Music world in shock as Prince dies suddenly aged 57

webfact

2fishin2, on 23 Apr 2016 - 06:14, said:
Ulysses G., on 23 Apr 2016 - 05:18, said:I don't care why he did it. He still came off as a pretentious twit. IMO, he was never in the A leagues after Purple Rain, but obviously - from reading this thread - a lot of people appreciated him anyway. Overall, I would put him in the good, but not great category. That is still pretty good though.

People in the know, particularly his peers say completely the opposite. I tend to believe them over a pretentious, know it all TV poster.

I have a friend in Minneapolis who knew Prince well. She ran a film and theatre production company who did a lot of work for him over the years at his Paisley Park studios. I've just been reading the anecdotal stories on her facebook page. Fascinating stuff. She said he was a great guy with a great work ethic.

I was lucky enough to see Prince in concert twice, once in a big outdoor stadium and the second time in a more intimate concert hall. The second concert was the most memorable. When the concert finished, after the usual encores, the lights in the hall came on and everyone started to leave. After about 20 minutes, suddenly the lights went out again and back came Prince. He played for another 45 minutes. That's the kind of performer he was.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But died of a drug overdose like so many other western stars . Perhaps if (like Thailand) the public did not put these people up on pedestals so often they would not need to get smashed out of their brains to get the courage up to go on stage, and if they were left alone more they would not feel the pressure to isolate themselves in huge compounds and have to have entourages of people to keep away the fans, nutters and press. Prince like Jackson and a few others did not lead normal happy lives, they paid a heavy price for success.

I once asked a guy 'do you like music'?

He replied no, I can't stand it !

I was shocked to say the least.

I gave him a very wide birth after that.

I couldn't imagine a world without music

It's a universal language,and I hold it very dear to my heart.

was he a Muslim? many think music is haram and forbidden rolleyes.gif

or maybe he liked real music,just not pop music

Prince wasn't just a genius or an idol, he was my musical idol's idol and his influence and legacy is probably as big as they will come in our lifetime. Just like there will never be another Michael Jackson in our lifetime, there will never be anyone as talented, mysterious and obsessed with music as Prince was.

so what influence has he had over you,changed your daily routine has he,has the sky gone dark, he's dead, oh dear,what a shame, never mind

"But dies of a drug overdose". Where did that BS come from T3? How do you know they werent happy? You have knowledge we dont?

There has been speculation that he used opiates, but at this point it is only speculation. Gossip sites are not credible news sources.

He was a vegan. He was a Seventh Day Adventist who changed to Jehovah's Witness. He certainly wasn't Muslim.

I didn't like most of Prince's music. It was hard not to like some of it, though. He was an extremely talented artist and showman and helped launch many musical careers.

Some of his music that I enjoyed a great deal were songs that he gave to other artists to record.

He will be missed and he will be remembered for a long time.

Prince wasn't just a genius or an idol, he was my musical idol's idol and his influence and legacy is probably as big as they will come in our lifetime. Just like there will never be another Michael Jackson in our lifetime, there will never be anyone as talented, mysterious and obsessed with music as Prince was.

Listen, real music,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgGk9tdqP28

may be a bit complicated for you

Edited by soalbundy

So you don't want to read thoughts of world famous music icons regarding Prince, why is that....?

Couple of you are slagging off an icon to many, yet Prince through his music is worth about $100,000,000 via folk BUYING his music.

Now I read posters going down the "junky" route, what on earth has that got to do with his music.....? His life, he can do what he wants, in fact many of our musical icons have dabbled in stuff, so what..

The bottom line is a few of you envy a guy that became an icon where you can only spit venom....Very sad indeed..

Elton John's thoughts hold no interest for me, nor his strange lifestyle and court actions to keep his life out of the papers. Nobody has claimed prince was a Junkie, Junkies jack up, Prince was a user of pills and patches for decades. Envy, spiting venom? not a lot to envy, and asking for proof of claimed genius is hardly venomous surely?

So you don't want to read thoughts of world famous music icons regarding Prince, why is that....?

Couple of you are slagging off an icon to many, yet Prince through his music is worth about $100,000,000 via folk BUYING his music.

Now I read posters going down the "junky" route, what on earth has that got to do with his music.....? His life, he can do what he wants, in fact many of our musical icons have dabbled in stuff, so what..

The bottom line is a few of you envy a guy that became an icon where you can only spit venom....Very sad indeed..

Elton John's thoughts hold no interest for me, nor his strange lifestyle and court actions to keep his life out of the papers. Nobody has claimed prince was a Junkie, Junkies jack up, Prince was a user of pills and patches for decades. Envy, spiting venom? not a lot to envy, and asking for proof of claimed genius is hardly venomous surely?

That's a bit ironic, but your condescending BS hold no interest for anyone!

Oh yeah and the Thai- music stars are soooooo damn great...oh wait...didn't Sek Loso have a drug problem?

Is he not Thai, not a musician?

Man, people like you really pi$$ me off!

Again my question: what are you doing here?

You have no interest in Prince or his music, you clearly are not affected by his death, other than gloatingly mocking people who see his talent (and genius), so why don't you just #@$% off and have a nice afternoon, listen to some world- changing Look Tung?!

You -for sure- will not be missed!

Troll!

Oh yeah and the Thai- music stars are soooooo damn great...oh wait...didn't Sek Loso have a drug problem?

You have no interest in Prince or his music, you clearly are not affected by his death, other than gloatingly mocking people who see his talent (and genius), so why don't you just #@$% off and have a nice afternoon, listen to some world- changing Look Tung?!

Troll!

Temper temper, do try to calm down and discuss things logically without the emotions rushing in. Nobody has gloated, no poster hates or has mocked the man, OK I had one little joke, so why claim this? I think there is a goldmine for an academic here when it comes to the way fans identify with, and are so defensive and offended at any who disagree with their hero worshiping views, I find it fascinating. When it comes to Thailand as I have said they have a far more healthy view of their stars and don't hero worship them and treat them like gods, and in return they don't end up like Jackson, Amy what's her name, Hendrix, Morrison, Elvis and all the others too many to mention or now Prince.

In the Kevin Smith video, Prince comes off as a flaky, self styled messiah of unpredictable, irrational and weird behaviour.

He reprimands Smith for using cuss words but this is the guy who wrote and sang a song called "You Sexy Motherf%$#er".

I certainly didnt care for him or his music…bit of a freak show if you ask me.

Absolutely, and nobody will care about his music or remember him as anything other than an oddity in 50 years, the Tiny Tim of his age. RIP - rest in purple.

Troll!

Temper temper, do try to calm down and discuss things logically without the emotions rushing in. Nobody has gloated, no poster hates or has mocked the man, OK I had one little joke, so why claim this? I think there is a goldmine for an academic here when it comes to the way fans identify with, and are so defensive and offended at any who disagree with their hero worshiping views, I find it fascinating. When it comes to Thailand as I have said they have a far more healthy view of their stars and don't hero worship them and treat them like gods, and in return they don't end up like Jackson, Amy what's her name, Hendrix, Morrison, Elvis and all the others too many to mention or now Prince.

Discuss what, there's nothing to discuss. He was a superstar and an excellent artist.

And you're also totally wrong about the Thais and their stars.

Edited by stevenl

Absolutely, and nobody will care about his music or remember him as anything other than an oddity in 50 years, the Tiny Tim of his age. RIP - rest in purple.

Explain his $100,000,000 in the bank oh wise one......?

Did he get through folk NOT liking his music......?

Please give us your insight, well you or the other "jealous guy".....Hmmmm, feel a song coming on...laugh.png

Lets have it.....smile.png

In 1938 Time magazine voted Hitler as man of the year, he was once liked by a lot of people as well. What is he going to do with all that money now, OMG the jehova's witness are happy now, seems he either didn't have the 'where with all' to produce any kids or he was to busy humming a little ditty tune to himself.

Discuss what, there's nothing to discuss. He was a superstar and an excellent artist.

And you're also totally wrong about the Thais and their stars.

Really, I thought there was a discussion about his genius, but no real evidence was forthcoming other than some songs he wrote and now his bank balance. How am I wrong about Thais and their stars? do tell.

Explain his $100,000,000 in the bank oh wise one......?

Did he get through folk NOT liking his music......?

Please give us your insight, well you or the other "jealous guy".....Hmmmm, feel a song coming on...laugh.png

Lets have it.....smile.png

In 1938 Time magazine voted Hitler as man of the year, he was once liked by a lot of people as well. What is he going to do with all that money now, OMG the jehova's witness are happy now, seems he either didn't have the 'where with all' to produce any kids or he was to busy humming a little ditty tune to himself.

Answer my questions.....You can't.....Just do daft deviations...laugh.png

says the poster who never offered up any evidence for the genius of Prince and who tried to deflect from Prince by dragging John Lennon into it whistling.gif

When it comes to Thailand as I have said they have a far more healthy view of their stars and don't hero worship them and treat them like gods, and in return they don't end up like Jackson, Amy what's her name, Hendrix, Morrison, Elvis and all the others too many to mention or now Prince.

Proof that you are only here to wind people up or you really, really have no idea what you are talking about. How's your last 3 days in this thread been? You must have a really dull or unfulfilling life to spend it this way arguing about someone you apparently don't even know anything about or like.

Going to leave this discussion with a couple people who know what they are talking about.

This is by Eric Clapton.

"I'm so sad about the death of Prince, he was a true genius, and a huge inspiration for me, in a very real way....
In the the eighties, I was out on the road in a massive downward spiral with drink and drugs, I saw Purple Rain in a cinema in Canada, I had no idea who he was, it was like a bolt of lightning!...
In the middle of my depression, and the dreadful state of the music culture at that time it gave me hope, he was like a light in the darkness...
I went back to my hotel, and surrounded by empty beer cans, wrote Holy Mother....
I can't believe he's gone...."

From Elton John.

"This is truly devastating news. The greatest performer I have ever seen. A true genius... Rest in peace you purple warrior."

I think they know a bit more about what they are talking about.

As for the person who keep asking for evidence there has been plenty posted throughout this thread that he just chooses to ignore it or says that he is not going to read it, which is pretty pathetic.

He is just a troll, ignore it people.

Edited by Throatwobbler

We are still waiting for your (transams) argument and evidence of how and why Prince was a genius, many genius level people die with nothing in the bank so money is not an indication of genius, only of success. Do try to answer without personal attacks and emotional tantrums,thank you. As for Clapton he was always a second rate guitarist and drug addict, everyone is a genius compared to him and as for 'Sir ' Elton well he never could even write his own lyrics, he's a genius of the temper tantrum though. Of course these old foggies wax lyrical when somebody, anybody dies it's so politically correct and expected of them

Edited by thai3

Yes pretentious is the right word for him I think. Did not think i's watch all of this but found it very interesting from a man who made a documentary for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

Notice what Kevin Smith tweeted this week though:

"We lost one of the greatest Artists who ever lived. Prince's music was the soundtrack to my life. RIP, Royal genius. Nothing compared 2 U...?"

Don't get too upset that he also called him a Genius, a Royal Genius come to that.

I get that people didn't really like his style of music. I am sure he was pressured hard to make pop music by the record company. And 80's pop is pretty weak for the most part. What people don't seem to realize that he could do any kind of music.

His guitar work is astonishing.

But he was a freaky little guy with very strange tastes and a lot of people can't get past it.

I wish those folks would just give this thread a pass though. Leave it to those who feel something.

Then it would just be a pointless love in 'he was so great', and not a discussion, which his fans seem incapable of though, Those who though he was less than good have feeling as well and have a right to be heard without being abused and ridiculed.

Edited by thai3

We are still waiting for your (transams) argument and evidence of how and why Prince was a genius, many genius level people die with nothing in the bank so money is not an indication of genius, only of success. Do try to answer without personal attacks and emotional tantrums,thank you.

People have mentioned many times, but you chose to ignore them. People have posted links ("I'm not reading that liberal left wing blah blah"), comments by other musicians, evidence and still you are trolling. You act like a conspiracy theorist, who just wants to get your own way and shut out others opinions and evidence if they don't match your own.

We don't need to hold your hand like a little kid, just go onto google type in why prince is talented and genius and I'm sure you will find your answers. I'm sure you must know of plenty of other musicians who have played 27 instruments on one album - please for a laugh, tell us a Thai musician more talented. He was not only good at the different instruments he played, he was often exceptional in each department. Just check out the Blues he did on youtube and this ZZ Top story, just shows how much he was thought of in the guitar world (but seeing as you are not interested in other people's opinions or evidence, doubt you will read it):-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/04/22/defying-description-zz-tops-billy-gibbons-on-prince-the-sensational-guitarist/

As for other evidence, just read what Eric Clapton, ZZ Top, Stevie Wonder, Pearl Jam, Slash, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Elton John, just to name a few have said about him. And a famous comment from Dave Grohl to finish it off:

Howard Stern, "Do you think Prince is a better musician than you?"

Dave Grohl, "Dude, Prince is a better DRUMMER than I am."

I am not the one making any claims for Prince , you (transam) are so I have nothing to answer. I am not going to answer off topic questions about John Lennon as that is just an obvious diversion from the topi c. You have been asked several times to come up with an argument as to the genius of Prince but have been found unable to do so and merely turn to other famous people who can hardly say anything other than praise, speak for yourself man and think for yourself, were you voted poster of the year? whistling.gif

Edited by thai3

We are still waiting for your (transams) argument and evidence of how and why Prince was a genius, many genius level people die with nothing in the bank so money is not an indication of genius, only of success. Do try to answer without personal attacks and emotional tantrums,thank you.

People have mentioned many times, but you chose to ignore them.

Any fool can post links and other peoples predictable praise pieces, what I was rather hoping for were some original thoughts, but rather like the music in question that' was asking a bit much