259 die and 2,378 injured in four days of Songkran festival celebration

webfact

259 die and 2,378 injured in four days of Songkran festival celebration

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4FribC8LHiIiWfI8AB8E3njO

BANGKOK: -- A total of 259 people have died and 2,378 others injured in four days of the Songkran festival celebration.

Only yesterday, 78 were killed and 61 injured in the road mishaps that were caused mostly by drink driving. There were a total of 555 road accidents in a single day yesterday.

Three days record released yesterday showed 181 died and over 1,770 were injured.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159649

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-15

=============================================

Four days of Songkran celebrations claim 259 deaths, 2,378 injuries

1504010-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Nationwide Songkran festival celebration has claimed 259 deaths and 2,378 injuries in a total of 2,216 road mishaps that happened within four days from April 11-14.

National Council for Peace and Order’s (NCPO) civil affairs spokesman Lt Gen Thirawat Boonyawat disclosed at a press conference jointly taken part by the Department of Public Disasters Prevention and Mitigation that yesterday alone, 78 were killed and 601 injured in the road mishaps that were caused mostly by drink driving.

Only yesterday a total of 555 road accidents occurred, he said.

In all, he said, a total of 259 people have died and 2,378 others injured in four days of the Songkran festival celebration from April 11-14.

Chiang Mai recorded the highest road mishaps with 100 cases and highest injuries of 104 people in four days, while Bangkok taking the lead in road fatalities with 14 deaths.

Major causes of road mishaps were drunk driving and speeding, and motorcycle is the vehicle that engaged in most fatal accidents.

NCPO deputy spokesman Col Sirichan Ngathong, meanwhile, said 1,492 vehicles impounded at road-safety checkpoints across the country yesterday as part of the government’s no drink-driving campaign during the Songkran festival.

She said there were 41,797 traffic violations involving public vehicles and personal cars yesterday.

Authorities seized 571 driving licenses, impounded 313 cars and public vehicles and arrested 9,323 people for drunk driving yesterday, she said.

Between April 9 and 14, a total of 3,057 vehicles, including 2,361 motorcycles and 696 cars, have been impounded.

A total of 14,880 driving licenses were seized, 32,400 motorcyclists and 19,916 drivers of public vehicles and private cars arrested during this period, she added.

stats.jpg

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159658

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-15

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand's road fatality rate is 13 times higher than the UK, which has a similar-sized population. The country is soaked in blood. I am driving less and less until something is done. I want to die in a rocking chair not a road accident.

Why not hedge your bets and fit a rocking chair in your car ;)

No,no,no...the real problem here is provocative dancing, non-traditional attire and the the use of water-guns!

coffee1.gif

Even if they would flood Silom in Singh and Seangsom- all this carnage would never happen, if you just enforced the laws on drunk- driving, driving without helmets or seatbelts, driving without a license, driving as a minor (with 3 other minors on one bike) etc!

Again: every single one of these casualties is on the head of those, who permanently have it up their own @$$ and think, that loud music on an organized festival on Silom or Khao Sarn, or titties, are the real problem!

Road 22 around Nong Mek they are enlarging the road to 4 lanes since February 2015, almost finished now. Just before Songkran they closed off the intersection so you can't turn right or left downtown Nong Mek. Coming from Udon you now need to continue 500m or some more and make a U-turn. Just incredible scenes this morning hitting the village. Cars finding a way to cross the 2x2 200m before the intersection, motorbikes trying to cross the intersection where it is clearly CLOSED and endangering the lives of everyone nearing the intersection AND motorbikes trying to cross the road within 200 from the intersection ANYWHERE, again endangering the lives of everyone.

When will they ever learn? Old 1960 song....

Edited by tartempion

solution is so simple, UK fatalities on the roads in the 30's were actually very high, until they introduced- A DRIVING TEST, 3 maneuvers in a car park is NOT a driving test. Added that this country needs a proper MOT system of vehicle checking once a year for road worthiness of vehicles.Lastly they need a written test for the highway code, yes they do have one somewhere. That would weed out those who cannot read, it does help with road signs. Nothing will be done for all the publicity, tut tutting and hand wringing, nobody really cares about 500 people a week being slaughtered, democracy.? more like idiocracy here.

Horrible place to drive -- anytime.

As has been discussed in some other threads, this number is right on the average through any recent year, assuming 2013 wasn't an exception.

According to WHO, there were 2437 traffic fatalities in Thailand in 2013. Dividing that by 365, we get an average of 66.4 per day, multiplied by 4 (days) it's 265.6.

I guess that's a good reminder to not let our guards down any after the holiday finishes.

solution is so simple, UK fatalities on the roads in the 30's were actually very high, until they introduced- A DRIVING TEST, 3 maneuvers in a car park is NOT a driving test. Added that this country needs a proper MOT system of vehicle checking once a year for road worthiness of vehicles.Lastly they need a written test for the highway code, yes they do have one somewhere. That would weed out those who cannot read, it does help with road signs. Nothing will be done for all the publicity, tut tutting and hand wringing, nobody really cares about 500 people a week being slaughtered, democracy.? more like idiocracy here.

Agreed...

There should be international standards on many things including driving tests or the validity of driving licences outside country of issue should be void.

Road 22 around Nong Mek they are enlarging the road to 4 lanes since February 2015, almost finished now. Just before Songkran they closed off the intersection so you can't turn right or left downtown Nong Mek. Coming from Udon you now need to continue 500m or some more and make a U-turn. Just incredible scenes this morning hitting the village. Cars finding a way to cross the 2x2 200m before the intersection, motorbikes trying to cross the intersection where it is clearly CLOSED and endangering the lives of everyone nearing the intersection AND motorbikes trying to cross the road within 200 from the intersection ANYWHERE, again endangering the lives of everyone.

When will they ever learn? Old 1960 song....

Where have all the flowers gone?

It's all down to the national psyche. "I get in a vehicle or onto a motosai and I am invincible". The collective lack of a sense of responsibility and consequences will not change because it is ingrained into the culture through education, societal structure and Buddhism. So we have a population who think that they can individually do what they like and hang the consequences.

And the junta has no idea whatsoever about engagement with the people, the alteration of attitudes and behaviour as well as actually being regarded as having any authority over what individuals think and do. These self defined authoritarians are completely out of touch with the selfish individualism of Thai people, and engage in short term naive activities that have absolutely no effect on ingrained attitudes. The sooner they realise that to most people they are nothing more than a crowd of flapping mouths the sooner they will realise they have had no effect on the attitudes that caused the chaos of past years and the carnage on the roads 24/7/365.

Meanwhile, there are police at checkpoints right across the land staring at their phones wondering how this can happen. Again. crazy.gif

I seriously doubt that any of those police are 'wondering how this can happen'. That would imply that they actually care, which they obviously do not.

I am waiting for all those who on TV defend the celebrations and that they should continue. Well if these statistics are not enough to force the authorities to do something once and for all and clean the image of Songkran up and hopefully save many wasted lives. If wanting people to live and not be maimed is being a killjoy then I will cope with that,

It is going to take a lot of work to change the mind set of people though, so good luck with that.

It's all down to the national psyche. "I get in a vehicle or onto a motosai and I am invincible". The collective lack of a sense of responsibility and consequences will not change because it is ingrained into the culture through education, societal structure and Buddhism. So we have a population who think that they can individually do what they like and hang the consequences.

And the junta has no idea whatsoever about engagement with the people, the alteration of attitudes and behaviour as well as actually being regarded as having any authority over what individuals think and do. These self defined authoritarians are completely out of touch with the selfish individualism of Thai people, and engage in short term naive activities that have absolutely no effect on ingrained attitudes. The sooner they realise that to most people they are nothing more than a crowd of flapping mouths the sooner they will realise they have had no effect on the attitudes that caused the chaos of past years and the carnage on the roads 24/7/365.

Agree with this. But I would sum it up in one word: selfishness. Speaking generally of course, Thais drink and drive because they don't think about the consequence for others; speed too much because they don't think about others; and drive carelessly because they don't think about others.

Thais on the road, and in other scenarios, are generally extremely selfish and do not consider their fellow human beings.

I don't know what this can be attributed to but I know it leads to death when someone of that ilk is behind a powerful machine like a car.

Edited by cms22

Given the staggering amount of road accidents normally in Thailand, one wonders what percentage is a direct result of the Songkran celebrations?

An extremely valid observation. If you look at the total amount of deaths on the road each year then any normal day is really not that far off a day during Songkran. It is just the Thai Police make a big thing of it now. The fact is the checkpoints do not stop the accidents, especially when drunk drivers are stopped and then allowed to continue their journey after paying 500-1000 baht. This is just bonanza time for the police coffers.

Well i cannot say i am surprised,at the present i am in the Philippines,and the driving may look a little chaotic at first,but people actually let you go,and actually adhere to the road rules,so far in 2 weeks i have not seen one motorbike come the wrong way down the street,and wow,they actually stop and look when coming from a side street into the traffic,unlike Thailand were they just fly out with no thought that something maybe coming, also they actually look ahead,instead of looking all around at the shops,in fact anywhere but ahead ,constant use of the horn to alert other drivers they are there,over here takes a bit of getting used to,but no problem. The buses not much better though .

Edited by marko kok prong

Agree with this. But I would sum it up in one word: selfishness. Speaking generally of course, Thais drink and drive because they don't think about the consequence for others; speed too much because they don't think about others; and drive carelessly because they don't think about others.

Thais on the road, and in other scenarios, are generally extremely selfish and do not consider their fellow human beings.

I don't know what this can be attributed to but I know it leads to death when someone of that ilk is behind a powerful machine like a car.

Two good points,i raised the issue of road fatalities with my ex wife's family a few years ago,the reply was not our family,why would we care.

Thailand's road fatality rate is 13 times higher than the UK, which has a similar-sized population. The country is soaked in blood. I am driving less and less until something is done. I want to die in a rocking chair not a road accident.

And the UK has a good deal more roads than Thailand. London at least 40% more than BKK.

I am waiting for all those who on TV defend the celebrations and that they should continue. Well if these statistics are not enough to force the authorities to do something once and for all and clean the image of Songkran up and hopefully save many wasted lives. If wanting people to live and not be maimed is being a killjoy then I will cope with that,

It is going to take a lot of work to change the mind set of people though, so good luck with that.

Yeah?

Here I am!

It is not the celebrations per se, that are the problem!

It's the IDGAF- attitude of the law makers and the ones to enforce it!

What is wrong with going partying and having a drink, as long as you don't get up on your bike or into your car and -unhindered by the police- mow down some equally drunk drivers?

Given that Songkran and New Years generally have lower than average road fatalities I would rather suggest celebrating New Year and Songkran 6 months a piece

I know that every year it is bad but this year it has literally seemed like a war-zone.

I will admit I have not been out much at all this Songkran, but the times I have and have seen an accident it seems like 'oh another one down' as if seeing casualties of war. And in my house I have lost count of the times I have heard an ambulance race by.

BS numbers again this year.

First why didn't they start counting last Friday instead of the 11th? Everyone began the exodus on the 4th.

Second, the daily annual for road deaths works out to be about 72 people killed per day so if there numbers were accurate (and they aren't) then Songkran and Xmas season are substantially safer that a normal day (and they aren't!!!)

They only count people that die at the scene not those that are pronounced dead at hospital.

They fudge the numbers and it still looks horrible. TIT