Six injured in THAI flight during air turbulence over Singapore

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The plane depicted in the picture in not a 777 who has 3 rows of seats, more likely a 737 variety....

but for the local repotting the incident it's close enough.....

Can you tell that from the picture? Could the seats on the right hand side of the picture just be the middle bank of 3 or 4 seats?

If you look at the bank of overhead compartments on the top right of the picture (not just the seats), they are of the 'centre-mounted' type, normally installed above centre-row seats. This suggests that the aircraft in the picture is a twin-aisle aircraft, or a wide-body aircraft. The B777 mentioned in the article is a wide-body, so I think the picture could be the right one.

Just 72 passengers on a 777. Lets hope that is just the Songkran effect or things are not looking good.

Sorry to say this BUT, agree with the above, no wonder Thai are in a desperate situation capacity for a 777 aircraft but only 72 seated.

either the route has too many airlines OR Thai prices are far too high, please any feedback on the actual price on this flight for ECONOMY ??

Turbulence can happen at any time, just unfortunate on this occasion. BELT UP AT ALL TIMES WHEN SEATED

Fair weather pilots trained in Thailand have very little experience with rough weather conditions.

Utter nonsense. Their training is pretty much industry-standard. And nobody flies in the SE Asian tropics for long without gaining plenty of experience with bad weather. Which anyhow has nothing to do with CAT incidents like this one.

The plane depicted in the picture in not a 777 who has 3 rows of seats, more likely a 737 variety....

but for the local repotting the incident it's close enough.....

Its certainly a 777-200 as described. Some 777 configurations are different which is why you are confused.

It has been posted by a TVF member that this was a 737--------maybe because of low occupancy ---72 passengers is low for a 737 even. BUT it clearly IS a 777, older version, but it does show it has 2 aisles -because of the absence of overhead lockers on th right of the photo. Just to add 72 persons only on a 777 between 2 capitols is outrageously low---and a clear money loser. OMG THai.

Yeah, we're always buckled in even with the signs off.... unless it's a flight with an A380 bar, whereas the headline would be 20 passengers injured during turbulence but still had a good time.

But yeah, it's fairly well known that TG is more often in some kind of cash flow tail spin than not. Compare to SQ, whose base has virtually no real tourism clout but has X billion in the bank and is ready to acquire other airlines at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Heng

It is really necessary to photograph this bloody mess?

Is this what the injured person's family want to see?

Perhaps a simple description would surfice.

What can we expect in the future, body parts depicted?

Negative comments are not welcome without knowledge of all the facts and witness statements.

It's possible the person just returned to his seat and did not have time to buckel up. Perhaps the belt was not long enough or malfunctioned.

I really miss common sense.coffee1.gif

Let me guess, the fasten seat belt signs came on and this person was probably one of those who thought it didn't apply to them. I have been on flights during rough turbulence, cabin crew have strapped themselves in and some numbskull gets up and starts going threw the overhead locker. This not only endangers thier safety but other passengers and cabin crew who have to get up to get the idiot back into thier seat.

Every airline I've travelled on, warns passengers before take-off to leave the seat belt on, loosely fastened.

Yet even when a warning is given, there are still those who decide this is a good time to head to the toilets.

Overhead lockers have no padding, and not designed to wrap your head around. blink.png

Let me guess, the fasten seat belt signs came on and this person was probably one of those who thought it didn't apply to them. I have been on flights during rough turbulence, cabin crew have strapped themselves in and some numbskull gets up and starts going threw the overhead locker. This not only endangers thier safety but other passengers and cabin crew who have to get up to get the idiot back into thier seat.

Both the injured and the partner at the window seat did not strapped in from the blood stains on both seat belts...

Yep, nasty looking blood that.

Could also be wine vomit. Have seen that a few times and it's similar. Because it'd have to be a pretty serious head injury to soak down through your clothes and into the seat.... so unless the guy/girl ended up in a prayer position with their head on the seat,.... blame free wine.

Edited by Heng

Anyone who has flown in the last 5 years wil clearly know that on most flights the "Fasten Seatbelt" signs are never turned off!

not the case on most flights i take and i am all over the region with about a flight a month at least.

Learn weather patterns , Thai pilots, they are as qualified as bus drivers who killed over 300 tourist last year. This country is still and will be a TWC for 50 more years if their lucky. Safety, is not their concern only $$$$ that the corrupt leaders use.

Just 72 passengers on a 777. Lets hope that is just the Songkran effect or things are not looking good.

Sorry to say this BUT, agree with the above, no wonder Thai are in a desperate situation capacity for a 777 aircraft but only 72 seated.

either the route has too many airlines OR Thai prices are far too high, please any feedback on the actual price on this flight for ECONOMY ??

Turbulence can happen at any time, just unfortunate on this occasion. BELT UP AT ALL TIMES WHEN SEATED

Not at all unusual for airlines to have full flights one way and nearly empty return. The Christmas/New Year flights tend to be like that for many destinations. Also one off charter flights tend to be full in only one direction.

The crew may have reached their working hours limit and the only available option was to return to the aircraft's operating base, even if it was near empty, although the norm is for a down route crew change if possible, with the off duty crew returning as passengers.

Could also be wine vomit. Have seen that a few times and it's similar. Because it'd have to be a pretty serious head injury to soak down through your clothes and into the seat.... so unless the guy/girl ended up in a prayer position with their head on the seat,.... blame free wine.

Just wine?

post-221427-14605207547198_thumb.jpg

Why is Thai Airways having so many problems with turbulence, its not long ago that a similar number of people were injured on another TG flight, from China or Japan as I recall but in the meantime I haven't heard of other airlines having problems with injured people due to turbulence...

This is a lot of incidents involving injuries due to turbulence...

https://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/airline/thai

Fair weather pilots trained in Thailand have very little experience with rough weather conditions.

Complete nonsense. Thailand often features widespread areas of violent convective weather, as does most of the destinations Thai fly to in the region. Their network also faces challenges with snow and de-icing in -15 degree winters (Japan,China,Korea,).

Ever heard of Europe? They have weather there. Thai flies there.

"Fair weather pilots" is really only an expression that applies to Australians.

Not at all unusual for airlines to have full flights one way and nearly empty return. The Christmas/New Year flights tend to be like that for many destinations. Also one off charter flights tend to be full in only one direction.

The crew may have reached their working hours limit and the only available option was to return to the aircraft's operating base, even if it was near empty, although the norm is for a down route crew change if possible, with the off duty crew returning as passengers.

Your in denial ?? anymore excuses for Thai Airways, Do you deny Thai are over priced ?? you never mentioned this FACT.

Is this similar to a driver fleeing the scene? If passengers were injured close to Singapore why fly them to Bangkok and another 2 hours. Thai airways have been criticised in the past for this.

No in depth inquiry and quickly forgotten in the Thai old boys network.

Edited by poosmate

Your in denial ?? anymore excuses for Thai Airways, Do you deny Thai are over priced ?? you never mentioned this FACT.

I wasn't denying anything, I wasn't responding to the question of price, as you've correctly pointed out! However, I did point out that occasional empty aircraft are an industry wide occurance, not just a Thai Airways issue!

But you carry on looking for reasons to knock Thai Airways!

Oh, and it's *You're* not "Your". You're being the diminutive of *You are*.

Edited by ThaiKneeTim

it would have a 310 people capacity... so 72 is not a whole lot, considering its the starting day for songkran...

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thai_Airways/Thai_Airways_Boeing_777-200_772.php

Yes turbulence can be nasty, but what caught my eye was 14 staff for 72 passengers on a 777. I wonder how much Thai Air loses on that one. Perhaps their fares are to blame for low passenger numbers if this is any indicator.

I've been invited to visit friends in Canada this summer, so I went to Kayak and searched for return fare prices. The range in $US was from 726 to 5459 for 1 economy seat -- BKK to Toronto return. The fare of $5449 was with Alitalia, but Thai air came up as the second highest at $4915. Now, I can understand that the Italian airline isn't too interested in flights routes including Thailand, but you'd think the Thai flagship airline -- the pride of Thai commercial aviation would make some sort of effort to price themselves competitively for flights to and from their own country. Instead, they are almost 7 TIMES HIGHER than the lowest available fare.

I guess one could argue that 72 passengers at an average of 6 to 7 times the price of the lowest fares is a good business model, and that might be true if the heavily tax-supported airline wasn't catering to the rich and elite but instead serving the average Thai citizen.

Yes, very interesting...I also don't understand the Thai business model....Even for little businesses when they get less customers = less money, they raise the prices so to make the same amount of money they got before...There is some serious thinking problem there...Guess that's why so many small businesses come and go faster than you could say ...burst...

on the other hand 72 passengers on a Thai airways flight.. ?..could be all (non paying) family members of members of the board of directors...?!?!?

Best regards.Off Road Pat

I wasn't responding to the question of price, as you've correctly pointed out! However, I did point out that occasional empty aircraft are an industry wide occurance, not just a Thai Airways issue!

Not looking for reasons---just having been here and back for 38 years maybe you will realize I have witnessed Thai going from the best down to near the costliest, and now near bankrupt...............Have a look at Air Asia and Singapore etc to see how an airline should be managed

I wasn't denying anything, I wasn't responding to the question of price, as you've correctly pointed out! However, I did point out that occasional empty aircraft are an industry wide occurance, not just a Thai Airways issue!

Oh, and it's *You're* not "Your". You're being the diminutive of *You are*.

News from last year.

11 THAI’s passengers and crew members injured from air turbulence

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/95376

Any Chinese tourists on board ? They are notorious for opening the overhead luggage compartment when the plane is ascending or descending. The fasten seat belt sign does not apply to Chinese tourists. On my recent AirAsia flight, the Thai AirAsia stewardess must have stood up at least 3 times, screamed across the aisle, to remind the Chinese passengers to sit down.

The IATA should take note and not let Chinese tourists sit near the emergency exits.

Edited by thairookie

Anyone who has flown in the last 5 years wil clearly know that on most flights the "Fasten Seatbelt" signs are never turned off!

not the case on most flights i take and i am all over the region with about a flight a month at least.

Correct. I'm flying frequently in the region and have never seen the sign not being turned off. Nonesense post.