Best way to transport big bike from Udon Thani to BKK?

SS1

Finally found the bike I've been looking for for a long time, but it's located in Udon Thani and I live in Bangkok. I will be going there to purchase it in a week or two and wondering what would be the best option for getting it to Bangkok considering a. security and b. price.

I did a bit of research, reading older threads and it seems that these are my options:

1. Ride it to BKK.

Perhaps the most straighforward, fly to Udon and ride it back. However, I'm not entirely sure but it seems like the 600km trip is mainly boring straight roads? So seems a bit like a waste of tyres on this kind of bike; it's a KTM supermoto so it would be OK but it's not made exactly for long trips on the highway. Or are there interesting places on the way and nice roads to ride, to make it bit of an adventure instead?

However, the only thing is that I don't have my bike gear here yet (except helmet) so I'd be riding with casual wear. My friends are bringing all back from Europe in a couple of weeks. Also the bike comes with many original parts as extra which need to be posted anyways.

2. Put it on a train

I read the threads about it here. Seems like a possible option but saw some warnings about how they handle the bikes and may damage it. The bike only weighs around 135kg but it's worth over 400k. Not sure how much this costs and whether it's a viable option?

3. Send it by Thai post.

Seems like a viable option, anyone know how much it costs? I would still be a little worried about them damaging it.

4. Rent a pickup truck and drive there and back.

Maybe the best option. Rent a 2-seater pickup truck and transport the bike with all its extra equipment. Anyone know some rental shops that hire these kind of vehicles? After Googling for a while, didn't find many options. A Toyota Hilux Single Cab would probably do the job. As we are traveling with my girlfriend, this would also save on the personal travel costs.

Yes 135 kg is viable for Logispost.

Cost?

I had evaluated some prices in another thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/784169-posting-scooter/#entry8804482

Big bike costs between 3300 to 5100.

Udon Thani to Bangkok is not the longest distance so somewhere in between.

With such a valuable good:

Get informed about insurance options (unfortunately only up to 200'000).

Remove the most critical parts like mirrors.

Completely wrap the bike except wheels (it must remain pushable).

http://www.thailandpost.com/index.php?page=article_detail&topic_id=64&group_id=47&addon=product

Edited by KhunBENQ

There are some transporters - I'm sure I posted one here before.

The best place to find them is in Facebook groups - there are a lot of Thai groups, get your girlfriend to post or search through.

However, like you say - you could hire a truck if if it works out - the transporters I have seen are very good - bike lifts, covered trucks - but at the end of the day - any truck and a pair of ratchet straps will do the same job.

1. Have ridden bikes all over so this works good.

2. Done this many times; works well. Cheapest. <B1200 for cbr150. Guess under B2.5K for yours.

[fly up; ride bike to train station for overnight sleeper BKK, arrive 6AM.] Done.

3. PO; used this before and have 142cc bike in transit [udon==>Pattaya] now. B2550, plus B150 they protective wrap. <1 week.

Ubon to BKK considerably cheaper/quicker than Ubon to Patty.

4. Traveling with your GF so yea, whatever she prefers.

You actually considering (1.) riding it back with her and luggage aboard?

pic?

& curious, what kind of riding/roads are suitable for a supermoto type bike.

You must like race track right?

Edited by papa al

Thanks for the replies. Seems like you can get a pickup from BKK for around 1200 baht per day so this might be the easiest/cheapest option.

1. Have ridden bikes all over so this works good.

2. Done this many times; works well. Cheapest. <B1200 for cbr150. Guess under B2.5K for yours.

[fly up; ride bike to train station for overnight sleeper BKK, arrive 6AM.] Done.

3. PO; used this before and have 142cc bike in transit [udon==>Pattaya] now. B2550, plus B150 they protective wrap. <1 week.

Ubon to BKK considerably cheaper/quicker than Ubon to Patty.

4. Traveling with your GF so yea, whatever she prefers.

You actually considering (1.) riding it back with her and luggage aboard?

pic?

& curious, what kind of riding/roads are suitable for a supermoto type bike.

You must like race track right?

I think my gf would fly back or take the train if I ride it, and we would EMS the extra luggage back to Bangkok. The train sounds like an option too then but gotta add our tickets on top of the price so again pickup may be best, maybe can check out some national parks on the way.

For a supermoto, most suitable roads are twisty mountain roads or tight race tracks, that's when they are in their element. They are also great in the city, light and agile. For this bike it's not a problem of course to ride it to BKK, but just thinking if its a long straight road it may be pretty boring (well not really with a new bike! biggrin.png ) and I'm not too keen to ride a long trip without proper gear.

Light weight & big power sounds super fun.

Yeeeha!

Twisty mountain road or tight track is the perfect environment for any bike.

...yust papa's opinion.

post-174911-0-30500400-1460968705_thumb.

2 fav things?

Edited by papa al

Personally, if you are not going to ride it back, i'd do the pick up truck thing.

Turn it into a road trip/adventure/little holiday.

Drive straight past UT, 25 minutes later you're in Nong Khai and on the Mekong. Have a night on the town by the river. Turn off the No. 2 at Korat and come into BKK via Pak Chong ans some decent scenery. Or follow the Mekong rd down to Ubon and then across.

If i buy a bike, anywhere, i either ride it back, or truck it back, regardless of distances. Lands End to John O Groats, it's being moved by ME, and not some transportation company.

Personally, if you are not going to ride it back, i'd do the pick up truck thing.

Turn it into a road trip/adventure/little holiday.

Drive straight past UT, 25 minutes later you're in Nong Khai and on the Mekong. Have a night on the town by the river. Turn off the No. 2 at Korat and come into BKK via Pak Chong ans some decent scenery. Or follow the Mekong rd down to Ubon and then across.

If i buy a bike, anywhere, i either ride it back, or truck it back, regardless of distances. Lands End to John O Groats, it's being moved by ME, and not some transportation company.

Saw Rt.24 is now divided 4-lane thru Buriram prov. Anybody know about Buriram east to Ubon? Very danger b4.

Not a bad way to go if you can tolerate riding in a cage days on end..

Edited by papa al

just ride the thing plenty ofroads tht will meet your lofty expectations of whattypeof roads you should ride it own. But some time you cannot avoid a 4 lane divided road. Get a regular map and check out the various routes and then check on google maps

I've tossed my bike on the train around twenty times and to date I've never had an issue. I do take a picture of my bike at the train station prior to show no physical damage and of them loading it. I stay with them until it is tied down and secure. I have my own motorcycle straps to secure it. However, It is usually difficult to get off the train prior to them unloading it.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...