Purple line train to open public trial in May

webfact

Purple line train to open public trial in May

BANGKOK, 15 April 2016 (NNT) – The Bang Yai - Tao Poon Purple Rail Line is set for public trial in May, servicing free rides prior to the official opening date in August with an expected daily service capacity of 120,000 passengers, according to the government spokesman.

Government spokesman Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd has revealed that the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) is scheduled to conduct a service trail of the Purple Line train on the Bang Yai - Tao Poon section by May. The Purple Line is expected to be ready for full operations in August.

The 90-day trial run will allow operators to get accustomed to the system, involving normal train operations and emergency situations, as well as full performance of the system. The general public will be allowed to take the train for free during parts of the test run, the government spokesman has said.

The Purple Line train is composed of 16 stations along the 23-kilometer track, connecting Nonthaburi Province to the existing transportation system. It is expected that the Purple Line will be able to accommodate up to 120,000 passengers each day during its first year of operations. The fare along the route is expected to be in the range of 14 baht to 42 baht.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-15 footer_n.gif

Is the MRT underground extended from Bang Sue to Tao Pun? Or is that bit stil missing?

The last article I read said the extension to the MRT wouldn't be finished for a while yet even though the line is in place.

So they would use a free shuttle bus to connect the 2 stations as it's too far to walk.

Probably won't be connected until the whole of the extension to MRT is completed, which means they won't get anywhere near 120,000 passengers a day. Then the MRT will be really overcrowed like the BTS in rush hour.

When it does open it is certain to lose money for a few years. Will get traffic during the rush hours but midday .... very little. Lived in Bangyai for 10 years until recently and know the local mentality well. If it costs 40 baht to go into town they would rather leave home 30 minutes earlier and take a micro bus. Little savings mean a lot to poor people and there are few tourists along that route to fill the coffers.

When it does open it is certain to lose money for a few years. Will get traffic during the rush hours but midday .... very little. Lived in Bangyai for 10 years until recently and know the local mentality well. If it costs 40 baht to go into town they would rather leave home 30 minutes earlier and take a micro bus. Little savings mean a lot to poor people and there are few tourists along that route to fill the coffers.

Purple line also has too many stops for a tourist. If you want to go from Bang Yai to Siam i guess it will take an hour and you'll have to change vehicles a few times.

I don't see this purple line as the solution for trafficproblems nor for a good alternative to travel.

We need a highspeed line direct to Siam, that would be interesting. Not this B-choice line, even if it went straight from Bang Yai to Mochit i wouldn't use it because it stops too much.

Purple line also has too many stops for a tourist. If you want to go from Bang Yai to Siam i guess it will take an hour and you'll have to change vehicles a few times.

I don't see this purple line as the solution for trafficproblems nor for a good alternative to travel.

We need a highspeed line direct to Siam, that would be interesting. Not this B-choice line, even if it went straight from Bang Yai to Mochit i wouldn't use it because it stops too much.

Om my motorbike i beat the BTS hands down.. in a car during rush hour it might be different.

40 THB is a lot of money... each way, that's 80 THB/day. If they work 25days/mo that's 2,000 THB. And that's provided this gets them directly there. Chances are they still need a motobike or another bus to continue the journey.

Plus, it does not look like it connects to any other MRT/BTS right now. So you are almost guaranteed to need to pay for two sets of transport to get anywhere.

It might have potential for people who *want* to live out from the center of the city if there was a fast way to commute directly to work, but with nothing getting them to downtown quickly and easily still it could have problems.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe in 5-10 years when all the other lines are hooked up, and there are enough interchanges. *AND* if they introduce monthly or yearly passes for unlimited travel, then it might be good.

I still wonder why they don't have monthly/yearly pass. I kept looking for one and was confounded by my lack of googling skills only to find out such a thing does not exist :P

Construction on the section of the MRT Blue Line extension that links Tao Poon and Bang Sue stations has been accelerated ahead of the rest of that line.

Press reports I have read say that it is expected to be in service early 2017. Until then there will be a shuttle bus running between those stations.

So it's probably the best part of a year from now before the line is properly useful. Even so, it is great progress IMHO.

Om my motorbike i beat the BTS hands down.. in a car during rush hour it might be different.

The more routes you know in BKK the better it is for a motobike. Now i use roads without congestion even if i have to drive further for them. It's worth it and also makes me less tired.

If a ride in the skytrain was fun like sitting in the Shinkansen bullettrain i wouldn't complaint but there's not much comfort in the bts and it stops so often. On top of that i don't want to go from skytrain to metro and back to skytrain. That's not a pleasant trip. Better improve the riverboats as well and it might be fun to travel in BKK..

Hope they are rushing to build lots of huge condos at every station on the new line......

The rushing was long ago. There are several dozen completed condos along the route and more on the way.

Bat that's a good thing. Isn't it?

Purple rain train to open public rain trial in May

BANGKOK, 15 April 2016 (NNT) – The Bang Yai - Tao Poon Purple Rain Line is set for public trial in May, servicing free rides prior to the official opening date in August with an expected daily service capacity of 120,000 passengers, according to the government spokesman. Spokesman Mr. Jimi Hendrix might consider to sue them for copyright issues.

A seven digit number is highly possible.

post-158336-0-06678000-1460816900_thumb.

Does anyone have any update on the DMK/city train link?

The SRT red line is definitely making good progress now, some of the framework for stations is now going up. Looks like a lot of the derelict pillars from the previous attempt have been removed. Also, the BTS extension from Mo Chit towards Rangsit now under construction will stop behind Don Mueang, not sure if there will be any kind of walkway connection into the airport?

40 THB is a lot of money... each way, that's 80 THB/day. If they work 25days/mo that's 2,000 THB. And that's provided this gets them directly there. Chances are they still need a motobike or another bus to continue the journey.

Plus, it does not look like it connects to any other MRT/BTS right now. So you are almost guaranteed to need to pay for two sets of transport to get anywhere.

It might have potential for people who *want* to live out from the center of the city if there was a fast way to commute directly to work, but with nothing getting them to downtown quickly and easily still it could have problems.

Maybe in 5-10 years when all the other lines are hooked up, and there are enough interchanges. *AND* if they introduce monthly or yearly passes for unlimited travel, then it might be good.

I still wonder why they don't have monthly/yearly pass. I kept looking for one and was confounded by my lack of googling skills only to find out such a thing does not exist tongue.png

One of my employees has a monthly card that cost 1,000 baht. I believe it provides him with 50 rides from/to any BTS station.

I still wonder why they don't have monthly/yearly pass. I kept looking for one and was confounded by my lack of googling skills only to find out such a thing does not exist tongue.png

One of my employees has a monthly card that cost 1,000 baht. I believe it provides him with 50 rides from/to any BTS station.

Is it possible that's just a prepaid card and it deducts each trip? Like an Oyster card, versus a 'monthly' pass which entitles unlimited travel during the duration? In Zurich I had an unlimited travel card for the year -- brilliant, just jump on/off at a whim and never have to pay again. Use as much as I want.

Construction on the section of the MRT Blue Line extension that links Tao Poon and Bang Sue stations has been accelerated ahead of the rest of that line.

Press reports I have read say that it is expected to be in service early 2017. Until then there will be a shuttle bus running between those stations.

So it's probably the best part of a year from now before the line is properly useful. Even so, it is great progress IMHO.

Anywhere along the Purple Line / Blue Line especially noteworthy for living at? Or just 'a place' (versus having some vibrant/interesting/local/ex-paty/whatever convenient life style).

A 50-ride, 30-day Adult BTS pass is 1,250 baht, while a 40 ride pass is 1,040 baht. These do not cover the extensions Bang Chak-Bearing and Pho Nimit-Bang Wa, for which there is an additional charge (15 baht, I think?).

I think a 30 day unlimited MRT pass is 1,400. Not sure if that will remain the same once the Purple Line opens, and/or other lines which the BMCL might operate?

So a total cost of 2,650 for 30 days seems like a potential target, plus any extension surcharges, for a purple line/BTS commute?

Maybe employers will subsidize some/all of this cost for employees?