Experience with accidents in LOS?

Swelters

I am writing a book on the currently hot topic of hazards and health problems for expats living in Asia and would be most appreciative of any help on accident statistics for foreigners living in Thailand.

My current set of 3 questions is this (I've inserted my own personal answers)

1. Approximately how many expats have you known fairly well (say by name, or knowledge of personal history) in Thailand over the past five years?

about 20

2. How many of these have had significant accidents (not health issues like heart attacks or stroke) requiring hospital stays?

3. Details?

1 domestic slip and fall with 500,000 THB shoulder surgery

1 domestic slip and fall with head injury and death

1 sidewalk trip and fall with 200,000 arm surgery

1 sidewalk fall (drunk) with emergency room visit

Stats like this, beyond comments from friendly docs at hospitals, are hard to find. I believe the UK Embassy tracks some things such as citizen deaths, but haven't found this yet. I'm hoping this kind of info will be helpful to expats thinking about matters like insurance. I suspect that accidents are more frequent and serious here than in various home countries, but no proof of this.

Thanks much for any help on this.

Swelters

1. Approximately how many expats have you known fairly well (say by name, or knowledge of personal history) in Thailand over the past five years?

- Numerous - Est: 100+ (about 10 of which I'd call very close friends)

2. How many of these have had significant accidents (not health issues like heart attacks or stroke) requiring hospital stays?

3. Details?

None of my friends have had Major incidents / accidents requiring a hospital stay.

- I recall a few minor stories - 1 Motorcycle accident (not sure of costs).

- One friend was punched in the face by a taxi driver (no medical costs)

How many ex-pats in 5 years .. maybe 25, good friends 6.

Significant accidents 1.. me motorbike

Shattered spine/severed spinal cord/ punctured lung/ 4 broken ribs/broken hip/pelvis/ femur.

Cost more than 3 million baht.

So that's why your a cranky old bugger. Anyway I would say 60 people by name and only 2 scooter crashes my friend badly grazed his foot and let it go septic.about 15,000 in cheap hospital and myself.broken ankles,vertebrae,ribs,finger and front teeth.total was about 350,000 but I was only in a week and got back to my bungalow by ambulance and stretcher and a nice lady nursed me back to health else I would of been in bkk Phuket hospital for about six weeks and the bill would of been 1m baht.ive also been in Icu with fungal lung pneumonia 250,000 b and twice for heart stents 300,000b.im just a miserable old bugger.