Best place to exchange Baht- CAD

Hi All,

Just wondering where I would get the best value exchanging Baht-Canadian dollars? Money exchange here in Bangkok, airport here/airport back home, or bank back home?

Also, what is the maximum amount of cash (in baht) I can have on me?

Many thanks!

Doing the exchange in Thailand will be at a significantly better rate; exchange rate for baht outside of Thailand is lower than in Thailand simply because Thai baht is not a major world currency, basically only used within Thailand. Go with a local money exchanger/Thai bank.

Here in Thailand just look for the "lowest selling rate" since you are converting baht back to CAD (i.e., fewer baht required by the money exchanger to sell you one CAD). Now if you were converting from CAD to baht you would be looking for the "highest buying rate." It can get kinda confusing depend on which way you are converting a particular currency.

Edited by Pib

As it were:

Last month, while in Pattaya, I approached my Bank with the request to exchange some Thai-Baht into CHF (Swiss-Franc) in form of cash.

Answer. "Must order from main branch in BKK, will take 1 week to get here" !? I wasn't going to plunder my whole account, only the equivalent of Bht 700'000 !

Is this "normal" ??

Could someone direct me to a financial institution in Pattaya that has enough foreign currency in stock to convert the royal sum of 700'000 Bht to CHF. ?

Thx & cheers.

As it were:

Last month, while in Pattaya, I approached my Bank with the request to exchange some Thai-Baht into CHF (Swiss-Franc) in form of cash.

Answer. "Must order from main branch in BKK, will take 1 week to get here" !? I wasn't going to plunder my whole account, only the equivalent of Bht 700'000 !

Is this "normal" ??

Could someone direct me to a financial institution in Pattaya that has enough foreign currency in stock to convert the royal sum of 700'000 Bht to CHF. ?

Thx & cheers.

EUR and USD take usually one day, up to three days if one wants €500 notes.

i'd consider a week for CHF quite normal and the same like changing Baht into AUD or SGD which i have done.

could you give me your best guess how often a financial institution in Pattaya is asked to change Baht into CHF?

could you give me your best guess how often a financial institution in Pattaya is asked to change Baht into CHF?

No idea. But the CHF has always been under the top 5 traded currencies worldwide as far as trading volume is concerned. Never Mind, can always go with the good old US$.

However, if ANY Thai Bank can not supply mentioned amount within 48 hours in form of US$ and in form of cash, a red flag would start waiving in front of my nose.

Thx for info you all. Cheers.