Car hire . UK

Just recently hired a car in UK.

Requested and paid for 11th to 20th. 9 days.

After handing back the car I got a bill for two extra days on the card.

On questioning the two extra days I was given the following explanation.

The car company sell the car as a package to the booking agent. The total cost paid is for the 7 day package and the last two days are outside the original package so have to charged as an extra.

I've been told it's in the printed contract.

I will study carefully when I a week with nothing else to do and try to find it.

So if you are booking from here to drive in UK then ask for a full explanation of what you're paying for, eg exactly how many days have you paid for, the days you asked for or will there be extra payment for extra days at the end because of their understanding of their package to the agent.

Agent ripped you off or made a mistake?

Is is possible that the Agent charged you for just a 7 day package and there was some miscommunication in that you thought you were being charged a good deal for the 9 days, and then found out later you were charged for the additional 2 days ?

Don't think so

Thank you for taking the time to contact Europcar customer services on the.docx

In future I will be asking directly and requesting a full breakdown of charges rather than accepting the deal on what is shown on the booking form and will also use another car company.

Previous hires were 7 days or less so this was a first time situation for me and I just thought I'd pass it on to help others not get caught out by small print.

Edited by overherebc

Agent ripped you off or made a mistake?

Is is possible that the Agent charged you for just a 7 day package and there was some miscommunication in that you thought you were being charged a good deal for the 9 days, and then found out later you were charged for the additional 2 days

Don't think so

As your attachment showed that the booking arrangements were advised to you on the reservation document, what's your complaint?

Booked through the car rent section on TV. Asked for 11th to 20th and was quoted a figure for those dates. The extra two days was added by Europcar and charged after we returned.

On Europe car site it does not mention anything about packages.

Following that reasoning if I book for 5 days will I be charged for 7 because they rent to the agent on 7 day packs?

Europecar - leased you a car through a secondary agent for 7 days +2.

You paid the agent for the 7 day package and were charged directly for the extra 2 days by Europecar. .

The deal was not clearly explained to you that you were initially paying for the 7 day package, you thought you were getting a better deal for 9 days.

Is that right ?

We asked for, on the booking form, the dates we required. 9 days, for those dates we were on the booking site quoted a figure. That was paid by CC.

All done through the car rent advertised on Thaivisa.

Dropped the car off on the correct day and 10 days later two days were added by EC .

Only after questioning the two days did we get the explanation of the 'package'system used by EC and the agent.

Not much can be done about it but I thought I'd make people who don't scrutinise every word of of the small print that it's in there somewhere.

I never use an agent - or at least as seldom as I can get away from it. Even Agoda - get the name of the hotel, Google it, book on the hotel website. Same as car rental. Book thru the company website, not anyone else. You even get a break at times that the agents do not get - or keep to themselves. Never had this problem.

Just read through the complete Rentalcars confitmation voucher and there is no mention of packages etc.

On looking at the card issued in the office to allow you out through the EC main gate at heathrow, this of course means you already have the car and keys in your hands, the package system is then mentioned.

At that point you are stuck with it.

I used the car rental broker that TV uses for several years to book cars in Thailand up until about 5 years ago. I never had any issues with them. More recently, I used them to find cars in the UK and two out of three times, the typical delays + time zone differences have caused issues that have ended up costing me extra money. One time the rental company selected didn't have the car I had prepaid the broker for but since the broker hadn't shared my contact info, they couldn't confirm if I would accept a smaller car. Faced with a late arrival and the only car the rental company had, I was left to pursue a post-rental partial refund via the broker which was whole lot of horseshit. Most of the online brokers now use the same 'cartrawler' service to locate cars and in my opinion, they are simply not as good as they used to be. Very recently, I needed a car at short notice on arrival in BKK and paid a deposit via a broker. With less than 12 hours before travel and no confirmation, I went on a rental company's global website, booked a car and got a confirmation. Thinking I had just wasted the broker deposit, I was surprised to get an email from the broker the following day (after picking up the direct hire car) saying they were unable to find a car and would be refunding the deposit. Of course that has the 'up to 30 days' before I see the refund caveat.

I think that the car rental brokerages were a good option up until a few years ago but now I am more likely to use the cartrawler only to see what's available and then go direct to the rental company website and book it there. Pretty much what a lot of people do with the flight finder wesbites such as kayak, expedia and opodo. Find the flight you want there then go book/pay direct.

I used the car rental broker that TV uses for several years to book cars in Thailand up until about 5 years ago. I never had any issues with them. More recently, I used them to find cars in the UK and two out of three times, the typical delays + time zone differences have caused issues that have ended up costing me extra money. One time the rental company selected didn't have the car I had prepaid the broker for but since the broker hadn't shared my contact info, they couldn't confirm if I would accept a smaller car. Faced with a late arrival and the only car the rental company had, I was left to pursue a post-rental partial refund via the broker which was whole lot of horseshit. Most of the online brokers now use the same 'cartrawler' service to locate cars and in my opinion, they are simply not as good as they used to be. Very recently, I needed a car at short notice on arrival in BKK and paid a deposit via a broker. With less than 12 hours before travel and no confirmation, I went on a rental company's global website, booked a car and got a confirmation. Thinking I had just wasted the broker deposit, I was surprised to get an email from the broker the following day (after picking up the direct hire car) saying they were unable to find a car and would be refunding the deposit. Of course that has the 'up to 30 days' before I see the refund caveat.

I think that the car rental brokerages were a good option up until a few years ago but now I am more likely to use the cartrawler only to see what's available and then go direct to the rental company website and book it there. Pretty much what a lot of people do with the flight finder wesbites such as kayak, expedia and opodo. Find the flight you want there then go book/pay direct.

Absolutely agree and will go that way in the future.

Every year I rent a car from Europcar at LHR via one or other of the online comparison sites. I give my date of arrival and my date of departure. The arrival and departure times are the same, and I give those also.

I am instantly billed for an exact number of days at the time of booking and a voucher arrives by email seconds later. As I return the vehicle on time with a full tank I have never had anything extra to pay for anything, and the duration of the rental has never been disputed in any way.

I do take out my own excess insurance to cover the potential GBP800-1000 excess, though I have never had to claim on this.

Read the dates I requested and was quoted for and paid for prior to getting to London.

Europcar just neglected to let me know that the payment was for only 7 days not the original 11th to 20th quoted 9 days , quoted all the way through by all parties until the end .

Don't care what anyone else got in the past only interested in getting honesty up front.

I am instantly billed for an exact number of days at the time of booking and a voucher arrives by email seconds later. ...

Not sure if any of the rental brokers are "instant" but as in real life, your experience may differ applies.

Read the dates I requested and was quoted for and paid for prior to getting to London.

Europcar just neglected to let me know that the payment was for only 7 days not the original 11th to 20th quoted 9 days , quoted all the way through by all parties until the end .

Don't care what anyone else got in the past only interested in getting honesty up front.

If that is the case you can proof you have paid twice for the same service, and can have the payment refunded by your cc company.

Every year I rent a car from Europcar at LHR via one or other of the online comparison sites. I give my date of arrival and my date of departure. The arrival and departure times are the same, and I give those also.

I am instantly billed for an exact number of days at the time of booking and a voucher arrives by email seconds later. As I return the vehicle on time with a full tank I have never had anything extra to pay for anything, and the duration of the rental has never been disputed in any way.

I do take out my own excess insurance to cover the potential GBP800-1000 excess, though I have never had to claim on this.

Well worth it, I think I paid 46 GBP for worldwide cover for a year. covers everywhere apart from USA. I have claimed before, refunded in full.

Wel beats the 'stupid' 5-15 GBP they offer per day , now that really is a con, they push this very hard as they have become as much insurance sakesman, as car renters. Same with sat nav and child seats, all complete rip offs

If that is the case you can proof you have paid twice for the same service, and can have the payment refunded by your cc company.
Gathering all the paperwork at the moment to head down that road.

Well worth it, I think I paid 46 GBP for worldwide cover for a year. covers everywhere apart from USA. I have claimed before, refunded in full.

Wel beats the 'stupid' 5-15 GBP they offer per day , now that really is a con, they push this very hard as they have become as much insurance sakesman, as car renters. Same with sat nav and child seats, all complete rip offs

I rent in the UK a couple of times a year. How do you go about getting the 46 GBP extra cover per year? I'd be very interested as I don't want to pay the extra they rip you off for at the car rental company to eliminate the excess (often double the price). Thanks.

Edited by Wiggy

I am instantly billed for an exact number of days at the time of booking and a voucher arrives by email seconds later. ...

Not sure if any of the rental brokers are "instant" but as in real life, your experience may differ applies.

I've used several online brokers over the years and the payment and voucher issue has always been instant. Sometimes I get my bank's pop-up confirmation window which indicates that the billing is indeed being processed.

I rent in the UK a couple of times a year. How do you go about getting the 46 GBP extra cover per year? I'd be very interested as I don't want to pay the extra they rip you off for at the car rental company to eliminate the excess (often double the price). Thanks.

All the car hire excess insurance places seem to do a yearly option, though prices vary as one would expect. Google "car hire excess insurance".

I pay around GBP2.50 per day

I've used several online brokers over the years and the payment and voucher issue has always been instant. Sometimes I get my bank's pop-up confirmation window which indicates that the billing is indeed being processed.

As I said experiences may differ but one thing I have noticed is that all brokerages and all rental companies usually have the procedure where you select location, car, dates and fill in all the details and pay before you get the booking confirmed. Been like that forever.

I was quite impressed with my recent experience with Avis where I used their global website to reserve the car where only my name, type of car, pickup/drop-off point, dates, flight info and email address was all that was needed to reserve the car, no deposits, no credit card details, nada. They emailed me a reservation number within a few minutes. When I fronted up at their desk at Suvarnabhumi, I was in their system already but only paid just before driving away from their office beside the bus and limo terminals. If you use their Thai website, it's the old style and needs all the details before the booking is confirmed. Seems like they are trying to get a lead on the brokerages. The price was only about 20 baht/day more than the broker so with forex rates, fairly insignificant. I used Avis a few times up country and at Bangkok a few years ago and found their cars older and shabby but this one was a brand new (less than 900 km and no dings) Accord Hybrid and was pretty darn good.

I have a corporate deal with Hertz in the US and their online booking was old-style but with the benefit that you could use their 'priority' lanes where there's a leader board at their office which tells you what bay your car is in with the keys in it. No need to stop and show plastic, DL, sign anything or speak to anyone. Just get in the car and go. Unfortunately, that type of delivery isn't an option at most places outside the US. I haven't found Hertz to be anywhere near competitive on rental rates anywhere except the US for a few years now.

Thanks for the tip on the insurance excess. Really good idea!