Thai Spirit Houses. What do the various figurines represent?

BookMan

I'm sorry I cannot tell about the figurs, but of merely common interest, I have some photos from "starting" a set of Spirit Houses.
A friend of mine took-over a restaurant, and as the leased land had no Spirit Houses, my girlfriend and I decided to gift a pair for good luck – lack of Spirit Houses might be why the previous owner did not succeed that well. The process included an old shaman to come and open the houses, and chase the spirits in there, which was done by both fireworks and shouting rough words, and well as payers and lots of delicious food; we got a list of what was needed, including a special-order pig head. The shaman set the date – from astrology and numerology – and we should begin the ceremony at sunrise:

post-122720-0-31275800-1461147157_thumb.

Figurs are placed in position in the two Spirit Houses

post-122720-0-45751600-1461147220_thumb.

Lots of delicious food for the spirits, including a pig head

post-122720-0-48176900-1461147339_thumb.

The "owner" has to be present (left), connected with cotton trad to the spirit house whilst the shaman prays

post-122720-0-68010700-1461147422_thumb.

Job completed – the owner and his guests had to eat whatever food the spirits left uneaten – however, we skipped the raw pig head...smile.png

The zebra one is starting to make sense.. Safety. Maybe not always road related though

Try this one!!!:

A zebra statue is a popular offering meant for a roadside spirit shrine. People who believe their wishes have been granted by the power of a shrine will repay it with a zebra statue. We assumed this was probably because Thai deities like exotic animals but, according to archaeologist Assoc Prof Srisak Vanliphodom, a zebra represents safety as the animal is linked to pedestrian crossings and is therefore auspicious.

The red drink is thought to symbolise blood, and so gives energy to the spirits.

There are various theories about the zebras. One is that zebra crossings are a safe place to cross the road. (Try saying that with a straight face!) And so a gift of a zebra helps to ensure a safe journey.

This would be considered in Christianity as idol worship.

All Christians should take note.

Many Christians wear and worship Criusifix, is this not an idol. We should not, in this case confuse worshipping "Idols", with worshipped "Faulse I dolls". This enters a new dimension of theological and philosophical debate. Irrespective of the religions you take into account. What you refer to is is in the Ten Commandments.. Given to Moses..and part of the JEWISH religion.

I have no qualms in combining Christianity and Buddhism. Or any other that encouraged harmony.

Sometime ago I was surprised to hear from a Christian colleague of mine that Christians consider Catholics to be idol worshipers. Christians do have the crucifix in their houses of worship and they also wear them but you will not see statues of Jesus, Mary Joseph or the other saints. Christians consider this idol worship.

So I asked him, "so you guys are the only ones that I've got it right?" He said yes I said we'll see won't we.

Hey I was raised Catholic and practicing Buddhism where does that leave me 555.

re

Why do some houses have ladders for the spirits?

ive often wondered why as well but ive no idea why sad.png

dave2

There are two kind of Spirit Houses, often seen next to each other.

One type has one post that is quite high, and the other has four posts and a ladder.

The one is for House Ghosts, and the other (and I think it's the one with the landder) for the Land Ghosts.

It's important (for believers) to clear all "old" spirits from land and house, and as the spirits need a place to stay, they can inhabit the spirit house. You will need a shaman to clean the land and monks to clean the house. To keep the spirits inside their houses, you need to take good care and feed them, for example with red Fanta; which seem to be the preferred ghost-drink...smile.png

I have heard the red Fanta represents blood?

re

dave2

One type has one post that is quite high, and the other has four posts and a ladder.

The one is for House Ghosts, and the other (and I think it's the one with the landder) for the Land Ghosts.

It's important (for believers) to clear all "old" spirits from land and house, and as the spirits need a place to stay, they can inhabit the spirit house. You will need a shaman to clean the land and monks to clean the house. To keep the spirits inside their houses, you need to take good care and feed them, for example with red Fanta; which seem to be the preferred ghost-drink...smile.png

....and the green Fanta represents Martian blood.

re

dave2

Here ya go... http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/374170/

re

dave2

–That's "aliens"; i.e. farangs...blink.png

zebras could be re-incarnated soi dogs who have stepped up after not biting people or causing problems

good karma have them stripes and they serve people now rather then being unwanted strays

Many Christians wear and worship Criusifix, is this not an idol. We should not, in this case confuse worshipping "Idols", with worshipped "Faulse I dolls". This enters a new dimension of theological and philosophical debate. Irrespective of the religions you take into account. What you refer to is is in the Ten Commandments.. Given to Moses..and part of the JEWISH religion.

I have no qualms in combining Christianity and Buddhism. Or any other that encouraged harmony.

Sometime ago I was surprised to hear from a Christian colleague of mine that Christians consider Catholics to be idol worshipers. Christians do have the crucifix in their houses of worship and they also wear them but you will not see statues of Jesus, Mary Joseph or the other saints. Christians consider this idol worship.

So I asked him, "so you guys are the only ones that I've got it right?" He said yes I said we'll see won't we.

You were raised a Catholic and think "Catholics" are not "Christians"?! Wow. That'll sure come as a surprise to the Pope and over a billion Catholics... Newsflash - Catholics ARE Christians, too. Duh. As for idol worship, there are some sects which formally consider Catholics idol-worshipers; in the main Protestant sects, while they don't generally put statuary in their churches as the Catholics & Greek & Russian Orthodox do, do NOT actually take the position that Catholics are "idol worshipers". Stop posting religious rubbish. If you don't know what you're talking about, best to just keep quiet (or go back to discussing what this thread was actually about).

As for your last question, it's your faith, where do you want it to "leave you"? Some would tell you Christianity & Buddhism are not necessarily mutually exclusive; others that Buddhism isn't really a "religion" in the first place. But given the ignorance, if you're really interested, 'best you actually put some effort into the religious

study you apparently missed growing up.

Silly. No. It's not an idol, and it's worn simply as an expression of faith, not an object of worship. Christians don't "worship" the cross. It's simply an important religious symbol. And I think you know that.

I am sure the zebras are just because they are cute & the householder hopes they may amuse the spirits. Some represent farm animals for good luck on the countryside and some like plaster old people icons represent praying for ancestors like they and the Chinese do around Song Kran. Spirit houses and figurines have nought to do with Buddhism. They are throwbacks to Animist and Spiritualist beliefs that predate both Buddhism & Hinduism in Asia but have been grandfathered into later religions the same as Easter eggs, Rabbits and gift giving have been mixed in with Christian symbolism for Easter & Christmas, previously Spring planting and Winter solstice festivals.

Interesting to me also, are the number of little chrome Christian "fish" decals on the back of Thai cars in some districts, indicating that the occupants are other than Buddhists. Watch for them. There are hundreds around Catholic schools at school end time and once you start to recognise them and start to notice them on cars you follow in traffic, you will be surprised how many Christian Thais there must be. Note: I am an observer of humanity. I do not follow or belong to any religion.

Edited by The Deerhunter

You should take note.

There is no idol worship it is a spirit house.

The clue is in the name

Why should all Christians take note? Do you think your god will burn you in hell for having a spirit house on your property? I thought Jesus and the Christian god were the only true gods and all the other 4,2000 plus religions were wrong and evil? If you don't believe it the spirit house and spirits then whats the harm in having a spirt house on your property?

I had some crazy hill tribe Christian family 'foundation orphanage' move into my old house.. the wife was not very nice person at all.. and very annoying. She really freaked out when she saw the spirit house like it was pure evil.. and she would not go anywhere near it or even look at it!

We are don't believe in any religion.. we only had the spirit house as they look nice and to make sure other Thai neighbours knew we respected their culture. So it had not been blessed by the village shaman or had any rituals etc.

She was really freaked out by it and got herself into a state... We had a little fun saying it was a proper spirit house and the spirits on our land were very active... she told us we had to get a special ritual to get rid of it and we had to take it away or she would not buy our house. Well the husband still bought the house... and we left the thing there.. so I don't know what she did about it.

I'm no expert but I think the locals just adopt whatever they confident with.

With relation to the plaster of Paris figures - certain temples in Ayuttaya have the zebra or chickens, when I questioned it - it was because a certain king loved chicken fighting and it was his temple.

Down here in the south, there is a temple in NST with a magical log that you rub and see the lottery numbers - if you win - tradition dictates returning to the temple with some chicken figures.

I know it's not directly related to spirit houses but kind of relevant.

I have questioned different people on the red Fanta mystery and all came with the same answer -

"well it's a known fact spirits like red Fanta"

"what about a bottle of coke or Sprite ?"

"Don't be so stupid!"

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1461127983.875529.jpg

In the north, where my wife is from, its horses instead of zebras. It seemed strange to me, since horses aren't very common in Thailand, so I asked her about it. Like with the chickens (above), it seems that one of the regional kings from long ago had a fondness for horses, so that's what everyone puts in the spirit houses. OK, then.

I suspect the Coca Cola company is behind the strawberry Fanta thing smile.png. No Sprite, Pepsi or Est cola! Not unlike the Catholic "fish on Friday" thing, which I understand was instituted to bolster an ailing fishing industry.

Horses actually have a very long tradition in the North and still do in Lampang. Research would suggest they're genetically amongst the most 'original' horses on the planet.

You were raised a Catholic and think "Catholics" are not "Christians"?! Wow. That'll sure come as a surprise to the Pope and over a billion Catholics... Newsflash - Catholics ARE Christians, too. Duh. As for idol worship, there are some sects which formally consider Catholics idol-worshipers; in the main Protestant sects, while they don't generally put statuary in their churches as the Catholics & Greek & Russian Orthodox do, do NOT actually take the position that Catholics are "idol worshipers". Stop posting religious rubbish. If you don't know what you're talking about, best to just keep quiet (or go back to discussing what this thread was actually about).

As for your last question, it's your faith, where do you want it to "leave you"? Some would tell you Christianity & Buddhism are not necessarily mutually exclusive; others that Buddhism isn't really a "religion" in the first place. But given the ignorance, if you're really interested, 'best you actually put some effort into the religious

study you apparently missed growing up.

Wow I didn't say Catholics were not Christians. My colleague did. Slow down and re-read the post.

Where does it leave me? Was a joke. Catholic grammar school and high school almost entered the seminary. Dude chill out! Jesus Christ!

When you build on land a spirit house is built for Chao Thi the displaced land spirit.

Better the house happier the spirit, food and incense is offered to appease him and ensure he keeps bad spirits out.

The figurines are to bring luck and protection.

The red drink represents Blood as blood was actually once used however many thais forgot this and simply think he is a red Fanta fan, it was from the days when ritual animal sacrifice was made meat was placed, fruit, and a bowl of blood.

It was animism not Buddhism.

When you build on land a spirit house is built for Chao Thi the displaced land spirit.

Better the house happier the spirit, food and incense is offered to appease him and ensure he keeps bad spirits out.

The figurines are to bring luck and protection.

The red drink represents Blood as blood was actually once used however many thais forgot this and simply think he is a red Fanta fan, it was from the days when ritual animal sacrifice was made meat was placed, fruit, and a bowl of blood.

It was animism not Buddhism.

Yes. I think you nailed it. Best explanation so far...

Photos of spirit house with Zebras piled high at the side and there are zebras filling all the space underneath the hosue also

Why Zebras?

Wow, pictures paint a thousand words, or in this case 350 zebras.

Zebra herds are even larger in Bangkok.

i always laugh when i see thai tramps helping themself to a meal eating and drinking off a spirit house. nobody seems to stop them or even be offended.

Maybe a spirit has possessed their body?

Photos of spirit house with Zebras piled high at the side and there are zebras filling all the space underneath the hosue also

Why Zebras?

That is phenomenal!

Must be a few thousand zebras there.

The video says Nonthaburi...do u know where in Nonthaburi it is?

if it isn't already, I can see this being a bit of a tourist attraction

Edited by BookMan

Why Zebras?

That is phenomenal!

Must be a few thousand zebras there.

The video says Nonthaburi...do u know where in Nonthaburi it is?

if it isn't already, I can see this being a bit of a tourist attraction

Nonthaburi is a province adjacent to Bangkok although it forms part of the greater urban sprawl.

Nonthaburi is a province adjacent to Bangkok although it forms part of the greater urban sprawl.

I meant the actual road/location in Nonthaburi where these Zebras are

Ah yes .....apparently Sanam Bin Road near Rattanathibet junction .( was featured on another Thai forum ) I believe that this particular herd eventually got so large that the authorities had to clear them all away apart from those in the shrine itself. However a friend tells me they are breeding again !

I've been told the ladders are to facilitate cats helping to make the food offerings disappear - leaving more room for further spirit offerings. Outside spirit houses are for the land spirits and inside houses to honor deceased family members - though I have seen statues representing family members on outside spirit houses along with items that represent their occupations, favorite pasttimes, etc. Ultimately I think what goes into or onto a private property spirit house may reflect the choices of the person who maintains the house.

i see many thai's going into the spirit house that has a statue of THE CITY GENT,dressed in top hat and tails,white pants and a walking stick.

after a few hrs.they seem to be in second heaven.

------------------------------------------------

Question: my sister married a Catholic man.

His mother has a picture of the Virgin Mary and a Rosary on the wall of her house.

Is that considered "idol worship"?