Police intensify efforts to prevent violence on Songkran holiday

webfact

Police intensify efforts to prevent violence on Songkran holiday

BANGKOK, 12 April 2016 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police has increased security to prevent violent incidents during the Songkran festival. A ban on inappropriate clothing and water fights from the back of pickup trucks will be actively implemented.

Deputy Spokesman of the Royal Thai Police Col.Kritsana Phatthanacharoen said the national police chief had instructed the Immigration Bureau to screen people who were arriving in Thailand in order to prevent violent incidents. As for traffic, the police would focus on facilitation for the public and road accident prevention, said the deputy spokesman.

Col.Kritsana also invited the public to participate in the “Leave Your Home to Police” project for safety of their properties on the Songkran days.

Meanwhile, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has set up a special center to ensure security for the public from 12-17 April 2016. The center will set up 84 checkpoints across Bangkok.

The Ministry of Public Health has instructed all hospitals under it to be fully prepared to provide emergency medical services throughout the Songkran festival this year. Provincial public health departments have warned shops and entertainment venues to conform to the Alcohol Control Act B.E.2551.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-12 footer_n.gif

Immigration to screen passengers for indication of future violent Songkran behavior.

Every single day now, I keep reading idiotic press releases on Thai Visa News. Then, I look at the source, most come from the National News Bureau of Thailand.

Edited by lkv

"...instructed the Immigration Bureau to screen people who were arriving in Thailand in order to prevent violent incidents."

Anyone who tries to pass through customs carrying a keg on his shoulder will be questioned. All others appear to be safe since they are quality tourists and did not come to Thailand in order to get drunk and engage in violent water activities.

.......But I thought that was the only reason most Thais drive pick ups. Just so they can throw water from them once a year over Songkran. I reasoned this as for the rest of the year 90% of pick ups have absolutely nothing in the back.

The whole point of modern day Songkran is to provoke violence. It's why they put huge blocks of ice in dirty water: why they stop your car and smear it with mud: why they squirt high powered water guns into your face: why they throw big buckets of water at passing motorcyclists: why they soak you even if wearing decent clothes etc.

If you have to suffer this for eight days or more in the Pattaya area, then it's hardly surprising that there are violent incidents. I could quite easily break someone's neck every day of every Songkran.