An enjoyable Songkran afternoon!

FolkGuitar

i guess you didn't see the photos of the Thai women at Taphae dressed in see-through white clothing with no bras and wearing g-strings that was posted on facebook? funny thing, apparently the government got so many complaints that by evening the photos had been pulled by FB.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

As for the only offenders of male topless being farang, not what I saw at all.. Plenty of shirtless Thai guys.. But will admit the only asshat of the day to me was a westerner who purposefully shot my food as I was eating it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After lunch, and a wet stroll along the inside of the moat, I came to the conclusion that a LOT more ice was being used this year. I can't say that I enjoy getting a bucket of ice water down my back, but better than than moat water, I guess. But the sounds of laughter outweighed the gasps of cold, and everyone, young and old, seemed to be enjoying Songkran. Perhaps it was the early hour, or perhaps the lack (or reduction) of alcohol consumed, but it seemed to me that there was less 'violence' in the water being thrown. In four hours of watching, I never saw anyone jump out in front of a motorbike and 'hurl' water full into the driver's face. I'm sure it went on somewhere, but I didn't see any of that this year.

I think maybe the 'more ice' was a result of 'less water'.. The hoses running into water barrels were at a trickle, and hence the water in there was a high ice to water ratio.. At least was my conclusion..

I also noticed due to less water available, a more muted and lesser amount of it thrown.. much more holding a bucket and splashing, rather than just throwing the entire bucket..

Personally I thought it was pretty quiet, I expected more crowds and intensity.. Not been into CNX's SG for a couple of years, last year was on Samui and had a ball. Yesterday was ok fun but one days enough. I think a whole gang of us are going to go take an esky to Obkham today to chill in the river. Seems like a decent plan in this heat.

After lunch, and a wet stroll along the inside of the moat, I came to the conclusion that a LOT more ice was being used this year. I can't say that I enjoy getting a bucket of ice water down my back, but better than than moat water, I guess. But the sounds of laughter outweighed the gasps of cold, and everyone, young and old, seemed to be enjoying Songkran. Perhaps it was the early hour, or perhaps the lack (or reduction) of alcohol consumed, but it seemed to me that there was less 'violence' in the water being thrown. In four hours of watching, I never saw anyone jump out in front of a motorbike and 'hurl' water full into the driver's face. I'm sure it went on somewhere, but I didn't see any of that this year.

I think maybe the 'more ice' was a result of 'less water'.. The hoses running into water barrels were at a trickle, and hence the water in there was a high ice to water ratio.. At least was my conclusion..

I also noticed due to less water available, a more muted and lesser amount of it thrown.. much more holding a bucket and splashing, rather than just throwing the entire bucket..

Personally I thought it was pretty quiet, I expected more crowds and intensity.. Not been into CNX's SG for a couple of years, last year was on Samui and had a ball. Yesterday was ok fun but one days enough. I think a whole gang of us are going to go take an esky to Obkham today to chill in the river. Seems like a decent plan in this heat.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I think the increase in ice water was due to the lack of warm.

I didn't receive a single 'deliberate' in-your-face bucket of water this year, and the buckets that I did get covered by were certainly smaller than in previous years. I did notice MORE high-pressure tube guns this year than last, though, but only along the moat... Personally, I really enjoyed the slow strolling down shady sois, interacting with the kids and their parents set up in front of shop houses, and playing with the foreigners in front of their guest houses. Not a speck of ice to be seen off the main streets! Sometimes warm water can be the real blessing!

it can be fun for kids - it's not all fatties and boobs!

(from last year)

For me, that's what Songkran is all about - watching the little ones have fun. On our walk yesterday we came across a giant paddling pool with about 12 kids aged between 5 and 10. We spent about 15 minutes with them. Allowing them (particularly the younger ones) get us then getting them back. I was going to jump into the pool with them but thought better of it. We had great fun. And about 20 farang couples just walked on by and totally ignored the squealing kids.

I suppose it would be no good if we were all the same.

We as Farongs have different takes on it. For a Thai it is a holiday for all of them. My grand daughters came all the way in from San Kampong to Thai Pai gate to enjoy the festivities then back home in a three bedroom home situated on a small lot in a subdivision 23 family members had a great time.

to a Thai and it is their country we are in it is like New Years to us back home only more of a holiday because the family's get together, Yes I reralize we have the perpetual Thai bashers with a list of what is wrong.

Can you imagine what it was like in their home countries?sad.png So bad they are driven to have to live here with all it's faults.sad.png

I may not partake in it to the point FolkGuitar does but I do enjoy the little I do partake in and massively enjoy seeing the Thai's enjoying their holidays particularly the family gatherings.

FolkGuitar

FolkGuitar

With apologies to Jimi Hendrix & 'Rainy Day':

Hey man, take a look out the window 'n' see what's happ'nin'
Hey man, it's SongKran
It's SongKran outside man
Aw, don't worry 'bout that
Everything's gonna be everything
We'll get into somethin' real nice you know
Sit back and groove on a SongKran day
Yeah
Yeah I see what you mean brother, lay back and groove.
SongKran day, dream away
Let the world take a holiday
Flowers bathe an' see the children play
Lay back and groove on a SongKran day.
Well I can see a bunch of wet creatures, look at them on the run
The carnival traffic noise it sings the tune splashing up 'n'
Even the ducks can groove -- bathin' in the park side pool
And I'm leanin' out my window sill diggin' ev'rything
And ah and you too.
SongKran day -- all 3 days
Ain't no use in gettin' uptight
Just let it groove it's own way
Let it drain your worries away yeah
Lay back and groove on a SongKran day hey
Lay back and dream on a SongKran day.

I like to get out for one day of Songkran merry-making, and today was it!

I left the house at 10:30, walked down Huay Kaew Road and along the north side of the moat until Chiang Puak Gate. Pretty active even at that early hour. I thought I'd get all the way to Thapae Gate before getting very wet, but I was mistaken. I turned into the Old City, sticking to the smaller sois for the shade and to avoid the moat water. Reached the plaza in front of the gate to find it shoulder to shoulder with laughing people, Thais and visitors alike, all very busy getting each other wet. My usual lunch restaurant had every table full by noon, with a full mix of Thais, western tourists, and Chinese. The waiters had to constantly remind the Chinese tourists not to throw water inside the restaurant.... Other than that, it was a pretty well mannered crowd.

I saw a lot of the high-pressure 'tube' guns being used... those long, thin power-piston single shot hand-held water cannons that have been outlawed for the past three years... I saw a lot of pickup trucks with outlawed barrels of water in the back. As far as 'inappropriate dress' was concerned... only the farangs were running around in bathing suits, the guys without shirts, the girls in bikini tops. Personally, I think it's fine, but I guess the government doesn't. I DID see quite a few young Thai women wearing 'traditional' Thai-style dresses, looking lovely but uncomfortable when wet...

Lots of vendors selling a lot food. BBQ's set up every few meters along the moat. I guess "chicken flavored with klong water' is a big seller. 'Sprayed Meatballs' seem popular too. But after a couple of hours, I figured I'd had enough for this year. ducked back into the smaller sois and wandered back home, there to dry off for another year, having blessed and been blessed by this years Songkran holiday.

Happy New Year, Thailand!

Riveting !!

Maybe not to you ?, but this was a good and honest account of he's day. And most of us are happy some people really have a good time at Songkran !! And I am one of them....!

Some of us are tired of constantly reading bad story's about Thailand and it's people....that a good uneventful story sound refreshing...

Edited by off road pat

With apologies to Jimi Hendrix & 'Rainy Day':

Hey man, take a look out the window 'n' see what's happ'nin'
Hey man, it's SongKran
It's SongKran outside man
Aw, don't worry 'bout that
Everything's gonna be everything
We'll get into somethin' real nice you know
Sit back and groove on a SongKran day
Yeah
Yeah I see what you mean brother, lay back and groove.
SongKran day, dream away
Let the world take a holiday
Flowers bathe an' see the children play
Lay back and groove on a SongKran day.
Well I can see a bunch of wet creatures, look at them on the run
The carnival traffic noise it sings the tune splashing up 'n'
Even the ducks can groove -- bathin' in the park side pool
And I'm leanin' out my window sill diggin' ev'rything
And ah and you too.
SongKran day -- all 3 days
Ain't no use in gettin' uptight
Just let it groove it's own way
Let it drain your worries away yeah
Lay back and groove on a SongKran day hey
Lay back and dream on a SongKran day.

I think he would approve. Maybe you are not the word smith he was... but the spirit is right.

Hendrix was my first concert in life.

Songkran is great fun. I am quite an introverted guy and generally don't enjoy mingling with huge groups of people, but I make an exception for Songkran. This is the second year running that I have been lucky enough to be in CM at this time of year. It is a very fun experience. Tuesday was spent on Loi Kroh drinking beer and partying. Yesterday I went to Doi Kham, watched a parade at Tha Phae and then partied very hard on Loi Kroh. The crowds on that road are always huge for Songkran and I enjoy the drunken fun. Today I'm staying in the apartment to recharge my batteries before one more day of madness tomorrow. Haven't gone out partying at night but was considering Zoe as it attracts my age group (twenties). Maybe tomorrow after Loi Kroh if I have the energy.

^^^^ Yes, that's awesome. It's that wonderful combination of soaking wet (drunken) obese people co-mingling with undereducated (drunken) poverty-stricken fools who create significant amounts of traffic deaths through asinine behavior.

The companies who manufacture insulin and cremate bodies must be delirious at the profit potential.

The worst aspect of it all is that nearly everyone in these photos has the right to vote and the ability to reproduce.

Perhaps this isn't the right country for you, some negatives with road deaths, but just happy people having fun.

Regarding voting and & reproduction have a look at the movie "Idiocracy" for some insight into western superiority.

Sssshhhhhh! Didn't you read the earlier posts that this is for fun and happiness only? Please, regale us with your enjoyable and harmonious Songkran tale.

One thing you and the other "folksy" chucklehead can't quite seem to comprehend is that not everyone has to enjoy Songkran.....and if one doesn't, it means nothing more and nothing less. Been living here several years now, just don't like Songkran.

(Great job using a science fiction movie to bolster your argument, lol. Maybe next we can debate the merits of time travel in Terminator 2.)

These are the best ... hey, look at me, I'm living here since 5, 10, 15, x .. amount of years ... (I must have heard this, unrequested, a thousand times), followed by a lot of negative bull to listen to. What you want, an 'Count in Years Accomplishment Certificate"? Farangs in Thailand, what a breed ;-) I went up country this songkran to avoid especially them, and it's working out just perfectly since a few days! ;-)

Who cares how long people have lived in Thailand 1 yr 2 weeks 10 yrs 50 yrs. Nothing to do with Songkran it's a Thai holiday not brit/usa/Russian or any other country. Please put aside your wrong asumptions of Thai's for three days and let yourself enjoy I bet you will enjoy it if you do remember back all those years to your childhood when nothing mattered except having fun.____________ that's it go on we know you can

Edited by jeab1980

post-84514-0-45601100-1460629870_thumb.j

These are the best ... hey, look at me, I'm living here since 5, 10, 15, x .. amount of years ... (I must have heard this, unrequested, a thousand times), followed by a lot of negative bull to listen to. What you want, an 'Count in Years Accomplishment Certificate"? Farangs in Thailand, what a breed ;-) I went up country this songkran to avoid especially them, and it's working out just perfectly since a few days! ;-)

Please, this is a "joyous" and "harmonious" thread....didn't you read the earlier self-appointed moderator's postings?

You are right, it should be ;-) Peace & over! ;-) I'm sitting here since the morning hours on the porch watching all the people having a lot of fun. Sometimes I go a few meters out to join them, even manage to not getting my phone soaked ... it's a very very relaxed atmosphere. Just perfect!

Edited by TG911

Songkran is a joyous holiday.

Holidays can be tough for unhappy people. They see so many folks of all different age-groups playing together, laughing together, and doing so day after day... and it hurts them. So they lash out. You see the very same names again and again dumping on any thread that expresses pleasure, happiness, or enjoyment of life in Thailand. Many of them moved to Thailand with stary-eyed dreams of idyllic retirement only to discover that they are just as sad and lonely here as they were back home. That hurts. That's reality giving them a slap upside the head. And as 'misery loves company,' they need to prove to the world that it's just not possible to enjoy life here in Thailand. That's their own reality. There is no comprehension that it's not everyone elses' reality.

Songkran is a joyous event for millions of people all over Thailand. Visitors plan their vacations just to be able to experience Songkran in Chiang Mai. They love it. Those of us who have lived here for years have often grown tired of it, but still understand that this is our feelings that have grown 'weary' of three or four days of merry-making. One day is enough for us, or in some cases, just a few hours. But... It's a HOLIDAY! It's not a punishment.

The unhappy, negative people have to deal with living within their own private hells. It's their problem, not ours.

I congratulate you on such a gracious reply.

Reading some of the replies,

Often times i wonder if some people ever enjoy anything at all in life? If they ever find anything at all to smile at? How would their family, friends and people around feel with a person who constantly sees only the negatives in every aspect of their lives.

Well, I broke my one-day Songkran tradition and went out this afternoon for a bit more play. Rather than go downtown, we just went in the area around Kad Suan Kaew. A bit smaller crowd than last year, but still thousands of people throwing water, squirting each other, laughing and having a good time. From there we walked though Santithem, down the quieter streets. Lots of families out celebrating, lots more laughing and playing. Got really, really wet, which was welcome in the 40° heat, and avoided both moat water and ice water. And once again, not a single bucket hurled at my face today.

I'd go so far as to say this was my most enjoyable Songkran to date. It seemed a little more 'peaceful.' That may just be the areas I was in, but it could also be the reduction in alcohol. I wasn't in the Loi Kraw area nor around Zoe in Yellow, so I can't say what was going on there. I have a feeling there will be some serious 'wind-down' tomorrow, even though it's not officially over. It's over for me, though. I'll hang up my guns until next year rolls around.

I'd go so far as to say this was my most enjoyable Songkran to date. It seemed a little more 'peaceful.' That may just be the areas I was in, but it could also be the reduction in alcohol.

I thought it was very reduced this year..

I had something to attend to out past maya, so for me that meant driving down through niman, which I expected to be gridlock water fights.. A couple of quiet water stations with a couple of people at each, I suspect I could have ridden a scooter in from hang dong and stayed dry. I would have thought niman went off..

And once again, not a single bucket hurled at my face today.

I'd go so far as to say this was my most enjoyable Songkran to date. It seemed a little more 'peaceful.'

Thai media actually did have many more pre-Songkran messages in different forms this year.

Maybe that helped?

Here is one example from EDT.coms page on FB

https://www.facebook.com/EDTguide/videos/10154123401467661/

Of course the tourist areas around the moat nothing can help ...as they do not know/care but everywhere

else this year I would agree was a bit more "peaceful" enjoyable.

I have a feeling there will be some serious 'wind-down' tomorrow, even though it's not officially over. It's over for me, though. I'll hang up my guns until next year rolls around.

Mama, put my guns in the ground

I can't shoot them anymore.

That long black cloud is comin' down

I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

I'd go so far as to say this was my most enjoyable Songkran to date. It seemed a little more 'peaceful.' That may just be the areas I was in, but it could also be the reduction in alcohol.

I thought it was very reduced this year..

I had something to attend to out past maya, so for me that meant driving down through niman, which I expected to be gridlock water fights.. A couple of quiet water stations with a couple of people at each, I suspect I could have ridden a scooter in from hang dong and stayed dry. I would have thought niman went off..

Possibly a result of having more places and more options; years ago there really was just the moat and then Central Kad Suan Kaew, which is close by. People can go to Maya and other places now if they want the stages, music, foam, pretties, etc. So that means that at each location there isn't a ridiculously massive crowd: that's a good thing. (Look at the pictures of Silom in Bangkok.. that looks like hell.)

Overall it's a good thing: when you feel like a full on experience you can head to the moat and then specifically around Thapae, or Loy Kroh even. Or further afield it's quieter. But then that's always the case of course, I can (and did) always pick the right area for the right vibe.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Pretty dead out there today - Mr K walked home through Taipae Gate about 3 o'clock and said it was pretty much empty, mainly children and hardly any backpakers at all All of the stages gone, nothing happening. Perhaps everyone obeyed the governments order for 2 days?

I'm glad really - I've lived through a 12 year drought that forced the state government to build a desalination plant (the drought broke just as they started building that little money pit) and it made me appreciate saving water and having restrictions. The dam levels are so low, I honestly agree with the government for doing it. Not being a killjoy, we are rapidly running out of water and have saved one third of what would have been used.