Thai police officer who shot dead dog turns himself in to apologize

webfact

Officer who shot dead a dog turns himself in to apologize

image-4-wpcf_728x409.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The police officer who drew flaks from netizens for shooting dead a dog and injuring another turned himself in to his boss today (Monday) and admitted that he did shoot the dogs out of a fit of anger for biting his wife and kids.

The shooting took place at a police apartment on Vibhavadi Rangsit highway on the night of April 8. The wounded dog was rushed to a veterinarian by a Por Teck Toeng rescue team.

The alleged culprit, Pol Maj Wasawat Sukthai, an inspector for research and assessment attached to the police strategic office, turned himself in to Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen, the deputy national chief, on Monday morning.
After his confession to shooting the two dogs, Pol Maj Wasawat was slapped with three charges: animal torture which is liable to a maximum two years imprisonment and/or a fine of 40,000 baht; shooting in public without proper reason and carrying firearms in public.

Pol Maj Wasawat admitted that he was wrong and asked for an apology from the public. However, he disclosed that on April 6 his wife went to the 7-Eleven convenience store and was surrounded by about 20 stray dogs with some of them threatening to attack her forcing her to run for an escape.

Two days afterward, he added that his wife was again threatened by some of the dogs.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159115

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-12

Sack him. While the Soi dogs can be dangerous, a cop prepared to shoot something because he is angry is much more dangerous.

This wasn't protecting him or his family. The incident he claims happened was two days before the shooting. He didn't bother with legal process but decided to enact his own form of justice.

Dangerous and unfit to carry firearms

Edited by Bluespunk

.....is this the only sick way to pretend 'one has compassion'.....

.....just pretend 'there is no problem of overpopulation of stray dogs'.....

....and anyone who says the contrary....including attack victims....will be prosecuted.....

...while knife-wielding criminals that attack and rob tourists....get a slap on the wrist.....

Sack him. While the Soi dogs can be dangerous, a cop prepared to shoot something because he is angry is much more dangerous.

This wasn't protecting him or his family. The incident he claims happened was two days before the shooting. He didn't bother with legal process but decided to enact his own form of justice.

+1 the only intelligent and logical comment yet.

I love dogs and have no problems with the stray dogs here. However annoying and dangerous some of them might be, I think it's even more dangerous for somebody to start shooting them in the streets.

Cull them, yes. Start shooting them in a fit of rage, no.

I expect more restraint from a police officer.

So any tool in a uniform can go about shooting his gun and only apologize for his actions

What happens when the same tool shoots an innocent bystander

Same apology facepalm.gif

If your innocent bystander poses the same threat to my family as an attacking dog, damn right I'd shoot him.

Self defense includes protection of your family as well as yourself.

I'm a dog lover. I have two. But if my digs attacked someone, except in defense of my family, I would kill them myself.

Come on everyone knows if a dog plays up - hit it on the nose-have you ever heard of the phrase ' a dogs bark is worse than his bite' - mans best friend!

Wake up loosers

I'll just say I don't blame him. There's a dog in my soi that acts aggressively towards me. She's the only one but if others are around they join her (but ignore me if she isn't)... There have been other dogs acting similarly during my walks. There's a problem when dangerous dogs roam the streets with impunity but people are arrested for essentially defending themselves and their families. Rather than arresting people for defending themselves and their families why not just do something about the stray dog problem? I'm considering carrying a spray bottle with vinegar in it to defend myself... I love dogs, but if I visit Vietnam or next time I'm in Laos maybe I'll try the local cuisine... Maybe they just need to round up the stray dogs, put them up for adoption for a reasonable amount of time, then put them down...

Have been intimidated and bitten while trying get in some walking exercise around Jomtien Beach...would love to have been able to fight back...without the rath of Thais coming to the soi dog's defense...

They are uncontrolled and at times quite vicious...not to be messed with...

So we have conflicting reports in this article. One sentence states that the dogs bite his wife and son while anothet states that the dogs threatened his wife and son.

Which is it?

Not that it would matter to me as either way i would have killed those dogs.

Thailand is long overdue in doing something about these stray, rabbies infected menaces.

I say good job Pol Maj Wasawat Sukthai.

People should be at his station congratulating him for a job well done.

And I am a dog lover btw but these beasts are far from man's best friend.

I agree with everyone who wants rid of these feral dogs.

However, protect yourself from dogs by carrying a stout stick. The dogs will see the stick and you will probably never need to use it: they will steer clear!

Dog in Farangland. Upon reaching sexual maturity or before the caring, loving farang dog owner chops your nuts off. You are now a ladyboydog. You spend most of your life alone, locked up in a backyard waiting for your owner to arrive home at night and feed you some canned <deleted>.

Even if you manage to escape, you probably won't find any other dogs to socialize with as they will all be locked up and some human in a van with a rope will catch you and lock you in a cage. If your owner doesn't come and get you in two weeks you are put on death row and murdered.

You might be lucky to go out once a day with your owner with a chain around your neck and told where to walk.

Dog in Thailand. Hold on to those precious nuts, you are a man dog. Bitches everywhere. Free to cruise around and hump as many as you can. Also sniff around and score some tasty Thai food that is in abundance because Thai people always order too much and there is plenty of leftovers. Different everyday. Tasty.

Cruise on up to the temple where you find your mates and a few bitches and probably somebody leaving piles of food for you when you are worn out humping the bitches. No chains.

If I come back as a dog I hope i am a Thai dog. (But not in Sakon Nakorn)

What legal process are you referring to?

Please tell me, because I have about 50,000 soi dogs all over Thailand that need to be reported to that government agency you are talking about where you can start the legal process to get them removed.

Edited by Bob12345

What legal process are you referring to?

Please tell me, because I have about 50,000 soi dogs all over Thailand that need to be reported to that government agency you are talking about where you can start the legal process to get them removed.

In Bangkok you contact the BMA which is responsible for the control of dangerous animals.

However my point was more about the dangers of a legally armed man deciding to shoot dogs two days after the alleged incident.

It is one thing to shoot an animal attacking you or others and a completely different one when deciding to shoot dogs two days after an alleged incident.

Is there actually any proof the dogs he shot were the ones responsible for this incident.

If there was one that is.

Armed men should exercise greater control.

Edited by Bluespunk

The real culprits here are not the dogs. They are the people who get a lovely cuddly little puppy who then grows into a dog and is no longer wanted. They are then not allowed in through the gate but left to wander the soi looking for food. They are rarely neutered, never bathed or treated for ticks and fleas. So they multiply and none are cared for. Why should they be killed? If you leave them alone they will not bother you. I've seen many people act in a threatening manner towards soi dogs who are simply lying in the shade. This, naturally aggravates the dog into a defensive mode. The culprits are people, who should be prosecuted but........

The real culprits here are not the dogs. They are the people who get a lovely cuddly little puppy who then grows into a dog and is no longer wanted. They are then not allowed in through the gate but left to wander the soi looking for food. They are rarely neutered, never bathed or treated for ticks and fleas. So they multiply and none are cared for. Why should they be killed? If you leave them alone they will not bother you. I've seen many people act in a threatening manner towards soi dogs who are simply lying in the shade. This, naturally aggravates the dog into a defensive mode. The culprits are people, who should be prosecuted but........

best comment I read in a long time ...!!

It is one thing to shoot an animal attacking you or others and a completely different one when deciding to shoot dogs two days after an alleged incident.

Twice you have posted this - a read of the OP will show that it is not true

" Two days afterward, he added that his wife was again threatened by some of the dogs. "

Edited by canthai55

It seems like the only animal protected in Thailand is the soi dog.

Also the only animal that needs to be culled.

I'm in favour of the policeman too.

A few time these particular kind of psycho dogs have attacked me personally or even my kids on the odd occasion. They wander around unkept scavenging food in packs some with a strange glare saliva dribbling off their open mouths reminiscent of zombies during the death march.

Other countries would never allow such a threat on its streets with these menacing flea bagged canines riddled with disease. We're mostly all dog lovers but there is a limit. I think these mutts would be much better off if they're contained under some enclosure and supervision or put their misery rather than limping along on 2-3 legs never getting treatment for any ailments.

Just saying .......

Edited by ScotBkk

They don't euthanize pets in Thailand, so culling is out of the question (unless you're a northern drug dealer or southern prison protestor of course). Good on the cop to rid the street of questionable street dogs, if the dude was telling the truth of attacking his wife.

Edited by tomyummer