Illegal tour guides still here, says Andaman Guide Association President

webfact

Illegal tour guides still here, says Andaman Guide Association President
Darawan Naknakhon

1460348978_1-org.jpg
Around 100 Thai tour guides gathered to protest at provincial Hall this morning (Apr 11). Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: -- The president of the Andaman Guide Association led more than 100 Thai tour guides from the Andaman region to gather at Provincial Hall this morning (Apr 11) to hand over a letter of complaint to Phuket Governor, Chamroen Tipayapongtada about illegal tour guides in the region.

President of the Andaman Guide Association Mr Krich Thembumrung explained that the letter of complaint alleges that foreign guides are not a new problem to the area and that they are all employed by companies operated by foreigners who claim Thailand does not have enough tour guides, and that the Thai tour guides there are do not speak foreign languages proficiently enough to serve their tours.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/illegal-tour-guides-still-here-says-andaman-guide-association-president-56979.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-11

With the large influx of Chinese tourists it is highly unlikely that there are enough tour guides in Thailand proficient in Chinese. I say give them work permits so they are no longer illegal; this issue should be revisited every year but I doubt much will change.

All the signs in only Thai might support they are not fluent in other languages.

Sure they are complaining to the Thai government but a little creatiing proof they are professional in more than one lamguage might have helped their cause.

Again!

The Thai guides are onto a loser here: no Chinese guides would mean fewer Chinese tourists which would mean the Thai sitting guides would also be out of work. It's also not in the Government's interest to upset the Chinese as they are the most important tourists these days. If they wanted to the police could pitch up at several major hotels at 8 in the morning and arrest a dozen Chinese guides but it's not in anyone's best interests to do so, apart from a hundred or so protesting Thai guides.

Andaman tour guides rally against illegal foreign workers
Phuket Gazette

an.jpeg
Andaman Guide Association chief Krich Thepbamrung (center) hands a letter to Phuket Vice Governor Prajiad Aksornthammakul. Photo: Phuket PR

PHUKET: -- About a hundred Thai tour guides from the Andaman Guide Association gathered at Phuket Provincial Hall on Monday to protest against foreigners ‛stealing their jobs’.

The group, led by Andaman Guide Association head Krich Thepbamrung, submitted a letter outlining their demands to Phuket Vice Governor Prajiad Aksornthammakul.

“We urge the government to preserve these jobs, which are strictly reserved for Thais under the 2008 Tourism Business and Tour Guide Act. We have made several complaints in the past, but no action has been taken,” said Mr Krich.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Andaman-tour-guides-rally-against-illegal-foreign/63666?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-13

They are right in that foreign tour guides are employed because few Thai tour guides can speak the tourist language well enough to be understood by the tourists!

Strangely, tourists prefer a tour guide they can understand....

But what is there to talk about. A trip to the Andaman is just that, really no historic points to explain. When i went about 8 years ago, nothing needed explaining to me , and the group was completely mixed nationals. Have to agree here, they are taking Thai jobs. coffee1.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

And I rally against all the illegal taxis and tuk tuks with their rip off fares, parked in fron of my condo building in Phuket.

Does anyone listen to that ? No ! So w.t.f. shall listen to this rubbish ?

Go learn a skill set and then go make a living. The dumb of the dumbest. The only thing you despite to be is a your guide and they are not worth a sh t at that.Many just learn how to rip their customers off on shopping. The best solution is to have Russians or Chinese be the guides or Thais if they can speak the tour groups language

Go learn a skill set and then go make a living. The dumb of the dumbest. The only thing you aspire to be is a tour guide and they are not worth a sh t at that.Many just learn how to rip their customers off on shopping. The best solution is to have Russians or Chinese be the guides or Thais if they can speak the tour groups language

Tour companies often have a Thai tour guide that sits and does nothing but accompany

the tourists and foreign guide around. The issue is not about employment. In reality it is

all about the kickbacks from Gem shops, shopping stops and any other kick back

opportunities. These now go to the foreign tour company. whistling.gif

Why don't they do something about the prices for taxis in Phuket. They rip off every tourist with prices 3x as much as Bangkok. None of them use the meter, they are all in it together. They are worried about the tour guides, how about worrying about the tourists.

Tour companies often have a Thai tour guide that sits and does nothing but accompany

the tourists and foreign guide around. The issue is not about employment. In reality it is

all about the kickbacks from Gem shops, shopping stops and any other kick back

opportunities. These now go to the foreign tour company. whistling.gif

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The majority of tour guide positions in the Andaman are on boat trips for snorkeling. Chinese and Russian guides are employed by companies that cater specifically to those groups. There's obviously some of the commission hunting that goes on, especially in Bangkok, but it's not a major source of income for most guides. There are many guides who don't do it at all unless a customer specifically asks for something like an expensive suit or porcelain vase -- in that case they have a right to take a reasonable commission for bringing in the business. (My partner owns a tour company in Bangkok and I'm friends with owners of five other tour companies, plus a bunch of freelance guides and travel agents in the Andaman, so I have some idea what I'm talking about.)

If the foreign guides are working illegally they should be stopped. That's what you would say if someone was working illegally in your own country, no? Bit of a no brainer really...........:)

Plenty of people working illegally in my country and plenty of other countries and quite frankly, I don't give a shit. It's alot different when a country such as Thailand has very strict regulations for allowing foreigners to work in Thailand as opposed to whoever is best qualified for the job.

Tour operator is one of those jobs which a foreigner is not permitted to do in Thailand.

Doesn't matter if they are unqualified and someone from a different country is more qualified.

It's a ridiculous concept actually, quite like your post.

Edited by Rayk

If the foreign guides are working illegally they should be stopped. That's what you would say if someone was working illegally in your own country, no? Bit of a no brainer really...........smile.png

Plenty of people working illegally in my country and plenty of other countries and quite frankly, I don't give a shit. It's alot different when a country such as Thailand has very strict regulations for allowing foreigners to work in Thailand as opposed to whoever is best qualified for the job.

Tour operator is one of those jobs which a foreigner is not permitted to do in Thailand.

Doesn't matter if they are unqualified and someone from a different country is more qualified.

You can be a tour operator , only you can not be a guide !

Thai guides have to finish university to get their licence so they are not the dumbest ( Thai smart ).

Only sometime they just don't understand you, just like my wife.

Most of them are also fluent in English or another language

Edited by terminatorchiangmai

If the foreign guides are working illegally they should be stopped. That's what you would say if someone was working illegally in your own country, no? Bit of a no brainer really...........smile.png

For somene that doesn't 'give a sh*t' about illegal workers in your own country, you're getting terribly worked up about defending the rights of illegal workers here........:)