Star Apple.Anyone know the name in Thai?

Building up my orchard of tropical fruits and now am searching for a fruit I saw in northern Issarn many years ago.Locally it was known as a Nam Nom.

It is botanically Chrysophyllum Cainito a native of the West Indies but is grown throughout SE Asia.Just not in my area which is a a major fruit tree production area. When asked the dealers and producers have never heard of it as Nam Nom and even pictures don't seem to help.Anyone able to help with another name in Thai or indeed a source of a tree?

post-2215-0-67599000-1460340461_thumb.pn

I just had a look at Thai Google they say Look-Nam -Nom, Look being the classifying noun for fruit , Nam- Nom only ,means raw milk ,or breast milk .

Go in to Thai Google ,type in star apple ,they is a Wikipedia ,plus others on star apple ,in Thai print it off ,in Thai, then ask around again.

Ma-prang is Mariam Plum which looks like a small mango and has a bright yellowish orange color. Star fruit and star apple are 2 different things. I have start fruit and maprang on my farm, but have never come across the other. I will ask around about star apple.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, in Thai it's ลูกน้ำนม look nam nom try this one http://www.nanagarden.com/tag/ลูกน้ำนม

It says: มีจำหน่ายผล ต้น เมล็ดพันธุ์แล้ว พันธุ์แท้ มีสีเขียว และสีแดง ติดต่อ คุณตั๊บ. 086-8427872 หรือ [email protected]

We sell fruits, trees, seedlings real variety, available in green and red contact Khun Tab 086-8427872 or [email protected]

I forgot to add: ราคา 50.00 บาท price 50THB...

Edited by geuda

I prefer the English name milk fruit. Using the name star apple confuses some people (like lemonjelly and Patrick) with star fruit. The fruits in the posted photo seem small and do not properly show the white flesh normally found inside the fruit. The trees can grow much larger than most fruit trees, similar to some large mango trees. They are easily identified by the red coloured underside of the leaves (not shown in the photo).

I have a big purple starapple tree since a year or so but it still never bloomed. It's around 2 metre tall.

I had another one to give away but i culled it to use the pot it was in.

At the moment i do have a seedling abiu for trade, a similar fruit from Brasil. Will trade it only for another brasilian fruittree which i don't have yet.

Edited by fruitman

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...