Much talked about Phuket mural to be painted over

snoop1130

Much talked about Phuket mural to be painted over
Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-249866-0-24892400-1461324040_thumb.

PHUKET: -- The much talked about mural by Alex Face and Muebon on the old Standard Chartered Bank building in Phuket Town is to be painted over following a meeting held at Phuket City Municipality Office today (April 22).

The mural was completed on Saturday Apr 9, and following its completion, local residents took to social media to either severely criticise or praise the design. (See story here.)

In attendance at today’s meeting, held at 10am, were Phuket City Major Somjai Suwansupana, local media, residents, government officials and Wirachai Pranveerapaibool, leader of the “So Phuket” group who were part responsible for the mural being painted.

Speaking during the meeting, Mr Wirachai said, “Following the first meeting held last week, I have decided to ask Pattcharapon ‘Alex Face’ Tangreun to paint over his mural on the side of the old Standard Chartered Bank Building.

“Mr Pattcharapon will paint over the mural himself between May 5-15,” he said.

“I understand that there are several opinions about the mural and about art in general,” he added.

Mr Wirachai went on to say that the mural on the old Standard Chartered Bank building is part of a collection of 12 murals being painted on various buildings around Phuket Town and that the project will continue until all 12 are complete.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/much-talked-about-phuket-mural-to-be-painted-over-57143.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-22

I'm not really a fan of Graffiti style artworks but I was impressed enough by this guys work on a building in Bangkok (near MBK) to take a few photos and keep an eye-out for his future works.

The character shown in the rabbit suit I've since discovered has been painted not only in Thailand but also in Europe by this artist. Since I quite like to wander/travel "on a theme" catching up with such works would bait any future trip, so over-painting this would deter me. To me the mural would be better left but as others have said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.