Friend on visa overstay 3 yrs with missing passport

ETD I believe will only allow travel to UK, and UK embassy are unlikely to issue anything else.

Uk is only option.

I assisted a friend in a similar if not quite so deep clag, that was outcome. If he does not have cash for ticket or fine, expect time in jail until he does

I flew to Cambodia on an ETD. The British Embassy did ask me to show some residency in Thailand though rather than the UK to justify not returning to Blighty. I showed them a Thai DL which was fine.

Last time I used an ETD was to fly from Thailand to Korea and back. My passport was in the re-new process so I had no idea if it would be back in time for the flight.

The UK Embassy issued an ETD but required me to show tickets bookings etc for journey and the ETD had the permitted journey typed into it. I was told that if I had to another journey before my new passport returned I would require another ETD.

They also cut the corner of my old passport.

Thanks again everyone who has given options for my friend's overstay dilemma. I have now advised him point blank to get the embassy involved asap, and arrange for an ETD. The only photo id he has is a photocopy of his missing PP. One of his friends last week got picked up by the police and is now in IDC on 18 months overstay. My friend has seen the warning signs, and is now up to him to adhere to the advice given and let the embassy help to get his fine paid and on a flight back to UK.

• Like 2

He is Swedish, walking along a main road in Banglampoo area, and intercepted by 3 BIB on bikes. They must have recognised him somehow?? Up against the wall, frisked, and taken away. Do the BIB have a farang most wanted photo poster? They knew who he was, he didn't resist and he was gone.. I will keep posted what happens to him as I receive more news.

OP your "friend" has ONE option. Fly to UK after paying fine. Mainly because he has ZERO money.

Fly somewhere in Asia and do what? Even if no ban he cannot return and support himself

its possible to survive in rural cambodia with nothing or close to nothing. you could probably get by just having foreigner status.

i would not advise it though unless you really have nothing to lose and are free of fear

wonder what happens if hes jailed in thailand and cant pay the fine or return ticket. does he just rot in jail forever? is there a time limit?

Edited by fey

Dont know if its as bad as that but without someone to go and see you you are pretty much left alone.

You do need outside help to get things sorted.

I believe there is a daily figure that adds up to eventually pay your 'fine' but dont quote me.

You still have to find a way to get your fare paid and ticket issued etc.

Without a phone or outside help I have no idea what the situation is.

OP your "friend" has ONE option. Fly to UK after paying fine. Mainly because he has ZERO money.

Fly somewhere in Asia and do what? Even if no ban he cannot return and support himself

its possible to survive in rural cambodia with nothing or close to nothing. you could probably get by just having foreigner status.

i would not advise it though unless you really have nothing to lose and are free of fear

wonder what happens if hes jailed in thailand and cant pay the fine or return ticket. does he just rot in jail forever? is there a time limit?

There is no time limit at the Immigration Detention Center, IDC, in Bangkok. If he is arrested, and no one will ever come forward to help (friends, family etc.) he will remain in prison until that happens. People are being held there for years. A korean was in for his 15th year when I was there briefly.

Some organizations may offer some help after a few years, but that happens only if you are extremely lucky. The UK embassy does not provide any financial help, but will assist in other ways, such as contacting families etc.

Friend of mine was in similar situation 3 years. Did a lost PP report to police then with the document supplied applied at Brit embassy for new PP. When he got it , he just paid an agent Bht 20.000 and got a new 1 yr visa. It was that easy.

The point being that how does the Embassy know you are there unless you or a friend tells them.

Lest go really wild here and suggest that the Embassy should make contact once a month to determine how many citizens are in IDC.

Each case to be dealt with or ignored depending on the reason for being in IDC.

Someone who has been arrested for overstay and drugs problems? As they say in Russia, Toughky Shitzy.

Someone who has had health problems and unknowing of the possible ways to get around that problem has ended up on overstay.

You come up with the answer because I can't.

The point being that how does the Embassy know you are there unless you or a friend tells them.

Lest go really wild here and suggest that the Embassy should make contact once a month to determine how many citizens are in IDC.

Someone who has been arrested for overstay and drugs problems? As they say in Russia, Toughky Shitzy.

Someone who has had health problems and unknowing of the possible ways to get around that problem has ended up on overstay.

The IDC gives a message to the embassy when farangs are imprisoned. So the embassy knows who and how many are in there at all times. The embassies then take contact with the inmates (cause they can`t take contact themselves, the phones are taken away) after a few days, and offer their help.

Edited by thaibreaker

The Thai police routinely inform Embassy staff of people arrested and detained.

The fine (usually quite a bit less than 20,000 baht by the way) is forgiven at the rate of 200 baht per day you are imprisoned. However, unless you can raise the money somehow for the one-way ticket home (usually an expensive ticket on your national carrier) you are stuck indefinitely. There are charities that help a few people who have been there s long time, but even a year in IDC is a fate I would not wish on my worst enemy.

I have a query, by the way. Does anyone know if it is feasible to donate air miles to the charities that assist in getting these poor wretches home?

He is Swedish, walking along a main road in Banglampoo area, and intercepted by 3 BIB on bikes. They must have recognised him somehow?? Up against the wall, frisked, and taken away. Do the BIB have a farang most wanted photo poster? They knew who he was, he didn't resist and he was gone.. I will keep posted what happens to him as I receive more news.

After the new rules went into effect as of March 20th, I have been expecting a 2nd phase to start an attempt to track down more of the overstayers that did not take the hint that they were getting more serious.... I am wondering maybe this is the beginning? Was the person wanted just for overstaying? Or maybe he did not pay a bill and someone reported him to police (hoping police would help encourage collection)?

I still think they could easily track 30% of the overstayers down, they have photos on entry - passport details (descriptions), and many people are located at or close to the last location they gave on their arrival card or last report.