Songkran death toll highest in a decade with 442 people killed during seven-day span

webfact

Police checks over songkkran. I have driven every evening and not seen a single check point, what I have seen though is more and more motorcyclists not wearing helmets, more the 2 people on a small motorbikes. Bikes and cars with no rear lights, car with fog lights on and/or main beam lights on,. Police have set duties for that day so they ignore what they have not been assigned that day. And 8 p.m.they all seem to go home.

They maybe fog lights to us. But here they are just 'extra' lights. Nobody really care about all these deaths, and if you told a bunch of Thais that the yearly death-toll was 26000, they almost certainly wouldn't believe you anyway. Check back in 10 years, nothing will have changed.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news....

beatdeadhorse.gif

Poll Reflects Success

The latest NIDA Poll shows 97.3% of Thais* think the Peace & Order Trap has improved the roads during the Songkran period. A spokesman for Gen. General Generalson, speaking on behalf of the Trap, said "This shows more police wasting time and pretty traffic cones are a world-leading solution to solving problems in a way only the good and true Thai can understand."

* Poll based on 1000 good people.

Gen Anupong has ordered all provinces study their information and propose amendments to laws within the next 5 months so that new measures can be implemented in time for the New Year’s holiday.What a joke they are more interested in women being scantly clothed than tell people to put helmets on, and underaged kids on bikes ,drive the right side of the road and last but least looking right when you come out of a road while on a bike.

No, In Thailand you must look left first when turning left out of a road junction on a bike. This is because so many motorbikes & tuktuks and even the odd car will cut the corner and turn right completely on the wrong side of the road.

Another full mouthed campaign by the Government, that didn't work!

But it is more important anyways, not to dance provocatively and dress in traditional attire, play no loud music and drink no beer INSTEAD of enforcing THE LAW!

There are laws in place, that SHOULD prevent drunk driving!

But not in this country, where the police- force is the biggest corruption- machine around!

The blind, leading the blind!

These figures are to be expected with the volume of motorcycles on the road.

There are far, far more on the roads of Indonesia and Vietnam. And yet both have lower tolls by a margin.

Cant talk for indonesia, but Vietnam each time I have been there the police seem to be doing there job, better and better it really is leaving this place sinking further and further down the swanee.

Really? I've lived in Ho Chi Minh City for over 10 years and have noticed no improvement in police behaviour there at all. At every red light if I'm at the front I'm always the last person to start moving simply because I always wait for the light to turn green. I see police daily on point duty at major junctions waving people through red lights without any thought to the safety of other road users. I could add more but I have to go to work.

Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit noted that a higher rate of travel may have been a factor in the higher instance of accidents on roads, pointing out that overall the public was seen adhering to road laws.

Or overall road laws have no effect on road accidents - maybe because of ineffective road design,maintenance and enforcement?

There was a 54% increase in the number of tourist deaths last year in Thailand reported by Thailand’s Bureau of Prevention and Assistance in Tourist Fraud. The main cause of death was road accidents at 41%, followed by 11% by swimming and boating, 7% by congenital disease, 5% by suicide and 36% by other causes.

Is that annoying waste of water really worth all the deaths, injuries and angry tourists who cut their vacation short in Thailand and traveled to another country so they could be dry and comfortable?

There are far, far more on the roads of Indonesia and Vietnam. And yet both have lower tolls by a margin.

Cant talk for indonesia, but Vietnam each time I have been there the police seem to be doing there job, better and better it really is leaving this place sinking further and further down the swanee.

I believe another factor is that Thailand does have better roads. If you improve roads but not the driving skills and policing then both speed and overtaking increase and you inevitably get more accidents, more deaths and more injuries.

UK, roughly the same size population, faster roads, more cars, year to date to 18th April 2016 - total fatalities was 101.

Thailand 7 days in April = 442 and that excludes casualties who died either on the way to hospital or in hospital.

Not same same and very different.

Doesn't surprise me, I have just been on Sukhumvit between Big C South Pattaya and the Bus Station, loads of pick ups 10/20 kids in the back along with barrels of water, how do you educate them. The Police check point outside Big C has gone, surely they should be pulling them over, it's an accident waiting to happen.

But, but, but...think of all the shirtless foreigners that the BIB kept off the streets of Thailand during the holidays. I wonder if it has every occurred to TBTP that assigning the majority of the cops to patrol the streets for traffic violation might save lives instead of concentrating on protecting the delicate sensibilities of HiSo thais from the scourge of pesky foreigners simply having fun. ermm.gif

Nope...I didn't think so either. Nevermind. Let the road carnage continue unabated. Mai bpen rai.

Edited by connda

Oh gosh. Nothing will ever change here will it?

OK, so a few new fixed speed cameras have been put up, mostly in places where it's already quite safe to drive at high speed (such as on the Bang Pa-in to Bang-Na expressway km 5) and then there's the occasional mobile speed camera such as at km 179 in Pak Chong where I was mailed a notice to pay a 400 Baht fine a month after getting caught. Then there are ridiculous rules like you can turn right from the middle lane from 6-9am but if you try doing so at 9.30am or an officer catches you changing lanes after you've made the turn he will threaten you with a fine even though you are legitimately turning into a shopping mall entrance located just 50m from the turn!

However, overall nothing has changed. Enforcement just isn't there. I'm about to upload a video onto Youtube that I took with my webcam from an idiot who drove a moped against the flow of traffic at relatively high speed in the fast lane last Wednesday, 13th of April around 11pm as I was heading home after a business meeting and dinner.

I have seen a lot in Thailand but this put the icing on the cake. It seems to be getting worse and nobody cares.

Don't u mean returning home from a massage an a karaoke bar.

The police/military were too busy with more important things. You know like raiding bars with bikini ladies, stopping any "wet-shirts", improper attire, sexy clothing, sexy dancing. Yes sir their priorities were in the right place, NOT!

Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit noted that a higher rate of travel may have been a factor in the higher instance of accidents on roads, pointing out that overall the public was seen adhering to road laws.

Or overall road laws have no effect on road accidents - maybe because of ineffective road design,maintenance and enforcement?

There was a 54% increase in the number of tourist deaths last year in Thailand reported by Thailand’s Bureau of Prevention and Assistance in Tourist Fraud. The main cause of death was road accidents at 41%, followed by 11% by swimming and boating, 7% by congenital disease, 5% by suicide and 36% by other causes.

Bunk. While driving in the city or highways, on a good day I can point out flagrant driving infractions at of rate of more than 1 every 15 seconds, and that's being highly conservative. In all my travels I've never seen abject stupidity on the road as bad as Thailand, although I am aware that there are other backward countries that are close runners up. The overall public does anything but adhere to the road laws, no less exhibit even a modicum of civility - it's everyone for themselves. I suggest that the DPM sit in front of a CCTV camera attached to a radar gun for a few minutes with a traffic safety officer and review the bizarre driving habits of his fellow countrymen. It's that 'head in the sand' attitude that keeps the mortality rates so high in the first place, and the complete lack of will to actively police the roads using patrol cars. Some things, I seriously doubt, will ever change. This is one of them imho.

They should give each Thai licensed to drive a 6 months mandatory driving classes and a final test they must pass before issue of a license. Then a complete driving test. Along with police getting out of these pit stops and stopping them speeding when it happens along with bigger fines. I was fined 400 baht for going 120 kph, I could laugh it off.

I was fined 400 Baht for going 133 in a 90km/h zone, which of course doesn't have any speed limit signs. I think they only fine you if you are caught doing more than 120.

However, dangerous driving, drink driving, driving the wrong way down a road, not wearing seatbelts, too many people riding in the tray of a pickup and a whole list of other offences are generally much more dangerous and rarely cracked down upon.

You don't consider 43kph ,or nearly 50%, over the speed limit as dangerous/reckless driving.....I do. Should be locked up and car crushed.

When Songkran arrives every year I have a simple strategy, If I am not leaving the country, I'm not leaving the house. There are a number of reasons for this but chiefly it is for safety reasons and certainly road safety. I think the incredible thing is not that the road death toll is so high. The incredible thing is that it is not so much higher. Drink driving, speeding, tailgating, driver fatigue, failure to wear seat belts, failure to wear helmets, passengers in the rear of pick-up trucks, and on and on. Of course there is little law enforcement as well. As with many issues in this country it is not about lack of laws but simply the lack of enforcement.There also probably needs to be more driver education. A little more carrot and a lot more stick.

And yet you fail to notice that the death toll is lower during the 7 dangerous days. Good thing you stay inside.....you may be contributing to the lower road toll.

When Songkran arrives every year I have a simple strategy, If I am not leaving the country, I'm not leaving the house. There are a number of reasons for this but chiefly it is for safety reasons and certainly road safety. I think the incredible thing is not that the road death toll is so high. The incredible thing is that it is not so much higher. Drink driving, speeding, tailgating, driver fatigue, failure to wear seat belts, failure to wear helmets, passengers in the rear of pick-up trucks, and on and on. Of course there is little law enforcement as well. As with many issues in this country it is not about lack of laws but simply the lack of enforcement.There also probably needs to be more driver education. A little more carrot and a lot more stick.

Yes sir , a lot more stick and fines

and prison for starters. Not sure about carrots unless you equate the brain of a Thai person with that of a donkey. You can lead a donkey with a carrot

A total ban on all Alcohol sales would certainly help every countries traffic fatality rates, but drugs are big business and Alcohol will continue to be sold and the carnage continues, I'm all for a total alcohol ban every day of the year.

Never happen though.

Followed by a public beheading of all who fail to follow your decree?

Seems there are a few like you trying to force your way of life down the throats of people who are otherwise quite happy.

Well said.

I was scared too but decided that I would head over to Cambodia with the family, starting about a day before the mad dash out of Bangkok. First night we spent at a nice resort just outside of Trat and the highway out of BKK (Bangkok-Chonburi motorway) didn't have a whole lot of traffic yet. I think everyone was waiting to save 30-60 Baht by starting their journey after midnight that night as tolls were exempted from the 9th until the 17th.

Crossed the border the next day, went to Sihanoukville then Phnom Penh and Koh Kong back into Thailand the same way we came. Traffic on the Cambodian side was as usual, not any more congested than what I expected it to be except in Phnom Penh, which has pretty bad traffic these days. Was surprised to learn that the Cambodian government bans water throwing in Phnom Penh, so it appeared to be a

\

Back to Bangkok on the 13th, when traffic was a little busy especially in the other direction, starting around Klaeng in Rayong, but wasn't too bad at all. Didn't see any accidents on the way (which is unusual for a long-distance trip in Thailand) and then Bangkok was nearly empty.

As I've already mentioned in another reply, saw some maniac driving against the flow of traffic towards another car and then me in the right hand lane of a suburban Bangkok road. Hadn't seen that before in Thailand, despite all the insane driving I have seen here over the years but I stayed out of trouble at least.

Along the way, there was almost no water throwing (I guess kids don't like standing out alongside busy highways trying to throw water at vehicles passing at 100km/h) although I did see quite a few pickup trucks with people at the back heading into town centres, including one poor guy who had some kind of facial tumour, guess the guy just wanted to have fun.

Then you must have missed a lot. All the SEA nations have their form of Songkran, Cambodia. Laos, Myanmar included.

Can't talk for Indonesia or Vietnam, but in Sangkha, Surin Province the cops were well and truly out...breath testing all and sundry. I sat in a restaurant watching and either the machines didn't work or nobody was over the limit. From my discussion with Thai mates....most would not have been drinking and driving....why when you can get on the pi$$ with family who live close by generally speaking?They aren't stupid..why drink and drive when you can drink and sleep?

Edited by Mudcrab

Gov talk crap, police don't work, so how will it ever change...It will not, why, gov talks crap, police don't work and the populous don't give a stuff about anything......UNTIL someone has to be blamed for their stupidity, then the shit hits the fan cos it wasn't their fault, always someone else fault...

Yes, with all the HYPE we have read about it will be safer this year....Total crap....Police do not work, populous have no fear about the BiB...None...Crazy stuff..

Let's be honest, if Thailand had law and order like any western country would there be enough westerners interested in the place to have a forum like this? I think not. It's all part of Thainess, like it or not.

What nonsense - there are a ton of westerners in Indonesia and in Vietnam (and very active forums). Indonesia: 15.3 deaths per 100,000 people, Vietnam: 24.5, Thailand: 36.2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Blaming this death toll on "Thainess" is a complete copout, it's a broken legal system and zero enforcement combined with a lack of skills. The roads in Thailand are far, far better than Indonesia, but a cop there will pull you up if you spin through a red light or roar wildly down a highway. Not so here.

And the lack of respect for the law goes all the way up - you don't like the government, change it with guns and tanks, and so on.

Indonesia also has a functioning and developing democracy which actually works for the people (most of the time ..) and a very active anti-korupsi agency that actually arrests people and charges them.

Until the rule of law is allowed to grow and mature in Thailand the mayhem and gore will continue.

Indonesia more corrupt than Thailand

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015

In Indonesia you bluntly buy your drivers licence and you job as well.

Is that annoying waste of water really worth all the deaths, injuries and angry tourists who cut their vacation short in Thailand and traveled to another country so they could be dry and comfortable?

Please provide a link to the number of deaths, injuries and angry tourists who cut their vacation short due to presumably Songkran celebrations.

Most would have come her FOR Songkran.

As they do EVERY year.

In a land where people have a total disregard for their own and others safety, where a good number don't even have a licence, drive without helmets and think the highway code is a pop bad, then yes.