Multiple entry non-immigrant o-visa

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand of 3-6 months in duration (as a tourist).  The normal tourist visa only grants me a 30-day stay, so I've been combing this forum looking for information on what type of visa I need to get in order to stay longer.  From what I've read so far, I need a multiple-entry non-immigrant O-visa (I'd like to travel to other SE Asian countries using Thailand as a base while I'm there).

I have a couple of friends in Thailand (Thai nationals) which I understand is a prerequisite for getting this class of visa.  I checked the thaivisa web page and found a couple of paragraphs about the non-immigrant O-visa, but what I read was confusing to me because it referenced marriage certificates, dependents, and other stuff that doesn't seem applicable to me.

Can anyone let me know if this is the right type of visa for me, and what I need to do in order to get it?  It appears that some kind of letter of support is needed from my Thai friends?

I'm a US national under 50 years in age.  I live near San Francisco, but it looks like the nearest consulate is in Los Angeles, so hopefully I can deal with them through the mail rather than driving down there.

Regards,

Bill