Dating as a young foreigner in Isaan

revgreen

If you happen to end up in Wongchumpu (total population 100) I can introduce you to some of my wifes family.

If I'm thinking of the same Wongchompoo then I've actually been through there a few times on my bike. Will keep an eye out next time thumbsup.gif

Where were you heading? This place isn't close to anywhere.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Learn to speak passable Thai and you'll have it made

Yep ......if you can't communicate except by sign language you are screwed .................. or rather not screwed as the case may be.

I have never had a problem dating nice looking girls around Thailand. However .....the nice ones are looking for a serious relationship with a viable long term partner ....... not a knee trembler in a short time hotel.

Here are some sign language tips from Steve Martin

If you happen to end up in Wongchumpu (total population 100) I can introduce you to some of my wifes family.

The problem is, they all have wonderful caring Thai boyfriends who have six-pack stomachs, good jobs and look after them.

Never mind.

Edit. That is Sipi in the background and his son being nursed..

attachicon.gif400723_305315992897595_1750861751_n.jpg

Spoilt for choice

The problem is, they all have wonderful caring Thai boyfriends who have six-pack stomachs, good jobs and look after them.

Never mind.

Edit. That is Sipi in the background and his son being nursed..

attachicon.gif400723_305315992897595_1750861751_n.jpg

Spoilt for choice

Nice girls. I am sure there are plenty more around.

I wonder how many of the posters offering the pearls of wisdom actually live in Isaan as opposed to having gained their in depth knowledge from secondary sources.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, a Scottish blokes books.....Hope not...cheesy.gif

Fat chance you'd find any intelligent folk reading RUBBISH like that.

Pardon the pun :D

My line of thinking is that most all the foreigners around will be older and married.

So what is life like for a young single guy out in the styx?

Do you want to meet a girl in the styx, how ?

They spend most of their time watching TV, will you go door to door knocking ?

Go hug a tree. go to the ''dancing clubs'' give and get phone numbers and oh

remember no one will speak English, if they do - watch out - how and where

did they learn.

Once in a while, when you least expect it, you will meet that one and your tongue will hit the ground.

If she sees that your tongue can hit the ground she'll be all over you.

Edited by seancbk

I'm not young but I live in a small village in Isaan (population C600). There are at least 5 attractive young women (under 30) living here either permanently or on a commuting basis. Some single, some divorced, 2 with a small child. I guess if you scratch the surface and get to know the locals, you will probably find it's much the same in any village.

Unless you like the outdoor life, eg fishing, birdwatching, walking, bike riding, gardening, etc, etc, there is little to do except read, watch tv, or dabble on the internet. Together with my beautiful partner, it's enough for me!

Although I do not normally recommend sites like this...you may be able to meet some eligible women in one of the Thai dating services...

Or you might advertise in a newspaper: "Young foreign stud service available"...

If I'm thinking of the same Wongchompoo then I've actually been through there a few times on my bike. Will keep an eye out next time thumbsup.gif

Where were you heading? This place isn't close to anywhere.
When I lived in Nong-Phai about 10 years ago I drove by Wongchumpu at least once a week on my way to Phetchabun, which was only 10 minutes drive further on via Highway 21. Wongchumpoo isn't a quiet backwater village, and the Sunday market is usually busy, like the farm/produce stop on the highway, which gets very busy on national holidays and in high season. BTW, which noodle shop are you referring to? I'm probably visiting Phetchabun again in the next couple of months.

Always be the first to initiate conversation with Thai woman. Ask her if she speaks English and if she doesn't hand her a card with your cell number and a note in Thai stating your new to the area and looking for women around the same age that speak English for friendship. It's a numbers game and all about salesmanship and networking. The card will be passed on and some will call, but many will be looking for financial help in a roundabout way.

Initially many Thai women are shy so keep the conversation going with questions until they warm up a bit.

Many young Thai women are pressured by the family to bring in money to help support the family. So many will be traveling out of the area frequently to work in the cities.

Be smart and consult with expats who have lived here for many years about what you can expect from dating Thai women.

Be outgoing and always have back up ladies for less heartache.

Read the book, 'Private Dancer.'

In time you will probably find what you are looking for, but stay in touch with the backup gals!

You can expedite your search with offering financial security for the special lady and her family!

Focus on creating a bigger stack, and the gals will find you!

Then protect the stack by asking financial questions directed to the right people.

Never give the entire stack away. Pay yourself first.

The learning curve here and in other foreign countries can be difficult and there was a time when we all made mistakes. Learn from others about those mistakes so you don't make them.

Good luck.

I'm a young (?) guy of 30 living upcountry in Isaan. I live in the village now, but I was single when I arrived. I think the girls up here are pretty! Much better than the girls in patts or whatever. But you will need to learn Thai (or Khymer Thai or Loas Thai) to get the best of it. Avoid girls working in expat bars/karaoke/whatever. There are bad ones here too, and you wont know until its too late. But theres lots of good ones too. Good luck!

Rev what ass are you looking for? Most really hot young girl's are south are in college, married, or in the city. I spend time in small village but met my wife in a restaurant in the south. You can find some smoking hot girls out there. Where in issan.what town?

Rev what ass are you looking for? Most really hot young girl's are south are in college, married, or in the city. I spend time in small village but met my wife in a restaurant in the south. You can find some smoking hot girls out there. Where in issan.what town? Define young.

Once in a while, when you least expect it, you will meet that one and your tongue will hit the ground.

In Europe, or the Americas, absolutely probable! However, in Asia? whistling.gifnly if the westerner is a bona_fide member of the Richard Forbrain Society.

Always be the first to initiate conversation with Thai woman. Ask her if she speaks English and if she doesn't hand her a card with your cell number and a note in Thai stating your new to the area and looking for women around the same age that speak English for friendship. It's a numbers game and all about salesmanship and networking. The card will be passed on and some will call, but many will be looking for financial help in a roundabout way.

Initially many Thai women are shy so keep the conversation going with questions until they warm up a bit.

Many young Thai women are pressured by the family to bring in money to help support the family. So many will be traveling out of the area frequently to work in the cities.

Be smart and consult with expats who have lived here for many years about what you can expect from dating Thai women.

Be outgoing and always have back up ladies for less heartache.

Read the book, 'Private Dancer.'

In time you will probably find what you are looking for, but stay in touch with the backup gals!

You can expedite your search with offering financial security for the special lady and her family!

Focus on creating a bigger stack, and the gals will find you!

Then protect the stack by asking financial questions directed to the right people.

Never give the entire stack away. Pay yourself first.

The learning curve here and in other foreign countries can be difficult and there was a time when we all made mistakes. Learn from others about those mistakes so you don't make them.

Good luck.

Indeed! The OP's success will probably depend more on luck, than the "Learn from others about those mistakes, so you don't make them." philosophy. 50-years of LOSexpat history has proven the opposite to be true. whistling.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I spent a year in my mid 20's living in a medium sized city in Isaan. Uni town. Big uni, big college, big technical college. Around 30k uni students.

Was single.

Had a h3ll of a lot of fun and don't think I ever went home alone. Many nights it was just a case of picking which one you wanted. We had a laugh.

There's something very (unintentionally) sad about this whole thread.

It's like a compilation of the 101 best excuses for being a loser.

Look in the mirror, bloke! Apparently, you've joined the club yourself, #102....cheesy.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen