Phuket’s Tritrang Beach gains artificial reef

snoop1130

Phuket’s Tritrang Beach gains artificial reef
The Phuket News

post-249866-0-68335400-1461331176_thumb.
Officials look on as part of the artificial reef is lowered into the sea. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- Phuket officials today (Apr 22) placed 120 concrete blocks off the coast of Tritrang Beach at the south end of Patong which they hope within five years be a flourishing coral reef covering an area close to two rai.

Kathu District chief Sayan Chanachaiwong along with Royal Thai Navy Deputy Chief of Staff Capt Kitti Yoskrai, Emerald Bay Company Directing Manager Mr Trikhwan Boonnak, Director of Marine and Coastal Resources Conservation Centre Phuket office Mr Paitoon Panchaiphumi and other officials gathered at Tritrang Beach to join today to watch as the blocks were placed into the sea.

“The newly laid artificial reef will attract tourists and increase income for local people, at the same time it will help to revive marine resources,” said Mr Paitoon.

“In the past, Patong Bay was well known for its beautiful and abundant coral reef which is the core of the marine ecosystem. The reef was a place for marine animals to lay eggs, take refuge and care for their young. It was also a place to fish and attract tourists,” he added.

He continued: “We used to have a lot of tourists visit the area and create more income for local people, especially along the Tritrang reef which covered about 500 rai. Marine animals were abundant and fishermen were happy.”

However, Mr Paitoon pointed out that today the coral reefs in this area have gone.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tritrang-beach-gains-artificial-reef-57145.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-22

Five or six years ago Tri Trang Beach was a pleasant little beach where you could while away a few hours on the sand or enjoying a beer at the only little restaurant along that stretch. Cruise ships anchored seemingly a few hundred metres out and provided an interesting backdrop.

With a rocky bottom (dead coral?) it wasn't a great swimming beach when the tide was down, but it was possible to park under a tree right at the edge of the sand. I noted several disabled people appreciated this easy access to a nice beach. and were there frequently.

Of course, nothing good is left unexploited here, and soon Patong Bay Garden Resort (Keesin family) placed a number of hotel style huts right on the beach at the western end. A bar/restaurant was built next to it and massage huts next to that. The initial little restaurant built another story on top and upgraded itself to a club of sorts.

Then, the whole area on the seaside of the main access road was sold, and bought by developers for big money. Presumably all titles were issued legally. The first thing the new owners did was put an ugly green fence around the whole site, including just behind the beach. Access for the public ended . Since then it has become a massive building site and the fences along the roadway have become permanent. The illegal buildings on the beach disappeared with the advent of military rule and also, no doubt, from being fenced off from their customers.

The site now appears to be morphing into a private condominium enclave, complete with lake, and when finished will presumably have access only for residents.

post-18822-0-76728300-1461379571_thumb.j

I hope they enjoy their private beach and new coral reef!

Edited by Old Croc

Five or six years ago Tri Trang Beach was a pleasant little beach where you could while away a few hours on the sand or enjoying a beer at the only little restaurant along that stretch. Cruise ships anchored seemingly a few hundred metres out and provided an interesting backdrop.

With a rocky bottom (dead coral?) it wasn't a great swimming beach when the tide was down, but it was possible to park under a tree right at the edge of the sand. I noted several disabled people appreciated this easy access to a nice beach. and were there frequently.

Of course, nothing good is left unexploited here, and soon Patong Bay Garden Resort (Keesin family) placed a number of hotel style huts right on the beach at the western end. A bar/restaurant was built next to it and massage huts next to that. The initial little restaurant built another story on top and upgraded itself to a club of sorts.

Then, the whole area on the seaside of the main access road was sold, and bought by developers for big money. Presumably all titles were issued legally. The first thing the new owners did was put an ugly green fence around the whole site, including just behind the beach. Access for the public ended . Since then it has become a massive building site and the fences along the roadway have become permanent. The illegal buildings on the beach disappeared with the advent of military rule and also, no doubt, from being fenced off from their customers.

The site now appears to be morphing into a private condominium enclave, complete with lake, and when finished will presumably have access only for residents.

attachicon.giftritrang.jpg

Is this the land that was recently declared to have gained title illegally, or is that somewhere else?

attachicon.giftritrang.jpg

Is this the land that was recently declared to have gained title illegally, or is that somewhere else?

No, that was Freedom Beach, over the hill to the south of Tri Trang.

Good post Old Croc.

That horrible green fence really spoiled that beach.

I used to swim there ( outside the dead reef ) a bit .

The last time I did so it became apparent to me that the prevailing current came from near Patongs main beach ( or filthy klong ) and in it was some sort of oil that smelt like cooking oil.

If that is the case I doubt any marine life will thrive in oily water.

The other thing worth mention is that there was no public announcements or environmental impact assessments made that Im aware of.

If the original 500 rai of healthy natural reef died off, why do they assume that 2 rai of weird concrete blocks is going to evolve into a wonderful healthy reef?

Surely the original causes that killed off reef have to be fixed first? (Could they be over-fishing, pollution and global warmingsad.png ?)

If they were fixed there would probably be no reason to sink concrete blocks.

The concrete block approach has already been tried on Phi Phi and Shark Point marine park. After a decade the blocks have shown almost no coral growth. Why should this attempt be successful?

If the original 500 rai of healthy natural reef died off, why do they assume that 2 rai of weird concrete blocks is going to evolve into a wonderful healthy reef?

Surely the original causes that killed off reef have to be fixed first? (Could they be over-fishing, pollution and global warmingsad.png ?)

The concrete block approach has already been tried on Phi Phi and Shark Point marine park. After a decade the blocks have shown almost no coral growth. Why should this attempt be successful?

Tin mining using dredgers.

No concrete blocks at Shark Point, was never attempted there.

Many of those blocks at several divesites at Racha Yai, and it is working very well there. Also at to Tri Trang comparable sites like e.g. Kata Beach the blocks are looking good, with lots of marine life. That is after about 5 years or so.

Nobody said anything about coral growing on blocks. The blocks are habitat to try and replace the dead coral. Habitat for ocean creatures to live and spawn in. Its done all over the world.

Many of those blocks at several divesites at Racha Yai, and it is working very well there. Also at to Tri Trang comparable sites like e.g. Kata Beach the blocks are looking good, with lots of marine life. That is after about 5 years or so.

Blocks are at the north west of Shark Point 3.

Nobody said anything about coral growing on blocks. The blocks are habitat to try and replace the dead coral. Habitat for ocean creatures to live and spawn in. Its done all over the world.

The OP states

hope within five years be a flourishing coral reef

he did not say a flourishing concrete reef.

And you think you understand what the people really meant when they said those words if in fact those are the words used. Ever heard of the words context or translation?

Bottom line in no way, shape or fashion could concrete fish houses ever grow into a healthy coral reef in 5 years. A little reading between the lines is in order here. Concrete fish houses work if placed in good areas. It will difficult in the bay but, it will most definitely work better than is what there now.

Blocks are at the north west of Shark Point 3.

At many places in the area concrete blocks are working well, attracting fish and slowly slowly becoming an artificial reef, but this will take time.

Your post makes on many fronts no sense.

<snip>

<snip>

That large development appears to be the Rosewood Phuket, as far as I can tell. According to their website, its a high-end hotel/residence set on 40 acres (which would be about 100 rai).

I find it amusing that they seem to have re-branded Ao Patong as "Emerald Bay" on all of their promotional literature. Although it sits directly on Patong Bay, at TriTrang beach, and has a clear view of Patong Beach, Patong city, and probably Thanon Bangla, it seems they're trying to distance themselves from Patong.

As for the huts that were put up by the K-clan, we had a guy doing some work at our house a while back who was bragging about how little it cost to build those. Especially if you don't have to buy the land. Glad to hear they were knocked down.

<snip>

I find it amusing that they seem to have re-branded Ao Patong as "Emerald Bay" on all of their promotional literature. Although it sits directly on Patong Bay, at TriTrang beach, and has a clear view of Patong Beach, Patong city, and probably Thanon Bangla, it seems they're trying to distance themselves from Patong.

I've always thought that was called Emerald Beach, at least waht we called it almost 20 years ago.

I always though TriTrang was on the Merlin Beach side of the land. I remember the days before the Merlin and just a small bar/eaterie on the Emarld side.

<snip>

I've always thought that was called Emerald Beach, at least waht we called it almost 20 years ago.

I always though TriTrang was on the Merlin Beach side of the land. I remember the days before the Merlin and just a small bar/eaterie on the Emarld side.

You're Probably right - Emerald Beach, although Google Maps places TriTrang beach exactly where this new development is. I've never heard of Emerald Bay, but I suppose that since Kalim Bay refers to the northern portion of Patong Bay, then I guess Emerald Bay could refer to the southern portion.

Now I think about it - it was also known as Crystal beach ...

A quick google search reveals ...

"There is a bit of confusion about the few beaches in the southern part of Patong, so let's clarify. Once you pass the southern bridge of Patong and drive past the Amari Coral Beach Resort you will reach the Merlin Beach Resort which has the one called, you guessed it 'Merlin Beach' or 'Tri Trang Beach'. It's not visible from the road and I'll write about it soon. Right opposite of it, is the long 'Tri Tra Beach'. This is probably where part of the confusion came from, it was sometimes called 'Emerald Beach', and sometimes 'Crystal Beach'."

Source - http://www.phuket101.net/2011/02/tri-trang-beach-emerald-beach-or.html

Thanks DrDave.

Whatever the name, it seems the beach will be incorporated into the resort (without actually building illegally on the sand) and as good as lost to the general public.

I see they claim to have 600 metres of beach frontage.

Edited by Old Croc