true + vpn

aragon1919

There are various opinions out on the internet if its supported out of the box, best thing I can suggest is load your VPN client and try it! Most routers do enable IPSEC or PPTP (VPN protocols) to passthru by default. If it does not... there appears to be some configuration options, not certain if via the WEB GUI interface or not, can't find a user manual with screen shots to tell me. Generally these types of settings either have their own section (VPN setup or such) or are in with the firewall settings. (radio buttons to ENABLE IPSEC Passthru or something like that). If the web does not have these there are lower level commands the router will respond to to allow VPN. So at present I would paint my comfort level of getting this to work for you around 75%. Step 1 though is load your VPN client, and try it...

I use VPN with my True cable/DOCSIS internet...I have a Thomson router. Now I don't run the VPN all the time, enter the VPN service credentials into the router settings; instead, I just turn VPN on or off from my computer when needed. Actually I have the True router as the the Wifi access point upstairs and another Wifi router/access point for downstairs...the downstairs access point is hooked to the upstairs True router via ethernet...I have the True router set to do all the DNS routing. I have this up and downstairs setup because if I didn't the Wifi signal strength would not be strong throughout the house due to so many concrete walls and floors for the wifi signal to fight through...a weak wifi signal cuts down on your bandwidth/throughput speed. Anyway, VPN service works just fine on True DOCSIS cable....been using it since mid 2011.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I was just mulling over a VPN and saw this question. What are the benefits in a nutshell? I guess I have read that blocked sites, or some blocked sites at least, will be viewable. And that your true location will be camouflaged. Are download times quicker from abroad servers? What other benefits are there?

thanks both the reason for asking is that doping some research on the net suggests this router is not directly compatible with vpn and requires a second router to be connected to it but other posts i have seen suggest it might be possible

Oh, I'm sure router works with VPN as VPN is so commonly used for many years. Have you tried using a VPN service...like even one of the free VPN services if you don't happen to have a paid VPN service.

Be careful you're not getting confused with being a VPN client or a VPN host. Most of those switches in routers are for setting your router up as a VPN HOST. This way you can take your computer outside to some network and VPN back to your home and home server.

Generally if you want to be a VPN client (connect to a VPN FROM your home to the outside, you don't need to make any configuration changes in the router if you're using VPN client software on your device/computer.

• 1 month later...

How do i setup vpn on my android device sad.png .

Just insert your VPN credentials in the Android OS VPN settings area...very easy.

For example below are a couple of StrongVPN links which show how to manually enter your L2TP or PPTP VPN credentials

http://strongvpn.com/setup_android_5_l2tp.html

http://strongvpn.com/setup_android_5_pptp.html

Or you could just use their OpenVPN app.

Edited by Pib