Officialdom – What to do and not to do

Inspire

Officialdom – What to do and not to do

gerry.jpg

For most people coming to Thailand officialdom begins either outside the country or within it dealing with Thai immigration.

It seems to be the bane of so many people’s lives in the kingdom seen less as an unavoidable chore and more as a thing to be dreaded.

Probably the best way to preserve your sanity is to take a good book though these days a phone with a good connection should suffice. It is terrible to be in a rush and liable to cause the one thing that has to be avoided…impatience.

While I would certainly say that things have speeded up no end in Thailand over the last thirty years, officialdom is still apt to take a big chunk out of anyone’s day.

Keeping your cool, both figuratively and physically is vital. I mean look at it from the official’s point of view too. Many just want to get through the day as pleasantly as possible. They don’t need any grief and the more pleasant you can make their day the more fruitful and expedient yours will surely become. Karma, cause and effect, or just human nature really.

It is no use fighting against the regulations even though Thais are some of the best benders of regulations on the planet; it is all a question of strategy.

In my early days I got it all wrong. I found myself at Sadao in the far south in 1982 having to get over the border and pop back on tourist visas. On the way out it was galling to be asked for a contribution to the immigration officers holiday fund just because it was a Sunday and my friend and I made a fuss…a prime example of bringing Western values of not paying officialdom for doing their job. I understood later why it was quite OK to help underpaid officers with their salaries in certain situations.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/officialdom/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-04-23

though Thais are some of the best benders of regulations on the planet

You've clearly led a very sheltered life if you think Thailand is high on the list of rule benders. It might seem so for many farang who come from countries where the anal-retentive culture motivates officialdom, but for many of us in Thailand dealing with immigrations simply requires compliance with the rules and regulations with no rule bending required.

Edited by Suradit69

You've clearly led a very sheltered life if you think Thailand is high on the list of rule benders.

ehhh .... i think meant rule bending for "their" behalf ...... makes better sense .

"While I would certainly say that things have speeded up no end in Thailand over the last thirty years". This made me laugh.

Perhaps things were more difficult and time consuming 30 years ago, but 10 years ago sorting out retirement extensions/90 day reports were a lot quicker and easier than they are now.

You've clearly led a very sheltered life if you think Thailand is high on the list of rule benders. It might seem so for many farang who come from countries where the anal-retentive culture motivates officialdom, but for many of us in Thailand dealing with immigrations simply requires compliance with the rules and regulations with no rule bending required.

not sure you quite got his meaning, your example is actually you trying to bend the rules and a Thai official agreeing your offer - you of course implying you would never do such a thing

I believe what he is talking about is how Thais in general bend their own rules without the help of any foreigner, they will do anything to avoid the official lawful path but offering/accepting backhanders - it's generally referred to as corruption