ROKU

Apache704

I doubt you can since its not supported by roku there....quite a backdated technology and limited in functionality...id rather get a high spec android box for a bit more $ .... Far more versatile.

Sold my roku ages ago.

Best way to get one is get it from amazon and to you via a service like borderlinx.

I doubt you can since its not supported by roku there....quite a backdated technology and limited in functionality...id rather get a high spec android box for a bit more $ .... Far more versatile.

Sold my roku ages ago.

Best way to get one is get it from amazon and to you via a service like borderlinx.

Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me more about an Adroid box.

Sold my roku ages ago.

Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me more about an Adroid box.

Just search "Android Kodi" on this forum...dozens of topics detailing it. You can also do the same search in You Tube, many videos on the topic.

The Roku4 is a great box is you live in North America and you're only going to use the apps it supports out of the box. The FireTV is a better choice in Thailand IMHO, because you can sideload any Android app onto it, for example Kodi, VPN's and iLikeHD.

Generic Android boxes will do the job just for Kodi but have one major limitation: Netflix limits their maximum resolution to only 720P. If/when we get other streaming services officially in TH, you can bet they're also going to do the same as well. If/when we get Amazon Prime video, you can bet the only way to view it will be using a FireTV box or stick.

The FireTV stick has a max resolution of 1080P - whereas the FireTV box supports 4K, which is something you might want to consider. The stick version also doesn't have wired Ethernet support or Toslink audio, which some prefer. Both have a bluetooth remote, which I find much better than old school infrared remotes that come with most generic Android boxes.

I've had and used the original Roku HDMI streaming stick here in Thailand for a year or two now, and it works fine. Ordered from Amazon in the U.S., and had shipping here by my mail forwarding service. Roku, meanwhile, has just recently come out with a 2nd gen version of the HDMI stick with updated specs.

I've never used my Roku stick with Netflix here, because I gave up that subscription sometime back. But I currently use it and it works fine with a Sling TV subscription from the U.S.

In order to get the proper use out of the Roku here (because it has no internal ability to set/use a VPN), I paired it with a VPN (DD-WRT) router in my home that delivers a U.S. IP address. So as far as the Roku unit knows, I'm in the U.S., and have access to all the Roku channels that any U.S. person would have access to.

The Roku 3 boxes also have been very well reviewed, and add features like voice control remote and Ethernet internet as opposed to the wifi only that the original Roku HDMI stick offers.

What piece of hardware is best for someone really depends on how you want to use it and what you want to do with it. There's many different flavors of streaming hardware, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. And different units work better or worse with different video/streaming sources.

I'm not wedded to any of them. I use the Roku stick as mentioned above. I have a Chromecast Audio and Video at home, which I use less. And I just ordered an Amazon Fire TV box that's en route, because I want to try the new Sony Playstation Vue online cable TV service, which right now doesn't work with Android or Roku, but only Fire TV and IOS devices.

Sorry to say, I've never seen any source for buying Roku units from a local retailer in Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 7 months later...

A LOT has changed since that post of more than six months ago:

--Roku has an entirely new line of boxes and an updated stick.

--Amazon has also just in the past month came out with a 2nd gen Fire TV stick.

--Sony Playstation Vue online TV has gone nationwide in the U.S., and I've used it for a couple months, and over time they've expanded their reach to a broader range of platforms than at launch, including on Roku, IOS, Android and a web interface.

Over time, I've found the following results personally:

--my Google Chromecast Audio has gone in the drawer, because I could never get it to perform reliably from the Chrome browser, which is the main way I wanted to use it.

--my Google Chromecast has gone in the drawer, because I prefer to use a set-top TV box or stick with a remote control device controlling an on-screen menu, as opposed to using a phone or tablet to cast content to my TVs.

--Amazon Fire TV's have become my favorite OTT streaming device/platform, partly because I have an investment in the Amazon platform via Amazon Prime Music, partly because I think the Fire TV box is very easy and speedy to use and I've been able to sideload onto it all the Android apps I want to use. Not to mention they're very inexpensive.

--But for this holiday season, I passed on getting the 2nd gen Fire TV stick because neither it nor the current Fire TV box support the coming HDR video standard. Instead, on an upcoming trip to the U.S., I'm thinking of picking up a $69 Mi Box set-top box from Walmart that handles both 4K and HDR video along with running the newest Android TV (Android) platform.

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A LOT has changed since that post of more than six months ago:

--Roku has an entirely new line of boxes and an updated stick.

--Amazon has also just in the past month came out with a 2nd gen Fire TV stick.

--Sony Playstation Vue online TV has gone nationwide in the U.S., and I've used it for a couple months, and over time they've expanded their reach to a broader range of platforms than at launch, including on Roku, IOS, Android and a web interface.

Over time, I've found the following results personally:

--my Google Chromecast Audio has gone in the drawer, because I could never get it to perform reliably from the Chrome browser, which is the main way I wanted to use it.

--my Google Chromecast has gone in the drawer, because I prefer to use a set-top TV box or stick with a remote control device controlling an on-screen menu, as opposed to using a phone or tablet to cast content to my TVs.

--Amazon Fire TV's have become my favorite OTT streaming device/platform, partly because I have an investment in the Amazon platform via Amazon Prime Music, partly because I think the Fire TV box is very easy and speedy to use and I've been able to sideload onto it all the Android apps I want to use. Not to mention they're very inexpensive.

--But for this holiday season, I passed on getting the 2nd gen Fire TV stick because neither it nor the current Fire TV box support the coming HDR video standard. Instead, on an upcoming trip to the U.S., I'm thinking of picking up a $69 Mi Box set-top box from Walmart that handles both 4K and HDR video along with running the newest Android TV (Android) platform.

Thank you for this timely update, John!

On other blogs the assertion was made that the 'android boxes' are really only for geek tweakers, and a Roku 3 or above was the way to go.

However we almost all have to use a VPN in Asia. I also have a spare Cisco (ex linksys) router, that is a 4K ready powerhouse, but has lost it's 'memory' that it is a linksys router after a brown out. My other devices can see it, but Linksys software cannot, so mayhaps I need to learn to flash DD-WRT to get that viable again, and then run my (PIA) VPN through that, instead of per home device as current.

Phew! And I don't even watch much TV since the internet really took off as an interactive medium (forums etc.)

I believe the new line of Roku devices has changed their naming style. From what I was reading the other day, the lowest Roku in the current line that supports both 4K and HDR video is now called the Premier + (or Plus). Lists for about $99, but presumably can be bought for somewhat less.

Re Android boxes, I think you need to distinguish between using that generic term to refer to things like a lot of Chinese brand set-top boxes that have the regular Android OS installed on them (the same as phones or tablets)  vs. a very small selection of boxes that run Google's new Android TV 6.0 OS, which is a specific Android version designed only for TV use. The latter is what the Mi Box is, and it's really average consumer friendly -- no geeks or tweaking required.

Re your Cisco router, a couple of things:

--not sure what you mean when you say "My other devices can see it, but Linksys software cannot."  So it is broadcasting and your wifi receivers in the house can see its wifi signal, but??

Anytime you've got a router problem, there are a couple of typical options.

1. Do a factory reset command that takes the router back to its default firmware. On Cisco/Linksys models, there's a specific sequence to follow that usually involves using an extended paperclip to press a little reset slot on the back and then a series of power on and offs. Google it if you haven't already tried that, believe it's called a "hard reset" and then the name of your brand.

2. Another option would be to download the latest version of firmware for your specific router model from the Cisco website and then reflash your router -- if you still have access to its settings menu via connecting it to a PC and then using the web browser interface. Go into the Admin tab, and choose Firmware update, and then pick the downloaded firmware file on your PC to install.

3. Would be to do the same thing with a different firmware like DD-WRT, but you first have to check on the DD-WRT website to determine if there's a version of their firmware that's available for your specific router model. (Both #2 and 3# above assume that your router doesn't have internal hardware damage of some kind that would prevent it from operating properly, firmware aside.

As for streaming 4K video right now, others here have reported that it's possible -- assuming you have the necessary hardware at home -- using the Netflix Thailand service for their pretty limited offerings of 4K right now. But I think trying to stream 4K from outside Thailand is going to remain a challenge for some time, as it typically requires 20-25 Mbps sustained download speed, and that's very hard to get for most international connections here.

The only thing preventing me looking at the Mi Box is the lack of ethernet port. I had issues with the Minix Neo + not being able to use 5G wi-fi so to have ethernet as a backup option meant I could still use it (before I got my F2 box). I won;t be upgrading for a year or 2, but I would definitely get something better featured or just use my NUC i7.

On 11/28/2016 at 10:13 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe the new line of Roku devices has changed their naming style. From what I was reading the other day, the lowest Roku in the current line that supports both 4K and HDR video is now called the Premier + (or Plus). Lists for about $99, but presumably can be bought for somewhat less.

Re Android boxes, I think you need to distinguish between using that generic term to refer to things like a lot of Chinese brand set-top boxes that have the regular Android OS installed on them (the same as phones or tablets)  vs. a very small selection of boxes that run Google's new Android TV 6.0 OS, which is a specific Android version designed only for TV use. The latter is what the Mi Box is, and it's really average consumer friendly -- no geeks or tweaking required.

Re your Cisco router, a couple of things:

--not sure what you mean when you say "My other devices can see it, but Linksys software cannot."  So it is broadcasting and your wifi receivers in the house can see its wifi signal, but??

Anytime you've got a router problem, there are a couple of typical options.

1. Do a factory reset command that takes the router back to its default firmware. On Cisco/Linksys models, there's a specific sequence to follow that usually involves using an extended paperclip to press a little reset slot on the back and then a series of power on and offs. Google it if you haven't already tried that, believe it's called a "hard reset" and then the name of your brand.

2. Another option would be to download the latest version of firmware for your specific router model from the Cisco website and then reflash your router -- if you still have access to its settings menu via connecting it to a PC and then using the web browser interface. Go into the Admin tab, and choose Firmware update, and then pick the downloaded firmware file on your PC to install.

3. Would be to do the same thing with a different firmware like DD-WRT, but you first have to check on the DD-WRT website to determine if there's a version of their firmware that's available for your specific router model. (Both #2 and 3# above assume that your router doesn't have internal hardware damage of some kind that would prevent it from operating properly, firmware aside.

As for streaming 4K video right now, others here have reported that it's possible -- assuming you have the necessary hardware at home -- using the Netflix Thailand service for their pretty limited offerings of 4K right now. But I think trying to stream 4K from outside Thailand is going to remain a challenge for some time, as it typically requires 20-25 Mbps sustained download speed, and that's very hard to get for most international connections here.

Yes. linksys have an app that allows access to the router. but it can't now  access the router. THB 9000 sitting idle. linksys are done anyway. let's call it cisco. if I can, I'd like to flash shareware. the  dd-wrt software for my wrt 1900 is past the beta stage. I just need to actually do it. linkys support was crap and my free warranty access expired. nothing nothing to lose but a company that lost the plot on looking after  its people. guess how that ends? 

Usually with a Linksys/Cisco router, you don't need any special app to access its settings, assuming the device is working properly.

If your PC is connected to the router, you just go to a web browser and enter the address:

Then enter either the default ID and password, or the custom ones you've already created for your own router, if you did.

The defaults are:  Enter “admin” in the Password field then leave the User name blank.

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=135561

If you can't access the above for some reason, here are the reset instructions to reset the router back to factor defaults:

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=139791

And if that doesn't work, there's a further so-called hard reset that's a bit more involved, but still easy to do.

https://www.lifewire.com/hard-reset-rule-for-routers-3971318

One way or another, even if you just want to flash your router with DD-WRT, you're still going to need to regain access to the router's settings functions one way or another.

I'm going to wander off the reservation for a moment.

The real question the OP needs to ask is how much effort to you want to put into this?

Android devices, plus Kodi are great, but they are far from plug and play. They take work.....a lot of work!

A DNS masking service on your router, and a Roku, or Apple TV become seamless, and they work just like you were in the US.

So, you don't have to limit yourself to one or the other as the fanboys would have you believe, just recognize the upsides and downsides of both options.

I'm a techie nerd and use Roku/Apple/Android so am pretty agnostic. But having said that, I'd probably rank my day to day usage as:

Roku-Apple-Android

Well, the original OP was asking about where to find Rokus here. And then DH lately was asking about problems with getting his router to work, which would be pertinent either for a Roku or Android device in terms of accessing geo-blocked content.

As I think I mentioned previously, I'm also multii-platform, with the except of Apple. And my order of use right now probably runs as

1. Amazon Fire devices

2. Android devices and soon perhaps a Mi TV box

3. Roku

It's kind of interesting, BTW...

In the U.S., ATT yesterday rolled out their long-awaited DirecTV Now service, and it's starting with a promotion of 100+ real legitimate U.S. cable channels, including MOST of the ones anyone would want, for $35 a month. All entirely online, month to month, no equipment, no contracts. Valid for U.S.IPs only.

Out of the gate, they're supporting pretty much every platform, including web browsers, except for Roku, which they won't be available on at launch that is actually happening today. But they are promising to bring the service to Roku somewhere down the road.

directv-now-channels.jpg

The $35 a month rate is a promotional one valid for an unspecified short time during the launch of the service. (Later it will go to the normal $60 rate for that package). But anyone who signs up now will get to keep the $35 promotional rate for that package as long as they remain a subscriber.

BTW, ATT also is offering two other promotional items at start:

--pay for 1 month service for any package, and get a free Amazon Fire TV stick.

--prepay for 3 months of service for any package, and get a free Apple TV device.

Of course, those could only be delivered to your address in the U.S.

I haven't heard of any particular issues with the Mi Box and wifi reception, including on the 5 GHz band. And in my case, the box would be sitting about 5 feet across the room from my wifi router. So I'm not expecting any issues.

My Neo was about a metre away from my AC1750 router. It's now in my drawer of old tech.

As to, where can you find Roku's here...the answer is you can't. Amazon, Roku et al won't ship them here, so you need to find a third party, family or friend, but that's not difficult.

On the DirectTV Now service, to me it looks another 'me too' offering. Playstation Vue, Sling look much the same. I've tried both of them, and to be honest the attraction of live TV doesn't really hook me because of the time difference.

I also dip in and out of USTVNOW, since I do during sports season like their DVR option

I know the OP asked about Roku but I'll just comment about the Apple TV4 because you can buy it in Thailand. I use mine all the time and Apple allow you to have multiple Apple IDs on it so I use that to download Apps from all the jurisdictions I want. I then use UnoTelly via my router to get around the IP address restrictions. There are some channels that require a US cable subscription but you can get around that by posting on the slingsharing site for what you want. I pay someone somewhere in the US (I've no idea where and son't care) $15 a month via PayPal for the channels I want - HBO, CNN and CNBC for example. If it's a mainstream channel as a Roku App it's probably also an Apple TV App

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

On the DirectTV Now service, to me it looks another 'me too' offering. Playstation Vue, Sling look much the same. I've tried both of them, and to be honest the attraction of live TV doesn't really hook me because of the time difference.

Well, I haven't tried DirecTV Now yet because it's only becoming available today, but you're dismissing it before understanding what it really offers. And that's coming from some who currently uses and likes Sling TV, and has tried PS View a couple of times.

First, at the promotional $35 rate and (I didn't specifically mention, but the image above show it, $5 options to add either HBO or Cinemax, channels that are $15 elsewhere) and 100+ legitimate cable channels, the ATT offering is far more comprehensive and a better price/channels value than either PS Vue or Sling. And there are quite a few other differences other than just cost  and channels.

DirecTV Now is supposed to have a look back function on most of its content, meaning you don't ONLY have to watch things live, but you can also watch them hours later or the next day, which deals with your time zones issue. Sling has some of that, but very limited. And PS View has quite a bit of that. Meanwhile, Sling just announced they're going to be adding a DVR function to their subscriptions soon, but they haven't done so yet, and it's not clear how much of their content will be available for DVR.

Also, PS Vue charges $5 or $10 extra for its subscription packages in the major city markets where it offers several of the major networks live (Fox, NBC, ABC). ATT's DirecTV Now packages are all going to include those same ABC, Fox and NBC network live streams in the major city markets as part of their basic subscription plans, in other words, not charging extra just to get the major network streams. Sling has Fox and NBC in its higher priced blue package only, and then charges extra still if you want to add in the live stream of ABC, again, only in a group of major city markets.

PS Vue is very fussy about needing to have the same IP address location on your home system and has pretty severe restrictions on being able to change that. That isn't any issue with Sling, and it looks like it won't be either with ATT, as they're stressing that their service/subscriptions will be available to users on all platforms -- computers, phones, tablets, Fire TVs, Smart TVs, IOS -- pretty much everything but Roku at launch.

DirectTV Now is supposed to be available with TWO concurrent streams per account. And then when you add in the promotional offers for a free Amazon Fire TV stick or an Apple TV box, that's a pretty hard offer to resist.  I do intend to subscribe to the $35, 100+ channel promotion, prepay 1 month to get an extra Fire TV stick and then see how it goes.

One downside to DirecTV now, AFAICT right now,  is that they appear to have zero NFL channel content, in addition to not having CBS (CBS for now is keeping all of its content for its own CBS All Access paid channel) or Showtime. No NFL Network or Red Zone, at least based on the partial channel lists they'd released as of yesterday. That's one of the reasons I like Sling is because for a $25 blue package and a $10 sports add-on totaling $35 per month, I'm getting NFL Network and NFL Red Zone.

But other than that, the channel offerings and pricing of DirecTV Now's $35, 100+ channel package blows away the rest of the competition -- at least for now.

Re Sling TV and their coming DVR beta for Roku devices:

If you’re a Roku user and a Sling TV subscriber, your experience is about to get a whole lot better. Sling announced today that it is going to roll out a new cloud DVR beta program to Roku users in December.

Sling TV is a service that offers live TV (and some on-demand) channels over the internet. Pricing starts at $20 a month, and that gets users access to live networks such as ESPN, AMC, and CNN.

The new cloud DVR program, which is invitation-only for now, will let Sling TV subscribers record programs to watch later. There is no 28-day restriction on recordings (something common on other cloud DVR services, like the PlayStation Vue), and users will have access to up to 100 hours of recording at no additional charge. It’s not clear what the charge will be (or if there will even be one), when the service officially launches.

The cloud DVR feature will be available to single-stream Sling subscribers (Sling Orange) and multi-stream Sling subscribers (Sling Blue). Sling also says that you can record multiple programs at once, so no need to worry about recording conflicts. The company did mention that DVR functionality won’t be available on all channels but didn’t specify which ones would be left out.

http://gizmodo.com/roku-is-about-to-get-a-lot-better-1789426915

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

Sorry. I presumed the Mi Box ran Andriod.

Well, for starters, wifi performance issues could just as likely be hardware related as OS related. So trying to make such judgments about two different boxes from two different manufacturers seems quite a reach.

Second, the Mi Box runs Android TV 6.0 OS...  I'm guessing your Neo does not.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In the U.S., ATT yesterday rolled out their long-awaited DirecTV Now service, and it's starting with a promotion of 100+ real legitimate U.S. cable channels, including MOST of the ones anyone would want, for $35 a month. All entirely online, month to month, no equipment, no contracts. Valid for U.S.IPs only.

Out of the gate, they're supporting pretty much every platform, including web browsers, except for Roku, which they won't be available on at launch that is actually happening today. But they are promising to bring the service to Roku somewhere down the road.

directv-now-channels.jpg

The $35 a month rate is a promotional one valid for an unspecified short time during the launch of the service. (Later it will go to the normal $60 rate for that package). But anyone who signs up now will get to keep the $35 promotional rate for that package as long as they remain a subscriber.

BTW, ATT also is offering two other promotional items at start:

--pay for 1 month service for any package, and get a free Amazon Fire TV stick.

--prepay for 3 months of service for any package, and get a free Apple TV device.

Of course, those could only be delivered to your address in the U.S.

AT&T launched their DirecTV Now service in the U.S. on Wednesday. Since this thread is mainly about Roku devices, and DirecTV Now doesn't even support Roku at launch, I've created a separate thread on DirecTV Now.

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, I haven't tried DirecTV Now yet because it's only becoming available today, but you're dismissing it before understanding what it really offers. And that's coming from some who currently uses and likes Sling TV, and has tried PS View a couple of times.

First, at the promotional $35 rate and (I didn't specifically mention, but the image above show it, $5 options to add either HBO or Cinemax, channels that are $15 elsewhere) and 100+ legitimate cable channels, the ATT offering is far more comprehensive and a better price/channels value than either PS Vue or Sling. And there are quite a few other differences other than just cost  and channels.

DirecTV Now is supposed to have a look back function on most of its content, meaning you don't ONLY have to watch things live, but you can also watch them hours later or the next day, which deals with your time zones issue. Sling has some of that, but very limited. And PS View has quite a bit of that. Meanwhile, Sling just announced they're going to be adding a DVR function to their subscriptions soon, but they haven't done so yet, and it's not clear how much of their content will be available for DVR.

Also, PS Vue charges $5 or $10 extra for its subscription packages in the major city markets where it offers several of the major networks live (Fox, NBC, ABC). ATT's DirecTV Now packages are all going to include those same ABC, Fox and NBC network live streams in the major city markets as part of their basic subscription plans, in other words, not charging extra just to get the major network streams. Sling has Fox and NBC in its higher priced blue package only, and then charges extra still if you want to add in the live stream of ABC, again, only in a group of major city markets.

PS Vue is very fussy about needing to have the same IP address location on your home system and has pretty severe restrictions on being able to change that. That isn't any issue with Sling, and it looks like it won't be either with ATT, as they're stressing that their service/subscriptions will be available to users on all platforms -- computers, phones, tablets, Fire TVs, Smart TVs, IOS -- pretty much everything but Roku at launch.

DirectTV Now is supposed to be available with TWO concurrent streams per account. And then when you add in the promotional offers for a free Amazon Fire TV stick or an Apple TV box, that's a pretty hard offer to resist.  I do intend to subscribe to the $35, 100+ channel promotion, prepay 1 month to get an extra Fire TV stick and then see how it goes.

One downside to DirecTV now, AFAICT right now,  is that they appear to have zero NFL channel content, in addition to not having CBS (CBS for now is keeping all of its content for its own CBS All Access paid channel) or Showtime. No NFL Network or Red Zone, at least based on the partial channel lists they'd released as of yesterday. That's one of the reasons I like Sling is because for a $25 blue package and a $10 sports add-on totaling $35 per month, I'm getting NFL Network and NFL Red Zone.

But other than that, the channel offerings and pricing of DirecTV Now's $35, 100+ channel package blows away the rest of the competition -- at least for now.

Don't get me wrong, not really dismissing it out of hand, it's just with all of these services they offer a raft of cable channels which I probably wouldn't have watched back home either.

I just find that they don't really offer me much over and above what I already get from Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, CBS & Vudu. I already leach HBO from my daughters Comcast account, so it's probably just that I'm already in 'content overload' LOL

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Don't get me wrong, not really dismissing it out of hand, it's just with all of these services they offer a raft of cable channels which I probably wouldn't have watched back home either.

I just find that they don't really offer me much over and above what I already get from Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, CBS & Vudu. I already leach HBO from my daughters Comcast account, so it's probably just that I'm already in 'content overload' LOL

Just from a money standpoint, presumably someone is paying for each of the services you mentioned, since none of them are free. Each one has a pay per month subscription (per year with Amazon) or pay per view in the case of VUDU. So someone could weigh their total costs in those areas against a 100+ channel, $38 a month DTVNow package.

What DTVN has that none of the services you mentioned above offer is access to many live sports and news networks that are entirely absent from all the services you mentioned above. The list of those with DTVN includes CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, a group of Fox networks, BBC News, Bloomberg, CSPAN, MLB, NBA TV, NHL, Fox Sports networks, and regional sports networks, depending on your billing address. That's a LOT of content, depending on one's interests.

Plus the option of only $5 a month extra to add either HBO or Cinemax, which is quite a deal for that content that is priced much higher elsewhere.

And for the kiddies, I should have mentioned, also a whole collection of multiple Disney and Nickelodeon channels included in the $38 package.

Also, in comparison, take DTVN's 100+ channels for $38 if you sign up during the introduction and compare that to what a lot of folks here are paying for cable Gold and Platinum packages that offer much less EN content at monthly prices that are double or higher.

• 7 months later...
On 30/11/2016 at 3:36 PM, SaintLouisBlues said:

I know the OP asked about Roku but I'll just comment about the Apple TV4 because you can buy it in Thailand. I use mine all the time and Apple allow you to have multiple Apple IDs on it so I use that to download Apps from all the jurisdictions I want. I then use UnoTelly via my router to get around the IP address restrictions. There are some channels that require a US cable subscription but you can get around that by posting on the slingsharing site for what you want. I pay someone somewhere in the US (I've no idea where and son't care) $15 a month via PayPal for the channels I want - HBO, CNN and CNBC for example. If it's a mainstream channel as a Roku App it's probably also an Apple TV App

I was a fairly happy Apple TV owner until about a year ago.  Have 3 of them (2 x ATV3 and 1 x ATV4).  The ATV3s now live permanently in my place in Malaysia and the ATV 4 sits in its box here and is basically used as a local streaming device when I'm travelling.  Plug it into a TV in a hotel and use its Bluetooth local Airplay connection to my iPhone to Airplay from the Netflix, iFlix or AIS Play apps on the phone.  

As a home streamer though, although it's very good at what it DOES do, the problem for me when comparing the ATV to devices such as the Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi 3S, Amazon Fire TV (all of which run Android TV with a UI that I really MUCH prefer over the regular [made for phones / tablets] mobile Android, even with the more limited app store) and even generic Android  boxes is the lack of apps for specific services that I use now, have used before and might want to use again, primarily:

• iFlix
  • HooQ
  • Kodi (which I use over Plex nowadays for all my local content) 
  • Amazon Prime Video (which might be worth returning to IF their 'international service' catalogue expands or if you wish to use a VPN to access regular Prime Video content in an Amazon account country)

All absent from the ATV and coming no time soon I think, except MAYBE for Prime Video if Apple / Amazon manage to finally bury the hatchet.

The Roku offers a similar more diversified spread of apps, just not sure I'd be that keen on the Roku interface and I'm content enough to stick with Nvidia Shields which I think are superb.

Edited by SooKee

On 4/15/2016 at 10:31 PM, JHolmesJr said:

I would NOT use a service like Borderlinx to shop/send from the U.S. In looking at their info:

--From the U.S., they appear to ONLY offer DHL shipping, which means high prices and the certainty that your product will be dutied by Customs. I got a quote from them that has a price four times what you'd pay by using either of the services below.

Better services for something like that are Planet Express or Shipito.