driving in the UK

oldgent

I may be mistaken... I am of the understanding that a Thai Licence must be accompanied by an International Drivers Permit (obtained in Thailand) for a Thai Licence holder to drive in the UK.

Additionally so (and this will effect those who have not been to the UK for a year or more). The Paper licence, which was initially necessary to hire a car has now been made obsolete, now the Card (credit card size) licence is the 'main' part, and of course, must be presented when hiring a car with a UK drivers licence.

(Don't shoot me down, this is as I understand it, but things may have changed).

I may be mistaken... I am of the understanding that a Thai Licence must be accompanied by an International Drivers Permit (obtained in Thailand) for a Thai Licence holder to drive in the UK.

Additionally so (and this will effect those who have not been to the UK for a year or more). The Paper licence, which was initially necessary to hire a car has now been made obsolete, now the Card (credit card size) licence is the 'main' part, and of course, must be presented when hiring a car with a UK drivers licence.

(Don't shoot me down, this is as I understand it, but things may have changed).

True. The UK have got rid of the old paper counterpart to the driving licence that used to show one's penalty points and any driving convictions such as drink driving.

Now when hiring a car, IF the car hire company wish to check you out, they need your permission to access your DVLC records. Now you have to register with the DVLC using your driving licence number AND National Insurance number. They will then supply you with a code " valid for 21 days" that you give the car hire company so that they can access your records.

Fairly recent so I am not sure how it's working out at the moment. As for OP, probably best to play safe and get an IDP before departing Thailand.

See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hiring-a-vehicle

Edited by phetphet

I drive in the UK on my Thai driving licence (5 years) and an IDP from Thailand. No problem. But I am not a UK resident,. I think there is some rather confusing rule that you need a UK or EU licence 12 months after you become a UK resident. Check the insurance costs if you buy a car. Car Rental companies seem to have no problem!

If you are a UK national, your licence in most cases is valid until you are 70. Why some people want to or try to use a Thai licence in the UK when they already have a full UK licence beggars belief. Obviously, if you are over seventy and haven't renewed your UK licence hence expired, and you can get away with a Thai licence, good on you.

If you are a UK national, your licence in most cases is valid until you are 70. Why some people want to or try to use a Thai licence in the UK when they already have a full UK licence beggars belief. Obviously, if you are over seventy and haven't renewed your UK licence hence expired, and you can get away with a Thai licence, good on you.

I got the impression from the OP that the person intending to rent was NOT a UK citizen. i.e. - "thai person visiting UK"

Edited by cumgranosalum

If you are a UK national, your licence in most cases is valid until you are 70. Why some people want to or try to use a Thai licence in the UK when they already have a full UK licence beggars belief. Obviously, if you are over seventy and haven't renewed your UK licence hence expired, and you can get away with a Thai licence, good on you.I believe

I believe Uk licences are now only valid for 10 years and cannot be renewed without a UK address. i.e. You have to declare uk residence at the time of renewal.

If you are a UK national, your licence in most cases is valid until you are 70. Why some people want to or try to use a Thai licence in the UK when they already have a full UK licence beggars belief. Obviously, if you are over seventy and haven't renewed your UK licence hence expired, and you can get away with a Thai licence, good on you.I believe

I believe Uk licences are now only valid for 10 years and cannot be renewed without a UK address. i.e. You have to declare uk residence at the time of renewal.

the plastic bit needs to be renewed but once done I think it's till 70?

my Thai licence is valid for 8 years apparently.

One needs full Thai, so 5 year, licence, no idp required.

where does it say "5 yr required"?
It has to be a full licence, not temporary, so minimum 5 years

does a 1 yr licence say it is not a full licence?
1 year licence is now 2 years, and is 'provisional'.

The photo needs to be updated every 10 years or the license is invalidated.

re does it say "5 yr required"?
It has to be a full licence, not temporary, so minimum 5 years

does a 1 yr licence say it is not a full licence?
1 year licence is now 2 years, and is 'provisional'.

does it say this on the licence in English?are there any "official restrictions on a 2 year licence? - would a rental company pick up on this?...although I doubt for a Thai licence holder this situation would arise - they can most likely get hold of a 5 year one.

Edited by cumgranosalum

You don't need to re-read but, as you correctly stated, the licence itself has to be renewed, and the photographs updated. It was the photograph part that caught me out when applying to renew, I had to go through the whole process again, this time with an updated photo.

Also: if you hold a UK licence and an overseas licence and you hire and drive on that overseas license, you are presumed to be driving on your UK licence - those trying to dodge past events by hiring and driving on a Thai licence in the UK, take note.

chiang mai can you please explain a bit more on your last sentence ? where did you get your information from ?

The information came from the UK Gov link and despite a quick search just now, I can't find the reference. The logic goes like this:

If you are resident in the UK you can drive on a UK license, if you are not resident you must hand in your UK license and obtain one in the country of your residency. It therefore follows that you cannot drive in the UK on a foreign license if you are resident in the UK, in that event you are deemed to be UK resident for driving licence purposes because you haven't relinquished the UK license.

You don't need to re-read but, as you correctly stated, the licence itself has to be renewed, and the photographs updated. It was the photograph part that caught me out when applying to renew, I had to go through the whole process again, this time with an updated photo.

<deleted> autocorrect, that should be 're-test' not re-read.

Sorry!

chiang mai can you please explain a bit more on your last sentence ? where did you get your information from ?

The information came from the UK Gov link and despite a quick search just now, I can't find the reference. The logic goes like this:

If you are resident in the UK you can drive on a UK license, if you are not resident you must hand in your UK license and obtain one in the country of your residency. It therefore follows that you cannot drive in the UK on a foreign license if you are resident in the UK, in that event you are deemed to be UK resident for driving licence purposes because you haven't relinquished the UK license.

Plus it makes sense one can not pick and choose. This prevents also people on suspended UK licence driving on foreign licence.

It's worth adding that in practice there is a very relaxed attitude amongst the Police and the car rental agencies on which license a person holds. I have a UK license which I managed to renew whilst living in Thailand, via the UK government gateway (I know, I know) and also a full Thai drivers license. Whenever I rent a car in the UK I offer up both licenses to Enterprise and tell them to take their pick, they always take the UK license but also record details of the Thai license.

But my annual car insurance policy from White Horse allows me to avoid paying car rental insurance and this cannot be used by UK residents. Two years ago somebody hit my rental car whilst parked and when I reported the incident to the Police they did the same as Enterprise, took details of both licenses and never uttered a word about it. When I went to claim on the insurance White Horse was very straight forward and paid the claim without question.

I suspect the key to the above is that both licenses point to the same person and neither has been cancelled or suspended, dunno.

Point to note; on my last two UK rentals (last one just before Christmas last year) the rental agent preferred that I use my Thai (5 year) DL as the provenance (personal and financial) is much less onerous than what is required for a renter offering a UK license.

UK DL: Requires secondary photo ID (passport), a backup source of funding (alternate credit card) and a bank statement, credit card statement or utility bill in the renters name that is not more than 3-months old and has the same address as the UK DL. Mobile phone bill not accepted.

Thai 5-year DL: Passport, credit card.

The 2-year Thai DL (the first one that a foreigner gets) is a provisional license as far as the Thai authorities are concerned and UK car rental agencies are aware of that and per an earlier post, they do check.

Ok, this straight from the horses mouth and up to date. Last year I had to change my old UK paper license to a plastic style one, I did it through an agency in the uk I found online. And yes, if you are not resident in the uk, you do need to supply a uk address, it is this address that the license is delivered to. I used my sisters address.

On the 7th of this month, I hired a car at Heathrow, when collecting the car, I used my new uk license, but as stated, the car firm had to call the DVLA to check for points against or even that the license was valid. It took five minutes. I was informed that the next time I rented a car in the uk, I would need to go online to the DVLA website and get a code number which I would need to give to the car hire firm.

My Chinese wife was nominated as the second driver, her Chinese license was accepted, but only after her Thai 5 year license was rejected. Read of that what you will.