems, thaksin, reds and ptp dont like it maybe there is something good in there that will stop all of them from doing all their crap as per usual, interesting.

It's obviously an idiotic comment but there is one grain of truth in it, namely there will certainly be some good aspects to the Junta's constitution.These good aspects, though in most peoples view outweighed by the bad, will allow the Democrats to argue after having obtained some footling concessions that overall the constitution should be approved in the referendum.

I doubt whether many people will be fooled.

The Democrat Party is the deep state's "legitimate" political wing, a tool of the right wing powers behind the scenes. There's no possibility that Abhisit doesn't understand that or is trying to break away, therefore this is just window-dressing to give the appearance of debate and checks-and-balances to the process of fiddling with the consitution so they can (and they will) eventually slip into government unimpeded. It's all part of the script.

The Democrat Party is the deep state's "legitimate" political wing, a tool of the right wing powers behind the scenes. There's no possibility that Abhisit doesn't understand that or is trying to break away, therefore this is just window-dressing to give the appearance of debate and checks-and-balances to the process of fiddling with the consitution so they can (and they will) eventually slip into government unimpeded. It's all part of the script.

Actually I think there is an element of tragedy in Abhisit's position.He has compromised himself too much despite his many talents.He is also a decent man.Unlike the feral Suthep and the gormless generals who seized power he actually knows what is right and wrong - yet chose the dishonourable course.

Korn is the subject of much speculation now though he too flirted with the PDRC.Yet he has been very careful since the coup not to give any encouragement to the crazies.Cleverer than AV in this respect.It will be interesting to see how Korn responds in the coming months.

Actually I think there is an element of tragedy in Abhisit's position.He has compromised himself too much despite his many talents.He is also a decent man.Unlike the feral Suthep and the gormless generals who seized power he actually knows what is right and wrong - yet chose the dishonourable course.

Korn is the subject of much speculation now though he too flirted with the PDRC.Yet he has been very careful since the coup not to give any encouragement to the crazies.Cleverer than AV in this respect.It will be interesting to see how Korn responds in the coming months.

Yes Abhisit is a decent man i think in the same way as Chamberlin was. He is a pitiful creature because he want's to be 'good' yet he is the elite's political arm with all the restraints that brings. I give him credit for standing up today and, actually using the word, dictatorship and all the obvious recognition that brings. A brave or foolish move? not sure but well said and an "Emperor's Got No Clothes" moment.

Is it time for Abhisit to find he has balls? probably not but there is the slightest glimmer of hope let's wait and see what the Good General's reaction is but I'm guessing he's not a happy bunny this morning

Respect is still a very long ways off for me.

The guy is a spineless dolt - always has been, always will be....

To be fair to him I believe he publicly disagreed with the previous coup and the draft 2007 constitution. They only accepted it as rejection meant the military would choose it's own charter. Whether that was a good move is debatable but certainly be never seemed to just support the military whatever they do.

I would imagine he sees the army as a disaster for him and the Democrats. Every time they stage a coup and take power it's suggested that the Democrats want it because they can't win elections but want power. If they wanted that they would have a better chance offering more than Thaksin's party. I assume they don't because it's not sustainable.

The army's actions during the 2010 demonstrations didn't help him either. He was blamed for ordering soldiers to shoot protestors which he clearly didn't. The PTP refused to consider the army's part in it so they seemed to support the military themselves even after they vowed to seek justice. Even Robert Amsterdam's expert witness said the army weren't following their orders.

He and the Democrats were making good attempts at challenging the PTP government in parliament particularly over the rice scheme.

I noticed in the months leading to the coup that several places near me in Isaan were no longer displaying the Thaksin calendars as they had been.

The coup, or more accurately the conduct of the military authorities since the coup will have done damage to his reputation and possibly pushed many people back towards Thaksin and his main quest for an amnesty instead of the more moderate members of the PTP and Democrats who might have a chance of taking the country forward.

First of all, he said he would like to know if the draft is rejected in the referendum is there any guarantee that the new charter to replace the rejected one will be better.

Of course, the better charters are kept in reserve, while the moronic ones are tried out fist.

There might be some truth in that. Propose something more than you want, that you assume will be rejected then fall back to the more reasonable plans you had in mind. It's a typical negotiating procedure. Not sure the army is that subtle though.

Edited by kimamey

So says the man who directed the Army fire on unarned protesters, bystanders and journalists in the 2010 protests against his government.

So says the man who couldn't work as a responsible MP within the framework of the 2007 Constitution.

If Abhisit had courage he wouldn't be constrained by the NCPO restrictions on freedom of expression.

In fairness, I suspect the decision to open fire in the 2010 protests was not referred to Abhisit. He may have been Prime Minister, but I doubt if the military consulted him, or would have taken a blind bit of notice of him.

Post of the day!

Now everyone disagrees! More reform and debate is just what the junta ordered. Referendum worries are over for all. Back to the drawing board, elections delayed until agreement on the constitution. A happy day for junta land. Give us a smile Prawit.

To be fair to him I believe he publicly disagreed with the previous coup and the draft 2007 constitution. They only accepted it as rejection meant the military would choose it's own charter. Whether that was a good move is debatable but certainly be never seemed to just support the military whatever they do.

I would imagine he sees the army as a disaster for him and the Democrats. Every time they stage a coup and take power it's suggested that the Democrats want it because they can't win elections but want power. If they wanted that they would have a better chance offering more than Thaksin's party. I assume they don't because it's not sustainable.

The army's actions during the 2010 demonstrations didn't help him either. He was blamed for ordering soldiers to shoot protestors which he clearly didn't. The PTP refused to consider the army's part in it so they seemed to support the military themselves even after they vowed to seek justice. Even Robert Amsterdam's expert witness said the army weren't following their orders.

He and the Democrats were making good attempts at challenging the PTP government in parliament particularly over the rice scheme.

I noticed in the months leading to the coup that several places near me in Isaan were no longer displaying the Thaksin calendars as they had been.

The coup, or more accurately the conduct of the military authorities since the coup will have done damage to his reputation and possibly pushed many people back towards Thaksin and his main quest for an amnesty instead of the more moderate members of the PTP and Democrats who might have a chance of taking the country forward.

Hardly surprising the people are being pushed back towards Thaksin with this fellow and his army mates as the alternative.

In fairness, I suspect the decision to open fire in the 2010 protests was not referred to Abhisit. He may have been Prime Minister, but I doubt if the military consulted him, or would have taken a blind bit of notice of him.

That may be true but his silence was deafening which is why I'm surprised he acknowledged, by his use of the 'D' word, the reality that is now upon Thailand

Yes Abhisit is a decent man i think in the same way as Chamberlin was. He is a pitiful creature because he want's to be 'good' yet he is the elite's political arm with all the restraints that brings. I give him credit for standing up today and, actually using the word, dictatorship and all the obvious recognition that brings. A brave or foolish move? not sure but well said and an "Emperor's Got No Clothes" moment.

Is it time for Abhisit to find he has balls? probably not but there is the slightest glimmer of hope let's wait and see what the Good General's reaction is but I'm guessing he's not a happy bunny this morning

Abhisit has, unfortunately for himself, and for the democratic process here, found himself "hoist with his own petard"