When Does The 90 Day Count Start?

My mate at work asked me a interesting question that i could not answer, and here it is:

Does the 90 day count in 180 day period new visa exempt rule start on October 1, regardless of when your last visa exempt entry into Thailand was, or does it start count after your first visa exempt entry into thailand after October 1?

He did a visa run on Sept 30, and he thinks that his 90 days count on visa exempt days will not count untill his first visa exempt entry after October 1, which for him will be around Oct 28. ( thats why he did a visa run on sept 30, to try and get an extra month )

I told him im pretty sure, after october 1, if you in already on a visa exempt stamp, the count still begins........................can anyone confirm this?

...can anyone confirm this?

Do you realise that you are asking for the impossible?

Until January, everything is hypothetical, guesswork, supposition, assumption. Somebody must have stayed in Thailand on visa-exempt entries after 1 October before he can give you confirmation.

But your question is very interesting. You may have seen reports here about visa-exempt entry stamps being specially marked in passports since 1 October. This tends to support the theory that only the days in Thailand based on entry stamps from 1 October onward are counted.

---------------

Maestro

Rest assured , only entries AFTER 1.10.06 will be counted and only if you come/stay with the 30day visa exempt stamp.

It's max 90days(3x30) stay on visa exempt in every/any 180 day period.

How they really count/controll only time will tell.

i'm one of the people who fall into this category. i just made a visa run to the cambodian border last week. indeed, my stamp was marked with a green felt tip pen (1). i had read in some pattaya newspaper that the 90 days would begin on your first re-entry after october 1st, this would seem to support this, but like everyone else says, who the hel_l knows, it's impossible to be sure.

We do know that they are only marking entry visas AFTER 1st Oct. with green/notes so that COULD indicate that only those entry stamps (days) will be counted. We will see. Cheers!

Actually - yes Firefan (thou with the passionate neck-kissing avatar) - from 1 Oct, let us count a total of 90 accumulative neck-kissing days in the kingdom!

Cheers!

:o

My mate at work asked me a interesting question that i could not answer, and here it is:

Does the 90 day count in 180 day period new visa exempt rule start on October 1, regardless of when your last visa exempt entry into Thailand was, or does it start count after your first visa exempt entry into thailand after October 1?

He did a visa run on Sept 30, and he thinks that his 90 days count on visa exempt days will not count untill his first visa exempt entry after October 1, which for him will be around Oct 28. ( thats why he did a visa run on sept 30, to try and get an extra month )

I told him im pretty sure, after october 1, if you in already on a visa exempt stamp, the count still begins........................can anyone confirm this?

My mate at work....... He did a visa run on Sept 30, :D and he thinks that his 90 days count on visa exempt days will not count untill his first visa exempt entry after October 1

It's max 90days(3x30) stay on visa exempt in every/any 180 day period

So on day 90, you leave, go to neighboring country, get a tourist visa for 2 months, and come back on day 92 (for example), you will be allowed in to stay until day 152 (60 days)???

So on day 90, you leave, go to neighboring country, get a tourist visa for 2 months, and come back on day 92 (for example), you will be allowed in to stay until day 152 (60 days)???

This is the current thinking, yes. How many times you will be permitted to do this, either by the entry chaps or by local consulates handing out visas, along with how many entries will be permitted per visa, only time will tell.

What most people havent thought about yet is that 90 days from Oct 1 will take you up untill the End of December ( christmas and new year holidays ) So there will be quite afew people planning trips to embassies around that time because they will have no other option ( their 90 days is up and the do not qualify for an extension so its off to an embassy to get a tourist visa )

But if the count started on Oct 1, everyone who has stayed here for 90 days straight will have to leave at the end of December, but have they considered Christmas and New year? These are holidays, and im sure most embassies will be closing for quite afew days at that time. Immagine how funny ( or sad ) it will be for those who decide to get their tourist visa at that time to only find out the embassies are closed, and when they open again there will be thousands of people waiting there. They wont be able to go into thailand because their 90 days is up, so they're stuck untill they get a visa.......................

Yes, there are deffinently interesting times ahead. It makes me think that immigration planned this keeping in mind about christmas / new year holiday period. And yes, the embassies will be packed, I was in Singapore last wednesday after it re-opened being closed on monday and tuesday ( holidays ) and it was not a plesant experience, I cant immagine what it will be like after the new year!

Better plan you trips to the embassy during the middle of dec........

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Here’s what happened on my passport:

Departed Thailand –Panang Bazar 30th September – re-enter 30th September. Receive a 30 day Voa with an exit date stamped for 29th October. No muss or fuss nor green ink etc.

Departed Thailand 29th October - Khuan Don (Satun) – re-enter 29th October.

A change occurred. Receiving my passport I saw that there was attached a 2” x 2.5” white paper with two columns, the left for arrivals and the right for departures.

The left column is stamped 29th October, the right column is empty. There is a handwritten ‘1’ next to the date.

The way I read this, my execution will be approximately 3 months beginning October 29th and counting.

BR

This is very interesting and the first ive heard of this colum form in the passport...............

Could you scan or take a pic of it and up-load it so we can all see?

This would solve immigrations headache of having to look for and add up att the dates on the stamps. By using this system, all the dates would be stamped in the same place. Once again, thanks for letting us know this and if possible, could you scan it into this topic so we can all be aware of this?

What most people havent thought about yet is that 90 days from Oct 1 will take you up untill the End of December ( christmas and new year holidays ) So there will be quite afew people planning trips to embassies around that time because they will have no other option ( their 90 days is up and the do not qualify for an extension so its off to an embassy to get a tourist visa )

But if the count started on Oct 1, everyone who has stayed here for 90 days straight will have to leave at the end of December, but have they considered Christmas and New year? These are holidays, and im sure most embassies will be closing for quite afew days at that time. Immagine how funny ( or sad ) it will be for those who decide to get their tourist visa at that time to only find out the embassies are closed, and when they open again there will be thousands of people waiting there. They wont be able to go into thailand because their 90 days is up, so they're stuck untill they get a visa.......................

Yes, there are deffinently interesting times ahead. It makes me think that immigration planned this keeping in mind about christmas / new year holiday period. And yes, the embassies will be packed, I was in Singapore last wednesday after it re-opened being closed on monday and tuesday ( holidays ) and it was not a plesant experience, I cant immagine what it will be like after the new year!

Better plan you trips to the embassy during the middle of dec........

this is a very astute observation, despite perhaps record numbers of arrivals/departures during the christmas/new years period, for most folks, their 90 days will be coming to an end. i can only imagine the situation at embassies in neighboring countries. aahhhh, stress-free holiday

What if that paper "falls out"? :o

Cheers!

This is very interesting and the first ive heard of this colum form in the passport...............

This would solve immigrations headache of having to look for and add up att the dates on the stamps. By using this system, all the dates would be stamped in the same place. Once again, thanks for letting us know this and if possible, could you scan it into this topic so we can all be aware of this?

I will scan my passport saturday 5/11 and post the image here as you requested.

BR

Thanks.

One of my friends who got back yesterday from poi pet did not even get a green mark on his VOA.

It seems like the immigration officers are doing different things on different days in different places. Which makes me to believe that this new rule might be scrapped as the immigration officers themselves dont know what they are doing ( i mean their passport markings are very inconsistent based on stories )

Thanks.

One of my friends who got back yesterday from poi pet did not even get a green mark on his VOA.

It seems like the immigration officers are doing different things on different days in different places. Which makes me to believe that this new rule might be scrapped as the immigration officers themselves dont know what they are doing ( i mean their passport markings are very inconsistent based on stories )

i heard a rumor from someone who works in bangkok, whose thai wife has a friend, who knows someone in immigration, blah,blah,blah that there may be some upcoming changes in the law announced this month. you may well be right, the inconsistency is mildly annoying though.

funny, first time through read the bottom of it as "Notice: Please keep this from your passport." and thought ok.. I'd tear it out, throw it away and thus that would "keep it from my passport."

a second read pointed out the misspelling of "form."

Indeed it sounds like different places are handling things in different manners. It would seem the land borders are using the "green ink with numbers" method or the "checked out library book tally sheet" method, while people entering via the airport aren't getting either such notational methods.

*edit*

btw, thanks to BronzeRider for posting the scan. Excellent job of sharing information.

Edited by sriracha john

funny, first time through read the bottom of it as "Notice: Please keep this from your passport." and thought ok.. I'd tear it out, throw it away and thusl "keep it from passport."

I'm sure that the Thai authorities can make trouble for somebody if the from (sic) is "accidently" lost while one is in Thailand. But what if one goes to Singapore for the weekend (or whatever). Do the Thai immigrations officials actually expect that somebody will retain their precious from while that person is abroad? :o

I'm sure that the Thai authorities can make trouble for somebody if the from (sic) is "accidently" lost while one is in Thailand.

With the technology, respectively the lack thereof, being used I don’t see how the immigration posts would know which passport got that form at an earlier date. From reports so far, not everybody entering without a visa gets the form.

It looks like immigration is making things up as they go along. Well, the rule of maximum 90 days visa-exempt stay within six months is there and probably the adherence to it will be checked randomly. The deterrent effect, at least, is there.

--------------

Maestro

It looks like immigration is making things up as they go along. Well, the rule of maximum 90 days visa-exempt stay within six months is there and probably the adherence to it will be checked randomly. The deterrent effect, at least, is there.

Indeed. Even if all the powers-that-be were looking to accomplish was to stir the pot in regards visa-less long-term stays, I'd say that their campaign thus far has been an unqualified success. :o