driving in the UK

oldgent

Ok, this straight from the horses mouth and up to date. Last year I had to change my old UK paper license to a plastic style one, I did it through an agency in the uk I found online. And yes, if you are not resident in the uk, you do need to supply a uk address, it is this address that the license is delivered to. I used my sisters address.

On the 7th of this month, I hired a car at Heathrow, when collecting the car, I used my new uk license, but as stated, the car firm had to call the DVLA to check for points against or even that the license was valid. It took five minutes. I was informed that the next time I rented a car in the uk, I would need to go online to the DVLA website and get a code number which I would need to give to the car hire firm.

My Chinese wife was nominated as the second driver, her Chinese license was accepted, but only after her Thai 5 year license was rejected. Read of that what you will.

The code thing is due the changes last year viz the paper counterpart of the plastic.

You can go here for an instruction on how to obtain a code. Basically, "... you go online to obtain a code to give to your hire company. Each code is valid for 21 days from the date you obtain it and it can only be used once (to protect your privacy). You can have up to 15 active check codes at any given time.

To obtain a code or a printout:

1. Go to View Driving Licence.
  2. Enter your driver number and postcode, as they appear on your driving licence, and your National Insurance number.
  3. Click on the ‘Share your licence information’ tab – then the ‘Create a code’ button.
  4. You will now be shown a code that you can pass on to your hire company. You’ll also have the option to print out your licence information.

This is shown in detail in this guide.

If you cannot get a code online then you can call DVLA on 0300 083 0013. You’ll need to answer some security questions to validate your identity before we give you a code."

I think that some of our long-time UK expats may also have a difficulty with providing their NI number too!

Regards your Chinese wife's Thai DL not being accepted, that may be a policy that a foreigners driving license must match their nationality which makes sense. Lucky your wife had both.

Ok, this straight from the horses mouth and up to date. Last year I had to change my old UK paper license to a plastic style one, I did it through an agency in the uk I found online. And yes, if you are not resident in the uk, you do need to supply a uk address, it is this address that the license is delivered to. I used my sisters address.

On the 7th of this month, I hired a car at Heathrow, when collecting the car, I used my new uk license, but as stated, the car firm had to call the DVLA to check for points against or even that the license was valid. It took five minutes. I was informed that the next time I rented a car in the uk, I would need to go online to the DVLA website and get a code number which I would need to give to the car hire firm.

My Chinese wife was nominated as the second driver, her Chinese license was accepted, but only after her Thai 5 year license was rejected. Read of that what you will.

Are you stating a UK non resident is legal to drive in the UK using a UK drivers license. When I observed the D1 application form at the part whare you sign it states you must be a resident of the UK to obtain a UK driving license.

I then called the DVLA in the UK and they told me if you use a UK DL and they find out you do not meet the criteria for being a UK resident you are in deep $hit, I was informed if you are non resident you must use a driving license issued whare you reside.

Has things now changed ?

No things haven't changed it's just that most of the time nobody really cares, as described in my earlier post.

So technically if you had a major accident and the insurance company done lots of checks as they do, the insurance could be regarded as void ?

I am not 100% sure about the need for an IDP. But my Thai IDP states clearly: Domicile:Thailand. I am 70+ and not going to start from here to get a replacement UK licence!

You are good to go in the UK with just the 5-year Thai DL. You are doing things 100% legally in that you are non-resident in the UK, domiciled in Thailand so no longer entitled to a UK DL. The IDP isn't required.

No things haven't changed it's just that most of the time nobody really cares, as described in my earlier post.

So technically if you had a major accident and the insurance company done lots of checks as they do, the insurance could be regarded as void ?

There's anecdotal tales of foreign drivers voiding their Thai insurance if they don't have a Thai DL or an IDP to support the DL of their home country. I have no idea if the UK insurance companies have the same rule.

However, as an earlier poster advised after talking with DVLC, they are tightening up on verifying people's right to use a UK DL to the point that there is a now a published penalty for using a UKDL in lieu of the DL of your chosen non-UK domicile. From another source, "The DVLA won't knowingly renew licenses for British citizens that are no longer resident in the UK, only bona-fide UK residents, and apparently on their renewal form it threatens a £1000 fine and/or 2 years imprisonment to anyone falsely stating their residency status." I reckon the option of 'using your sisters address' may be getting quite perilous.

Remember now that cars have no tax disc....all the info is on te numberplate which the police can read. presumably that would also give info on who's driving a rental car....so they just check your name and whamo!...you're nicked!

The details obtained from the number plate only refers to the status of the vehicles road tax, mot and owner (which is the rental company). Police have to apply in writing to the rental company for your details if your renting. Most rental firms however will give the driver details to police via phone as they deem it to be in their own best interests, ie a driver with invalid driving licence would invalidate the insurance.

There's anecdotal tales of foreign drivers voiding their Thai insurance if they don't have a Thai DL or an IDP to support the DL of their home country. I have no idea if the UK insurance companies have the same rule.

However, as an earlier poster advised after talking with DVLC, they are tightening up on verifying people's right to use a UK DL to the point that there is a now a published penalty for using a UKDL in lieu of the DL of your chosen non-UK domicile. From another source, "The DVLA won't knowingly renew licenses for British citizens that are no longer resident in the UK, only bona-fide UK residents, and apparently on their renewal form it threatens a £1000 fine and/or 2 years imprisonment to anyone falsely stating their residency status." I reckon the option of 'using your sisters address' may be getting quite perilous.

Yes you are correct the info provided is crystal clear when you sign the D1 application form. It may be its possible to get a licence under the sisters address and its good for the basics. But I am sure if you have a big time accident and there is lots of coin involved, the insurance will need lots of information and documents that you are a UK resident. They do not worry if you tell them porkies when signing the dotted line, but its a different deal when there is a ton of money to be paid out

I declare that I am resident in the UK and understand that

it is a criminal offence to make a false declaration to get a

driving licence and that to do so can lead to prosecution and

a maximum penalty of up to two years imprisonment. I also

understand that failing to provide information is an offence

that could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to l000.

I drive in the UK on my Thai driving licence (5 years) and an IDP from Thailand. No problem. But I am not a UK resident,. I think there is some rather confusing rule that you need a UK or EU licence 12 months after you become a UK resident. Check the insurance costs if you buy a car. Car Rental companies seem to have no problem!

After residing in the UK for 12 months you must obtain a UK licence. If moving from the EU to the UK, they will just issue you a UK licence automatically. If coming from other countries outside the EU you may also have to take the driving test.

If you don't obtain a UK licence after 12 months, the police, insurance companies, car rentals etc will deem you to have no valid licence.

If you are a UK national, your licence in most cases is valid until you are 70. Why some people want to or try to use a Thai licence in the UK when they already have a full UK licence beggars belief. Obviously, if you are over seventy and haven't renewed your UK licence hence expired, and you can get away with a Thai licence, good on you.

UK licences are valid for 10 years until you reach 70 and then they issue 3 year licences but you may be asked for a doctor's letter to substantiate.

No upper age limit but at some point they will just refuse.

• 5 weeks later...

It's worth adding that in practice there is a very relaxed attitude amongst the Police and the car rental agencies on which license a person holds. I have a UK license which I managed to renew whilst living in Thailand, via the UK government gateway (I know, I know) and also a full Thai drivers license. Whenever I rent a car in the UK I offer up both licenses to Enterprise and tell them to take their pick, they always take the UK license but also record details of the Thai license.

But my annual car insurance policy from White Horse allows me to avoid paying car rental insurance and this cannot be used by UK residents. Two years ago somebody hit my rental car whilst parked and when I reported the incident to the Police they did the same as Enterprise, took details of both licenses and never uttered a word about it. When I went to claim on the insurance White Horse was very straight forward and paid the claim without question.

I suspect the key to the above is that both licenses point to the same person and neither has been cancelled or suspended, dunno.

When you guys have renewed, do you not put your NI number in? What is the registered address for that? UK or Thailand?

It's worth adding that in practice there is a very relaxed attitude amongst the Police and the car rental agencies on which license a person holds. I have a UK license which I managed to renew whilst living in Thailand, via the UK government gateway (I know, I know) and also a full Thai drivers license. Whenever I rent a car in the UK I offer up both licenses to Enterprise and tell them to take their pick, they always take the UK license but also record details of the Thai license.

But my annual car insurance policy from White Horse allows me to avoid paying car rental insurance and this cannot be used by UK residents. Two years ago somebody hit my rental car whilst parked and when I reported the incident to the Police they did the same as Enterprise, took details of both licenses and never uttered a word about it. When I went to claim on the insurance White Horse was very straight forward and paid the claim without question.

I suspect the key to the above is that both licenses point to the same person and neither has been cancelled or suspended, dunno.

When you guys have renewed, do you not put your NI number in? What is the registered address for that? UK or Thailand?

In my case, Thailand. But I have used the government gateway successfully in the past to renew a UK license, yes it's illegal, but....!