HCMC trip for SETV and Two Week Look Around

I am off to HCMC for two weeks to get a SETV and then a trip to the coast to Da Nang and/or

possibly Nha Trang. I will be arriving on a UK passport. After reading various reports I

understand I will not need to organize a visa and all I have to do is proceed directly to customs

and immigration upon my arrival. I have the information from the Thai consulate on the

documentation I will need to get printed out. But I do have a few questions.

1/ Can someone recommend a hotel in close proximity to the Thai Consulate. A 2-3 star type

place in the 1000 baht range.

After acquiring my visa I will like to check out the coast as a possible alternative to Thailand,

or a place to alternate back and forth to, possibly 6 months to a year in Thailand, 6 months in

Vietnam. I am thinking Da Nang and/or possibly Nha Trang.

2/ What is the best way to travel to the coast and back.

3/ Recommendations on which place is better for ex-pat living. Da Nang vs. Nha Trang.

(Cost of a single person apartment with a swimming pool, entertainment, food) Names of apartment

buildings I might want to check out.) Hotel recommendations to stay at while checking things out.

Once again 2-3 star 1000 baht range.I know some TV members live in Vietnam. Some swear it is

better/cheaper, Thailand 20 years ago etc, etc....I am the type of person who likes to learn from other

peoples experiences and then check things out for myself. With Vietnam bringing in a 1 year visa for

Americans I think other G20 countries cannot be far behind. I also know that if I am thinking/looking,

many others are doing the same. I am a very average person.

Thanks in advance for everyone's replies and information.

Edited by Ulic

Your asking a lot and with respect most is available online. Check out JETSTAR they do most flights from Viet city to city

First up fly to hcmc. Stay district 1. Ask around and go from there. Forget mui nie . shit hole. Forget train just fly.

When in Hanoi stay old quarter.

Vietnam is very cheap for booze and accomm.

Google taxi stuff from airports.

In Ho Chi Minh City, most will recommend staying in District 1. It is the most ex pat oriented area. I prefer to stay in a quieter area. I stay at the Minh Chau Hotel. You are correct that it is better to be close to the Thai Consulate. The traffic is pretty horrendous. I enjoy walking when the weather is not outrageously hot (or raining) and for me the Minh Chau is close enough to the consulate to walk. A taxi will probably take 10-20 minutes average because of the previously noted traffic. You can use Google Maps to see the location of the Minh Chau, and the distance from the hotel to the consulate.

My experience of the coastal areas is way too dated to be of interest.

EDIT: Read up on the taxi companies to use and those to avoid (and how to identify the fake Vinasun taxis)

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

Your asking a lot and with respect most is available online. Check out JETSTAR they do most flights from Viet city to city

First up fly to hcmc. Stay district 1. Ask around and go from there. Forget mui nie . shit hole. Forget train just fly.

My airline ticket is long booked and paid for to HCMC.

What I am looking for is a hotel name in HCMC that people have used.

A recommendation on which city is better Nha Trang or Da Nang and a hotel there.

The best way to travel from HCMC to the coast in Vietnam, train or bus. I am not

going to Hanoi. Yes I can book easily myself. Just looking for recommendations,

not some one to be a tour guide or hold my hand.

Edited by Ulic

My airline ticket is long booked and paid for to HCMC.

What I am looking for is a hotel name in HCMC that people have used.

A recommendation on which city is better Nha Trang or Da Nang and a hotel there.

The best way to travel from HCMC to the coast in Vietnam, train or bus. I am not

going to Hanoi. Yes I can book easily myself. Just looking for recommendations,

not some one to be a tour guide or hold my hand.

You are looking for someone to "hold your hand"?

If you stay hcmc there are zillion hotels. Just walk in and ask. Otherwise use agoda.

Bus in Vietnam is crazy and risky.

Have you bothered to Google beach resorts. So much detail available. In hcmc stay district 1. Rest is boring.